1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto brake disc

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ashtek, Jul 12, 2012.

1. ashtek

ashtek Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Gurjinder,
    They had checked the pads and said they are fine, do I still insist on replacing them?
    Will there be any issue if only discs are replaced (assuming existing pads are fine)?

They should be receiving the new discs today, I would be going there sometime this week.
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    There is no issue if the pads are fine. But if they are saying it just to avoid replacement then it can create problem. A bad pad can create problem to disc which is relatively costlier part than pad.As gurjinder suggested it is always better to change them both to avoid risk which is a usual practice. Here we don't know which was the actual culprit.
    Insist on them to replace pads.
  3. ashtek

ashtek Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Brake discs replaced yesterday, now there's no vibration while braking or at high speeds.
    I insisted on chaging brake pads, but they said pads are perfectly fine and no need to replace them at all.
  4. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Experts, Please guide me.
    As per SA I need to replace my brake pad and brake disc. My ODO is 16K. One disc is having one scratch line.

Can anybody please explain what is the factor for changing brake disc. Is it scratch mark or thickness????
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Post pictures of disc only than someone can say if it's necessary to replace or not.

A few lines don't harm braking much and if you drive on roads with pebbles they would return soon again. Leave it as it is if braking is fine and no shuddering is observed just check the thickness of brake pads. ASS unnecessarily insist on changing disc and pads together. I changed my disc somewhere around 60k kms when it's thickness went below specified range and it had few lines on front and back.
    1 person likes this.
  6. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for your reply. I have steel rim. So not possible to take pics. Any tip would be great help.

Sent from my Micromax A110 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  7. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Does the Brake disc comes under warranty???
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I think it does. Has some clause like 24 months or certain KMs. Check the warranty booklet.
  9. vipinpradeep

vipinpradeep Amatore

malappuram,kerala
  10. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Symptom: Steering used to wobble when brakes were applied at speed 90 km/hr or above leaving me scared right at that moment.
    Source of problem: Brake disc were out of shape as diagnosed by FASS (Pandit Auto).
    Resolution: Changed the brake discs. No more steering wobble. Brake pads remain unchanged.
    Dent on wallet: Nil. AT 17000 KM and 1.5 years into ownership this was covered under warranty.