1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Abarth 2015 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Abarth' started by nkrishnap, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    @Arun AC I hear you bro. I was looking for a T-jet Punto from last year as the rumors had started. However, I am content with my 75 MJD now. Maybe in another 5 years I can directly upgrade to a Jeep and a V6 or V8
    Arun AC likes this.
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Hats off to you for such a detailed review and those fantastic pics.

1) Scorpion alloys
    2) Stickers with scorpion although I felt the stickering on the top was not needed at all.
    3) Red OVRM's

Its unfortunate that Fiat still has not done anything on the long gear throw, rubbery gear shifting. The protruding exhaust was another sore thing on the car. Even the seats aren't the bucket type with under thigh support, that's bad. No Abarth tag on the seats either.

A few queries:
    1) Which tyres would be an ideal replacement for the Apollo Alnacs to optimize the ride quality?
    2) Have the B&M being upgraded to resolve the earlier identified issues of inability to change the tracks or select tracks.
    3) What is the major difference between the ventilated and sold disc brakes?

All above said, its is really unfortunate that not a single dealership in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai/Thane has one for Test drive although Fiat has been repeatedly reassuring that there will be a dealership soon in Mumbai to Test drive the beast but not before Dec 2015. It seems Fiat has been more concentrating down south and understandably that's where the sales are.
    mchanna likes this.
  3. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

I took a TD @Aadya,Bangalore..

One word review exhilarating!!!

I drove from mekhri circle to BIAL airport(close to) & back

ONce I turned ON keys,I was surprised to notice very less engine noise, I was wondering whether it even started...

Till 1 to 1.5k car feels normal with more than enough power to move in traffic.

Around 2K you start feeling an addictive rush. In fact when I took a U turn with throttle pressed,I felt the now famous "torque steer" and I had to immediately correct the steer...such things are not experienced in normal cars

Then once I found an clean road patch..started accelerating..amazing is how car moves from 60 kmph to 120 kmph in absolutely no time you don't even feel at what speed you are unless you see speedometer or fast moving cars in your rear view mirror in opposite direction :)

Compared to my punto gear shifts were smoother & clutch were similar unless you really concentrate you don't feel rubbery shift my opinion so not a major issue as some folks are mentioning. TD yourself.

Brakes were amazing, I had to break hard at 140 for a right moving canter and it stopped without a fuss. 4 disc brakes showing its presence.

Suspension is stiffer and on highway I felt like I was floating in air with no feel of road :)

Couple of drainage culverts while exiting highway were not even noticed. I can guarantee that those culverts were little deep..

I was enjoying the attention I was getting on road from fellow drivers. I think people are in awe of spotting such a beauty..

Best part was couple of Innovas and IVTECs which tailed me were thrown a long way away. they must be wondering what the hell the difference being how abarth moved from 60 to 120 kmph again. even I took time to realize this sight was not normal!!

Somehow I felt there were two major turbo rushes one at 2.25k to 3k and another 3.5 to 4k rpm. the latter one a dangerous rush where you move from 120 to well past 150. I could touch close to 160 kmph given it was a busy mid day road. I silently smiled at the SA's cringing act to seats whenever I accelerated :) Poor guy he has to put through maniacs like us everyday now.

Changing tyres may be makes sense definitely less grippier than my Falken.

I just wanted to do a TD to feel abarth. now I'm seriously considering buying one!!

The best moment was how cars disappear in rare view mirror so quickly.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
  4. Arun AC

Arun AC Timido

Grande Punto 1.3
    Honestly, an upgrade plan like yours, if done by me, will have a major impact on my finance as well as fiance :dead: Anyway, the spreadsheet is on from morning and serious calculations are underway subject to approval from home ministry..
  5. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    @nkrishnap & @CrAzY dRiVeR,

Very Good Review Both.

I am back after long time, Appreciate both of your effort & time for this review.

As the TJET motor was due in Punto always after Fiat introduced Linea T Jet. Now Fiat introduced it in a Scorpion design, nothing could have been better than this.

I am not able to test ABARTH till now, waiting for the same. Below observations are extensive driving of Linea Tjet, MJD & ECU tuned MJD. This observation made into consideration as this is India tailored ABARTH, not the full ABARTH ( like 595, or SS which has all ABARTH accessories)

