1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Active 1.3 MJD - Fog Lights (Torrid Goregaon Response)

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sachin koltekar, Feb 16, 2015.

1. sachin koltekar

sachin koltekar Novizio

Mumbai
    Andheri east
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ghodlur @asimpleson

Guys correct me if I am wrong...

*With regards to all electrical & electronics they are routed through Body Control Module ( BCM ) , we don’t recommend any modification /change , this may affect the electrical /electronics of car & warranty

1. by above statement they only mean electrical warranty of car will be void... but engine items will be under warranty along with body parts am I correct ???

2. Battery warranty is only for an year so how does it matters.

I also spoke with the supplier of electrical items - "SABI" from Mumbai to all FIAT service centre and he was also ready to install this lights and he said he will make sure that your warranty will not be void.

I think Fiat Service Centre is using VOID as an weapon to irritate FIAT FANs :arghh:..
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    1. No the entire car warranty will be affected and not just the electricals.
    2. Is it mentioned in the battery warranty card of 1 year only? Need to check mine to confirm it.

Vendors/Sellers would always assure you that warranty will not be void, but the moment something goes wrong with the car and you visit FASS the first thing in their defence is additions made to the car and thats enough for them to reject any claims.
    Sudhi and sachin koltekar like this.
  3. AnilNeilKumar

AnilNeilKumar Timido

Bangalore
    Basvangudi
    Punto Evo 1.3
    I remember reading this in the forum somewhere that it will be using additional connection which comes with a fuse hence wont void electric warranty ?

Checked the same with Aadhya motors Bangalore they has promised to get it done at the first service as its not an accessory but a spare part and has assured me that electrical warranty will not be void if its factory fitted
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @sachin koltekar that includes fire hazards. Third party supplier/vendor supplier of FIAT will still remain third party, meaning his assurance could go as far as giving a good solution, but nothing that can cover you in case of any electrical malfunctions, including alternator, ecu, bcm and other expensive items that could be prone to damage due to modifications.

FOG lamps, cutouts etc. have a tendancy to burn. I have seen one aftermarket cutout near dashboard catching fire in a blink of a second in an old car of mine, but we managed to doze it off, tanks to a roadside tabela with big cans of water at Jogeshwari, SV Road. Had we been somewhere else that fire could have spread and gutted the car.

As ghodlur suggested, remember the infamous Audi R8 burnt down on Sea-link at Mumbai. The blame game does not help.

My suggestion, you speak to Michael @RS and leave it to him. Do buy a good aftermarket wiring kit with good insulation. And ofcourse avoid excessive modifications. I know they dont entertain risky propositions.
    kedarbendre and sachin koltekar like this.
  5. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @asimpleson, that is some scary thought you have put in...
    My Palio is a Base model car and back in 2005 I have installed the OE Fog Lamp, however as Palio is a Simple with mechanics and Electronics(Except the ECU) I was able to install the Fog lamp exactly as OE. I have the Switch on the Dashboard(Exacltly as Company Fit)however I have external Wiring/Fuse installed. It is a Decade old story now, running all Good.

Coming to Punto/Linea, the Fogs are part of BCM, it has a electonic brain to control the Fog lamp, which will allow you to turn Fog Lamp only if you your Parking Lights are ON and you can turn your Rear Fog Lamp only if either Front Fog or Headlamps are ON.

What Aadya has promised is an external wiring/Switch. I fell that it is not a bad idea, there shouldnt be issuess regarding to Electicals because that is the Last failur anyone would see in a car.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes Anup, I am saying this taking into account the worst. As far as there are no short-circuits and given switches or relays or wirings are of grade and routed properly, there should not be any issues. But also things like electrical failures of some sensitive components have happened too often to people due to some direct/indirect consequences of modifications; and also all companies want to save themselves from lawsuits and disrepute. This cut-out burning incidence is so old (about 20years back) but thanks to the presence of mind of our trusty driver, some very bad consequences could be averted. Company engineers take into account prior experience and possible failures and design things for minimal to zero risk. So if wiring and components can be managed as much as in stock conditions then its for the best.

Ever seen horns of parked cars activate automatically and continously? :)
  7. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Putting high watt bulbs in the fog lamp will generate excess heat. So I would say if you are going for this extra fitting,, use LED bulbs which generate more light with less power consumption .
  8. sachin koltekar

sachin koltekar Novizio

Mumbai
    Andheri east
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys,

Got done my first free service from RS motors and review has been shared - https://www.teamfiat.com/reviews/fi...ervice/r-s-motors-mumbai.43/discussion?page=3

Spoke with Kailash the person who attended the vehicle and he refused for additional company fitted fog lights :arghh::arghh: and I had that naughty smile on my face hearing the same dialogue o_O.

I had done my homework, before going to RS motors had discussion in the forum, spoke with Prabudas from FIAT, later spoke with Valsan Kumar (FIAT) and he said it can be done - he recommended to speak with Michael and get it done.

Spoke with Rajendra, told them about discussion with Valsan and they agreed for extra fitting. Checked the prize for fog lights and it was approximately 6000 for pair :mad::mad::mad:.

Gave smile to Rajedra and told him I will change my plan from company fitted fog lights to additional driving lights on grill and updated him I will get Neolite 1050, and the conversation ended with :):):).

Michael and Rajendra both updated it might take time and I have to leave the car for 5-6 hours. He asked me to get light and switch, wiring they have in Service Centre.

All set - soon Punto MJD will be in ABARTH front shape.... Punto.jpg

Any suggestion or advice ????
  9. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Give a thought to changing the stock bulbs to 100/90 bulbs, by adding wiring kit with relay, fuse and ceramic holder ( hella / phillips / bosch). I did that and its better, the light is much better than the phillips Xtreme vision bulbs also.

Fog lamps would not solve your purpose in highway. The total cost of the above steps will be 1200-1500 depending on brand. And its a 15 min DIY work. I had a lot of apprehension but got all support and queries resolved from this forum.

I too have Aug'14 MJD Active GP
    Iyu likes this.
  10. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi @sachin koltekar, why you are planning for fogs, instead change the HL bulbs to 43000K HIDs which will give you what you are expecting from the Fogs.