1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Active - Can we use R14 as spare when all tyres are on R15

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by krismask, Jan 22, 2014.

1. krismask

krismask Amatore

Chennai
    Hi all, please help me with this clarification. I am planning to change my Punto Active's R14 rims to R15 rims or alloys. In that case, can I use R14 tyre/Rim as spare when all tyres/rims are on R15?
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I am not expert but I dont think it will be recommended. Not sure about it.

You can use but for couple of kilometers.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes you can use, I am using my 14" rim as spare, with 185/70 tyre.
    All other tyres are 15" OEM Alloy with 195/60 size.

The thing is the spare wheel is rarely used, in my 50K+ KM, i might have driven <50KM with spare wheel. I have used only when any of 4 tyres got puntchered, and replace with normal tyre immediately after fixing it.
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    You can use the 14 inchers for short distances until you get the punctured tyre fixed. However, since you intend to go for 15 inch alloys, I would personally prefer a 15 inch steel rim with the 15 inch tyre, this will give you peace of mind if you are traveling long distances.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Even i am using the 14" Rim as a spare with the OEM JK tyre, i have kept it only for emergency during puncture which could be driven for couple of kilometers, i think its safe to drive with it and same for other Variants and 5th alloy is not available.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I guess Fiat doesnt want you to have that peace of mind, hence give the 14" steel rim as standard spare even though the model comes with 15" alloys. Cant understand the logic by Fiat.

If the 14" rims are used in situations needed, would this affect the wheel alignment? Also since the spares are rarely wheel balanced, will it cause any drastic change in the ride quality.
  7. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    I have set of 17 inch with 215/45 profile where as spare tyre is 175/70/r14 no . Problem in using small spar tyre

Sent from my C6602 using Tapatalk
  8. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    As long as it is spare tyre we should use it for Emergency purpose only

Sent from my C6602 using Tapatalk
  9. krismask

krismask Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks everyone, I am planning to use the R14 as spare during emergency only(In case of puncture, driving to a nearest puncture shop). I guess with all your inputs its ok to have R14 as spare while using R15 tyres for short distances.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Bhilai
    Linea 1.3
    The main issue is to keep the outer circumference same as far as possible.
    The difference in the rim size between the 14" and 15" is to be compensated by an increase in the height of the tyre.
    e.g. A regular 15" alloy with 195/60 tyres will have the same circumference (almost) as a 14" spare rim with 185/70 tyre as moderator Ravi is using.
    So it does not create any problem.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.