1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Alloy wheel bent, is there a way to get it removed

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by clash81, Oct 10, 2011.

1. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Alloys bent. what next?

Okay, here i join the bandwagon of bent alloys.

Recently i found out that there is a bulge on my left front tyre. I read up a lot about that on the internet and found out that it could be the rupture of the sidewalls of the tyre. Little did i know that my car's alloys would also be bent. But that was the case.

This long weekend i drove to my home town, as it was puja, i couldnt find a place to replace my faulty tyre. So i took a risk and drove down 300 odd kms to my town. There i found a place to change the tyres and alas,i found that the alloy of the tyre which had a bulge was bent.

The tyre shop fella recommended to move the bent alloy from front to back and convinced me that it was a small bent (It is) and would not affect the stability and shock absorbers in the vehicle.

Now, i am confused. Should i stick with those alloys or change them? Can we take it to some shop to get the bent rectified?
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    competent tyre walas do repair bent alloys. go to some big shop where there is balancing machine too. bent alloys can be repaired.

P.S Fiat alloys are damn expensive to replace.
  3. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    What kind of shops should i approach for getting the alloys fixed? I mean some kind of machining shops?

Yeah, the alloys cost 13k apiece, thats what i heard. so damn expensive.

I checked all over internet for this problem. Have not found an issue with another car so far. I think Fiat alloys are not tempered for Indian conditions.
  4. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Both Punto and Linea alloys are Rs. 9900/piece as per the Fiat india website. Not sure if any VAT will be added though.
  5. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
  6. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Wow thats some great piece of info. Thank you - sdp1975!!

I cannot recall any particular incident which could have led to this bent.

I am still contemplating if i need to replace the alloy or not. It doesn't seem to be a very fatal shape change.
  7. i got mine fixed a while back. Go to any wheel threwer and he might be able to help you. And get the wheel balanced after the job is done. It is advisable you put that wheel at the left rear, which would have the least load under normal conditions
  8. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    J Ravi's Linea alloys were bent and FIAT agreed to bear 50% of the cost of replacing the alloys. You can see if Fiat agrees to something like this in your case.
  9. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Isnt that gonna be a lengthy affair. I don't have the drive in me for a fight now. So i think i wouldn't fight to get a warranty claim on that.
  10. Buy steel rims with blijg wheel caps.
    You can get the wheel repaired

Peace.....