1. Due to limitation of Gearbox, the torque is limited to 212 compare to Linea Tjet 207 & MJD’s 209 NM- best part in Indian Abarth is the torque range 2000-4000 RPM, which made this flat out range for 212 NM torque, which I liked most, unless other car has fixed RPM as 2200 & 2000 RPM respectively.
      2. Power is bumped to 113 to 145 BHP in ABARTH Punto, to handle it all disc brake, intercooler, bigger turbo etc other part added. Welcome move for the enthusiast.
      3. GC has been reduced to 155mm from 185, Delight character for me as the composed & elegant smooth driving you can get from Lower GC- I always loved this, Kudos to Fiat for doing this to ABARTH Punto.
      4. Pricing:- As speculated Fiat made the Car Price flat at 9.95L ex-showroom. I can say this price Fiat made it beautifully and this is not at all overpriced in my opinion considering component used/added in ABARTH.
      5. Manual gearbox:- there are many debate about Fiat gear box, I am using it for last 5.5 years. Fiat has improved gear feel slightly in Facelifted Linea/EVO/Avventura. Only I found the feel of gear is rubbery. It is not at all very bad, only 1st & 2nd gear was with long ratio. I am using ECU updated FL Linea where 2nd gear is changed considerably and 3rd is explosive now. You can use 2nd gear from 1000-4000 RPM easily now. Based on this I assume that ABARTH Punto gear will be much better than this. AS I don’t like AT ( except which are with Sport mode with paddle shifter). I have driven only one AT car which has both ( Jetta DSG, it is firecracker but I didn’t felt the enthusiastic feeling than Manual 6 speed Jetta).
      6. Competition:- None, As GT TSI ( as this is very good & practical car with AT lovers) is far behind from this, unless VW launch 1.4 TSI with good package. 1.4 lit motor attract more tax than 1.2, so price wise I can say this price is less compare to GT TSI ( consider updated component in ABARTH EVO) and this is very good price to become mass market India specific ABARTH Punto.
    This CAR I can say FIAT Punto TJET with India specific ABARTH feel. And Fiat had done a superb Job more than what was expected for Punto TJET.

Looks:- Anyday I like the Grande Punto Looks, and that killer looks could have made the eternal design for Indian ABARTH. In ABARTH Punto I didn’t like this sticker in bonnet, roof, and hatch door, Fiat could have done the bumper chrome part with glossy black instead of red bit.

Fiat has drastically changed its FL Linea/Punto Evo/Avventura with ECU tuning, and very less people are aware of this and did in 2014 made cars. 2015 cars are coming with new MAP, Which I will update in my Linea thread shortly. So People should feel far better in ABARTH Punto.

Finally, Fiat has completed Punto & Linea fulfilled with TJET motors. Hope Fiat will able to recover image more than earlier.
  6. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

I actually did a TD of Punto EVo 90hp right after Abarth today and it was very clear that it was far better than my 2012 Punto active...76hp...

I felt,there was enough power in 2nd & 3rd gear and also acceleration was quicker...

So,yes I think FIAT has changed Map,gear ratios slightly..
  7. extr3mex

extr3mex Amatore

Now That's a great review. Luckily, I got to test drive the Abarth Punto in Cochin(provided my Hyson motors). This is my personal take on the Abarth:
    • Gear shifts are smooth enough.
    • 145 BHP !!! Daaayyymm!!
    • The actual power kick-in starts after 2K RPM.
    • Great Braking.
    • Head Turner.
    • Comfy seats & have a premium feel to it.
    • Surprisingly Silent cabin.
    • Smooth Engine & less engine noise. (Maybe I felt the difference since I drive a GP 1.3 diesel. It may be the same for those who are already on Petrol variants of the Punto/Linea.)
    • 16 inch alloys looks great.
    The GP Abarth is begging for an exhaust. I cant imagine how crazy it is going to sound if you slip in an aftermarket exhaust(It really needs one). :D I hope FIAT wont cut off the warranty for those who add in an aftermarket exhaust. [The stock exhaust can looks cheap.]

I did check with the sales advisor if FIAT will provide an alternative exhaust as an accessory and he stated that "as per the information from FIAT, they will not be providing an alternative/upgraded exhaust as an accessory".:bigtears:

Just as @nkrishnap mentioned, the tires needs an upgrade.

[Pardon me for the amateur pics. I took it with my phone]
    • Abarth Logo :)
    IMG_20151026_144658.jpg IMG_20151026_143631.jpg

Have taken a few pics of the engine bay for those interested. Hope it helps!]

That Abarth Logo looks stunning!! :woot::woot::woot:

Some Interior Pics.
    • Above the AC vents, you have a small compartment (the small push button is used to open it) where I am guessing you can put your sunglasses there.
    Stock ICE:

• As per information provided by the agent, Abarth comes with "Delphi speakers".
    • Below is how the view of the stock HU setup.

Waiting for the green light! :)

IMG_20151026_145555.jpg IMG_20151026_145555.jpg

The ODO cluster. Clean and simple! :)

With the release of such an amazing car, the only concern is the after sales/service experience from Fiat ASS which really needs an improvement.

I feel its a great move by Fiat to bring up this car with 145 BHP with such a great price tag. This will also bring up some healthy competition which is something we need right now in India.

Drive Safe! :)
    anoop, ramjn, Turbothinghy and 5 others like this.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Anyways the exhaust is already an eyesore protruding out and prone to damage if rear ended. Adding an after market exhaust will result in the same thing.

What I would like to know is how has Fiat managed to keep the engine exhaust un noticeable? Also how is the NVH inside the cabin? Does the bonnet come with the damping as seen in MJD cars??
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

The video from Krishna's post gives a fair idea of NVH inside the cockpit.

Yes, even i am really disappointed by the low exhaust note. A maserati type note would be a kick ass. ;)
    ghodlur likes this.
  10. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    What I'm wondering is... why the hell they did not put the new infotainment system of the linea Elegance? THis is what people seek out in a car!!! also the gear box. this deserved a new Gear box! Anyway great car! :)
    extr3mex likes this.