1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Diesel vs. Petrol, to Accompany Linea MJD

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Alok Sabade, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Alok Sabade

Alok Sabade Timido

Pune
    Linea 1.3
    I'm in this dilemma. I'm looking to buy a Punto in the pre-worshipped market, where difference between the two would not be significant. Core reason for this dilemma is emissions disadvantage of diesel against petrol. From there, 2 points crop up:

1) Fear of Ban - 10y+ diesel engines are banned in Delhi already - although I don't live in Delhi, I'm scared that if something similar is implemented here, both of my cars would get banned - sooner or later!
    2) I feel that the ban is not unjust, it's all for good reason. The pollution is a cause of concern, and diesels do pollute more.

Factor of dilemma comes from the fact that I think I understand the advantages of a diesel (from my 2012 Linea MJD Emotion Pack) - is it a sacrifice of sorts to NOT to buy another diesel? I have read a lot of posts pointing to superiority of the MJD. Would I be making a mistake going for Tjet/FIRE?

My usage will be ~600kms/month, strictly in the city - this car will NEVER be taken for long drives.

2. pdash

pdash Regolare

Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi, For 600Kms monthly run you do not need a diesel car, rest is up to you.

Alok Sabade likes this.
  3. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Your monthly running warrants a petrol for sure. If its Fiat you are interested in you can go with 1.2 Dynamic variant which has decent pep for city drives and reaches 60-70 km/hr quite easily, thanks to the early max torque delivery. The only con I see is that it is devoid of safety features but if its the city where the vehicle would be used all the time then you can take the plunge. IMHO the 1.2 is a nice city car.

The 1.4 punto if you get is also nice and the top variant comes with the safety features as well but then it's torque is delivered at higher RPMs (when compared to 1.2) because of which its extra power wont be accessible much in the city drives.

Alok Sabade likes this.
  4. Alok Sabade

Alok Sabade Timido

Pune
    Linea 1.3
    This is very tempting, but...

this is an absolute must! I'd definitely miss the early torque delivery due to this, I'm sure.

5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Esperto

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Then hunt for a Punto 1.4. It has a sweet engine with somewhat inaccessible power in lower RPMs but then even the Honda 1.2 ivtec isn't very peppy in lower RPMs. You would love the raspy note the 1.4 makes though when revved.

Alok Sabade likes this.
  6. Alok Sabade

Alok Sabade Timido

Pune
    Linea 1.3
    I dare say that same is the case with my Linea MJD :smuggrin: