1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto brake disc

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ashtek, Jul 12, 2012.

1. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad

I guarantee you, this issue will return after 5K kms. I have done 68K kms on my punto, the disks were changed on my expenses once and Warranty twice, wheel hubs were changed under warranty. The issue disappears for a few thousand kms and reappears each time. Im thinking the problem might be with the calipers or may be bent alloys.

My alloys were slighty bent and they were fixed but im not sure if they are fixed perfectly. Im not sure about what the symptoms on your car are, but my steering wobbles only when slightly tapping the brake to slow down, if the brakes are fully applied, there is no wobble.

There is one more thread discussing this issue.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  2. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Yes, that's the symptom precisely.
    Which is the thread please?
  3. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
  4. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    I am noticing similar symptom on my Linea and I am starting to live with it. I never had this problem on my Punto though.
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Firstly, you need not live with this problem.

Please ask the service center to check this and rectify (replace rotors and brake pads). This could be due to faulty rotors. A few cars manufactured in 2012 has this problem, but no official recall has been made by Fiat.

Note - the warranty will be honoured if the car is has run less than 10,000 on the odometer.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  6. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    ^^ The Rotors and Pads only resolve the issue temporarily. Im on my 4th set of rotors. Were replaced twice under warranty.

Kiran anna, i believe your Punto had the older model calipers. Im just suspecting an issue with the newer calipers but im not sure. But even before the calipers, i doubt the alloys. It is very much possible that your alloys might have got slight bends during our trip given the road conditions.

If you remember, i tested if there is juddering on your car when we started for the trip and there was none. A lot could have changed during the trip, get the wheels opened up and visually inspected when you find some time.

I wanted to swap wheels with someone and test it for a long time now but didn't get the opportunity. May be i'll buy 15 incher steel rims just to test these and also keep the rims for highway drives. Storage place for the rims is the only problem.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  7. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    In that case let's test the issue again when we meet next time. May be its my psychological feeling.
  8. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Well you were right. The issue resurfaced within 7k km after last discs replacement. This time I also found that the life of brake pads was almost over (26k km), so I got new brake pads fitted and the discs skimmed. The issue of steering judder on slight tapping of brake pedal at triple digit speeds is gone, only to surface again someday (I hope not).
    vj_v1 likes this.