1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Active Power Windows behaving like a Ghost when it Rains

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Gorav, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Gorav

New Delhi
    Hi Guys,

Last week I was driving and it was raining. Suddenly, my front left power window went down without me pressing the button down. when I pressed the button to roll it up, the same moment driver side power window went down. After that both the windows were doing up down randomly. I was scared as if there is a Ghost in the Car :-(

I had to press hold both the buttons in order to keep them up while driving.:evil:

After a while the buttons were stuck and nothing was happening. no up no down. Well, I somehow managed to roll the windows up. I took the car to Kashyap Service station , Delhi. They told me that the motor is alright. Maybe, some water got into the window and relay got jammed. surprisingly, that morning I took car to FASS, there was absolutely no issue with the power windows. :eek::mad:

Yesterday again, it was raining in Delhi while I was driving. I parked my car and pressed the right front power window up to see if they are properly closed. As soon as I pressed the button up, the window rolled down and it won't come up. after 3 mins it came up.

Help me here guys !!
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    It has to be something related to water seepage in the window only.

When you took it to Kashyap last time, was it still raining?

They should check and fix the weather guard properly inside the window.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    This is really scary, to drive in night with your window going up and down :).

BTW, try to recreate situation, I mean even if its not raining, try to put lots of water and see if window is malfunctioning, if yes, it will be easier to show to service center.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    This can happen if the window switches on driver's side, have a connector issue, removing and refixing can help. Most probably this issue will resolve by itself if there is water inside, that drains out after some days. Try to park in shade in a dry area and see if this problem happens again after few hours.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Gorav

New Delhi
    Thanks for the advice. I will keep in mind about weather guard and connecter thing. Only issue is that this malfunction is random. It might not come up when the car s at FASS
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

This is straight out of Ramsay movies man.:eek:

I couldnt understand how can the relay get jammed. Does it mean water ingressed into the relay too? If the relay got jammed then shouldnt the fuse blow ideally on high current during operating the windows? Water ingress could be a pereneial issue when the car is washed, surely the relay dont behave erratically after the the wash. I guess there is more to it than just the relay malfunction.:confused:
  7. Gorav

New Delhi
    Well, today morning while driving, the right power window front, went down and refused to come up. So, I redirected my car towards Kashyap motors, Okhla, Delhi. As soon as I reached there, again, the power windows were functioning alright :evil:

The guy checked the whole circuit and told me that relay is alright because had there been even a slightest problem in relay switch, the window wouldn't function at all.

So he checked all the wires and nothing was wrong. Then he checked the power window controller located below the glove box and there was some moss powder kind of thing on it. Electrician told me that sometimes it happens because of moisture inside the car. But I don't remember any washing / dry cleaning done so hard that water gets into a part located that deep inside. He assured me it won't happen again. Otherwise I might have to get my controller replaced (INR 6700) and he said most prob its not covered under extended warranty.