1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Clutch Issue

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by amargawade90, May 23, 2013.

1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

@ Diesel clutch would always be harder than small petrol cars try comparing with some other Punto/Linea. Clutch eventually do get hard as one clock kms leave it as it is as long as gear shifting is OK and no slippage. Ask ASS to oil the clutch actuator rod would loosen the clutch a bit.

@ ramu-dodda There is no average associated with clutch life. It's just how one uses clutch I changed stock clutch kit @ 86k kms(that too just because I had to get gearbox opened for speedo gear replacement otherwise it would have lasted more only clutch release bearing was shot and making noises reason for this was lack of lubrication due to water entry as one boot on top of gearbox had gone missing, pressure plate and clutch had some more life in them) and I have seen cars with over 1 lac kms with stock clutch
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

I'm planning on doing this please let me know if its possible.
    I will buy a new clutch kit and install it for my leh trip then once back I will revert to the old kit itself and use it till it dies by itself.

Would this have any adverse effects?
    Is it ok to be clutch swapping like this . Will there be any effect on the new clutch kit especially since it will be used for a while and then stocked up somewhere in my garage?
  3. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Retro / Classic FIAT

I recently had the clutch replaced on my Palio Stile Multijet, The New Clutch kit costed me 4600 and the labour costed me 3000 :eek:.
    The Amount of work that goes into changing a Clutch kit is huge, the Axle, Suspension and the exhaust and the GearBox have to come off, its not worth paying the high labour for swapping the clutch kits.

But I would suggest you to hold on to your old Clutch kit(if they are very fresh), which can be used when the new one needs replacement.
    But again, there will be stresses which make the clutch weak internally over time with use, And any moment it can fail. LIke in my case, the Pressure Plate Failed all of a sudden at traffic light, The next moment, I am not able to change gears. I had to ride in 2nd gear for 5 kms to reach the garage.

The Failed Pressure Plate

Almost New CLutch Plate

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Shamis

Shamis Timido

Sorry to hijack and going off topic from the Clutch issue of amargawade90, my Punto 1.3 MJD Emo Pk Oct 2009 model with odo reading of 95K is in Oberoi Motors, Noida since 11 May 2013. There was lot of smoke with no pick up/turbo pull and an odd vrooooom sound while accelerating from 1st gear. On 1st inspection, SA at Oberoi said Turbo Hose may have snapped....after removing the dip stick there was back compression :eek:. When they took the car to Service area, they said 1st thing is Turbo need to be replaced. After that they can diagnose other problem. After some 20 days and doing a Turbo replacement, they said the back compression is the major issue and after thorough check up their conclusion and estimate for the complete overhaul is -

1. Turbo Replacement (Not RECON) : Rs. 22,500/-
    2. Half Engine Block Replacement : Rs. 49,000/-
    3. Timing Chain : Rs. 5000/-
    4. Engine Oil, Filter, etc for new Block : Rs. 5500/-
    5. Other Half Engine Block Workmanship : Rs. 2500/-
    TOTAL ESTIMATED VALUE : Rs. 84,500/-

Would value your feedback and input on the above.

If Mods think the topic to be shifted to some other thread, kindly advice.
  5. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    Isn't engine block covered in warranty? how old is your car?
  6. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    all parts will be covered in extended warranty so please confirm if you have extended warranty also get in touch with FIAT
  7. Since last week my clutch suddenly feels hard like rock for a few seconds again it is back to normal.
    Today got it down to kht motors there they bled the clutch and suggested me I drive and report back.
    While coming back the clutch again started feeling heavy and this time this was for longer duration.

Experts can you please throw some light on this problem, kht suggested they will check the master slave cylinder assembly..please reply urgently guys..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

1 person likes this.
  9. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Does not make sense at all,why do you want to take the car apart to replace again?
    When used properly a clutch should easily last past 1L kms
  10. Is this under warranty?
    In my 2009 punto I had problem because the master Cylinder was plastic type but I thought in the newer cars this problem was rectified..
    If not in warranty how much will it cost?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2