1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Abarth 2015 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Abarth' started by nkrishnap, Oct 25, 2015.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Why is the lurid-red an aesthetic problem? IMO what matters aesthetically is not that one element (here, the fog lamp bezel) is red black or blue but how it is composed size and colour-contrast-wise with the rest of the front bumper+grill's composition. Here that the grill is all black, without even a border of say chrome or gunmetal, and that the body colours are black as well as white: the red fog lamp thing while lurid in themselves fit right in! and nicely, emphatically differentiate the Abarth Punto from the regular Evo. We don't want cannibalization now, do we: people tend to cross shop based on price, after all, sigh/argh etc!

Besides, it is not merely for effect, euro hot hatches in general and Abarth-s in particular ALWAYS come 'liveried'/'dressed to sting' etc! i.e., this slight luridity (red is the colour of Indo-Italian passion! ;-)) is part of the Abarth authenticity. Why do so many people scoff at bright colours on cars, regarding them as un-manly somehow or immature? AFAI am concerned, the absence of other even more 'lurid' colours is a disappointment albeit understandable: parrot green and Palio yellow with red/black decals why not?

"Let's add some exceptional colour to our white and grey-car-ridden roads, even as we ensure the vehicle has the go, the 'driving-feel' aesthetics to match or indeed exceed the exceptional visual aesthetics/accents." FIAT India seems to've said, and done!

PS: thank you @nkrishnap for the review, pointed and terse while still failing to rein-in/mask your evident-excitement!? ;-)
    This car may sell as fair few, which is to say a hundred a month, in our market, unless what is being said about the 'Yamaha moment' in our market has arrived, which is doubtful imo, esp outside of Bangalore, Pune and Chennai. Let's hope it sells even more than that steadily: the brand and more importantly the dealers will benefit nicely.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
    Turbothinghy, SVN, nbvcrao and 3 others like this.
  2. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    It is Like Finding Something to complain that's It, No Manufacture can give a car which satisfies a customer 100% especially in india.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Awesome review. Punto looking like scorpion in abarth avatar.Truly venemous in its segment.FIAT you have done alot for this product and keeping at reachable price for the performance cars in India.its up to now how market responds.All the best .
    Diwali pataka.
  4. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @nkrishnap & @CrAzY dRiVeR Thank you both for the wonderfully detailed review. This is a wonderful car and the Punto finally has an engine that befits the beautiful chassis that it has. I am not surprised at the initial numbers as there always is a pent up demand for such affordable performance cars/motorbikes. However, it is when the numbers settle in that I am curious about. At the least if Fiat can manage a 100 per month then it would be great and would give Fiat the confidence to launch other sporty models.

Wish lists never end :p but a few things which come to mind (assumption Abarth is doing decent numbers)

1. Solve the gear slotting issue once and for all please - I think a beautiful car deserves so much

2. 6 months down the line have a special version released with the sorted gear slotting (I drive an EVO), some additional gizmos for the market (it does not matter if someone buys it for the engine or the rear view mirror - they are all numbers)

3. In the optional items have the option to change stock tires and stock muffler

4. Just maybe have an advanced version with 6 airbags and more advanced safety features

As I said all of this if the numbers justify or else we are back to Onam editions from our famous brands :D

@nkrishnap and @CrAzY dRiVeR Is it possible to do a road test with some aftermarket accessories fitted in? I am interested with non-stock tires and an aftermarket muffler.
    nkrishnap likes this.
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    I would certainly lovely get my hands on the car to mod it, but difficult to do it, as I dont think Fiat will let me do this to their car and test. Maybe you may have to wait till I pick one up and mod it *wink*
    Turbothinghy and prabhjot like this.
  6. maheshvpy

maheshvpy Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    @nkrishnap, @CrAzY dRiVeR A small typo correction to my previous post

2 cons noted here and in reviews everywhere:

7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hope this sells to some 100 odd delighted driver-souls a month. And quickly attains a semi-cult status. In fact, this last is likely inevitable.

And then, FCA India, launch a detuned and/or, better, a 1.2, tax-benefitted version of this engine at say 105 hp but 180-190 Nm of torque on the 'regular' Punto evo (suspension et al), perhaps in a new matt grey etc shade or two. At 8.xx lakhs. Throw in a gizmo or three and hopefully all this unique-in-india for sincerity, and 'authenticity' effort on the Abarth Punto and Avventura, would perhaps be to really notable financial benefit, for brand and dealers?! Hope that IS indeed the plan.

What makes for even crazier-'authentic' potential is/are what kevin flynn said are other Abarth-ification initiatives BEYOND even the Punto and Avventura. Wondering what that/those could be, I am!! :D:cool::cigar:

Mod Note: Kindly do not type like this..... Makes reading the post a lot more difficult. Please refer to the rules here - https://www.teamfiat.com/threads/tfi-rules.9288/
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good to hear these, but let's not get confused with car with its sales numbers :). Fiat is yet to crack the mystery of sales in India.

Let's enjoy the moment, Abarth is finally here.
  9. Vidhyashankar Kannan

Vidhyashankar Kannan Regolare

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Thank you @nkrishnap for the very detailed review. It is good to see Fiat trying its level best to differentiate itself and set a benchmark in the segment. While the Abarth twins may not set sales statistics rocking, there seems to be some thought put into this whole exercise by Kevin Flynn. Let us not forget that no one expected a 145 bhp car. Everyone expected a competitor to the TSI but not by this much and that too at such a competitive price.

The public need to understand that spares and maintenance of the Abarth twins will be far lower than the DSG mechanicals. The mileage of 10 kmpl in city conditions too is fantastic for such a machine. I appreciate the effort put in by FCA India to do what no one else dared to. Even if the new VW 180 bhp car is out, it is not going to be anywhere near 9.95 lakhs.

But the Indian public are known for their vagaries in desires when purchasing a car. So here's to keeping fingers crossed and hoping for Fiat's longevity in the Indian market.
  10. kirenh

kirenh Regolare

Mumbai/Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Awesome review Guys . Hope I am able to get one at the earliest. :). 2 things which make me think is the stickering & GC.
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.