1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Abarth 2015 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Abarth' started by nkrishnap, Oct 25, 2015.

1. RCP

RCP Amatore

Hyderabad
    how long should we go slow, with the new engine. Please pour knowledge
  2. RCP

RCP Amatore

Hyderabad
    @Passione84 How will u rate Punto abarth's performance vs. Tjet Linea? When I have driven both, on straight line both did almost same, except abarth's initial pick up is very impressive. After 120, both performed very similar. Did u ever get a chance to drive both?

May be we should do a comparison between Abarth and Tjet. I know that the ride is stiffer and handling would be good on Abarth, just wanted to see the real performance differences. Hoping that someone from our team will do that one day.

@prabhjot How will u rate Vento TSI or Polo GT TSI Vs. Linea TJet (I won't talk about Abarth here)
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @RCP

Have not driven (in) the Vento tsi, but in the diesel yes. Have driven the polo tsi, both in india (a friend's) and in the uk (rental). Conclusion: the vento of course but even the Polo is, in its indian avatar, a feku car, relative to the indian Fiat Linea and Punto, and esp relative to its own uk avatar. The Indian Punto drives in every respect just like the italian/uk one, whatever its other differences in chassis componentry etc. Have rented Ford Fiesta-s too on uk trips, and Fiat 500-s: the indian polo gt badged cars are affectations, no more!

Notably and noticeably cost cut in every respect (except visual and cosmetic): loose and squishy suspension (cannot handle routine potholes and speed breakers esp when loaded well, even at low speeds), low gc, un-flat ride, decent handling yes, tinier and compact yes, cheap non-descript steering system, lower build-solidity albeit better than say maruti and hyundai or honda, and very mediocre braking. Refined-enough for slick roaded parts of delhi, but awful everywhere else imo. And price, spares cost and awful warranty treatment, dodgy dsg transmissions, etc etc.

It is a complete non-contest between the Abarth Punto and the Polo 'gt' tsi+dsg, one is a pukka sastaa and tikaaoo Abarth-Fiat, and the all-time great Punto Giugiaro design, pure, the other a fake-oo 'gti' with no virtues as a warm hatch, other than that brilliant red paint-job on a car with emotionlessly banal styling inside and out. I'd buy a souped-up Tata Bolt long before i'd consider an (indian) vw.

And judging from the experiences of friends and family who've experienced VW+skoda in delhi and gurgaon and the uk and bombay: Fiat reliability and even dealers and after-sales quality levels are also, on average, far higher.

The VW group is 'feku' as a matter of course not just in india. It is delightful that they're getting their a comeupance for their utter arrogance and duplicity in the indian market (dismal sales, failed dealers, and humungous losses) as they rightly are in the usa and europe too. They'll have to cough up tens of billions of $ before they get taken seriously again.

Am biased against VW, have been for years....for very good reasons that are now in the open world-over. btw, they're getting away too lightly in India: the union transport minister has barely rapped them on the knuckles. Even the/some 1.2 and 1.4 tsi engines have dodgy emissions in europe and the usa.....etc etc. They are being prosecuted for false advertising in the usa. And in india? 'Das Auto' for overpriced 3-pot engines, and emissions-faking, clattery tdi diesels? 'german engineering' claims with a smug and sneering tone? media-buying and marketing-gross-excess-claims, etc?
    linea4me, asimpleson, RCP and 3 others like this.
  4. RCP

RCP Amatore

Hyderabad
  5. RCP

RCP Amatore

Hyderabad
    @prabhjot and all other Fiatians,

When should I change the oil in my new T-jet. Till date I did just above 1000kms, and thought of changing oil at 2000 kms? Am driving under 2000 rpm most of the times, though I couldn't resist sometimes to hold my right foot. Has anyone did anything above 200km/hr on this car? I took my car yesterday to an abandoned old race track, and was able to touch 200, but then it took some time from 185.

On the general roads, am just doing under 2000 rpm. Wanted to know more on the driving and oil changes. Any inputs are highly appreciated
  6. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    No oil change is required at 2000km. You can stick to 10k kms service interval if you are in hot weather and driving in harsh conditions (this is clearly mentioned in the owner manual, see the attachment).
    Although its not recommended i had changed the engine oil at first service. (5K kms) I'm sticking to 10k service interval. its ok to do some spirited run till first service. I know its hard to resist :) drive safe. IMG_20160509_191654242_HDR.jpg
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @RCP

I've only followed the given schedule as regards oil change etc. Have faced no issues whatsoever, though the car's been scraped, minor-accidented and does NOT like dirty fuel! This last is the only real great-vigilance point for you i'd say.

Caveat: yours is an Abarth and you seem to be enthusiast pukka-enough to enjoy taking it through all its paces. In which case: I imagine a 10000 oil change and extra-frequent filters-cleaning would be good.

Me? I only drive (and am driven, in Delhi gurgaon traffic, albeit at fast times eg., late late night, or very early-morning, often) and like the t-jet not for 'racy'ness but for sheer ease of few-gear shift responsiveness, pertness, patness and flexibility of torque@revs@gears. + the brakes! Still, i'd have bought the Punto or even Avventura t-jet over the Linea, any day, Abarth or not, had it been available in mid-2014. The Linea is just too long (and often 'stressful') to truly enjoy fast-ish, opportunistic city driving in flowing-delhi-guegaon traffic with the t-jet.

Enjoy! cheers
    asimpleson likes this.
  9. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    No matter how much today's technology has made precision machining & matched parts of an engine it's still wise to change the oil of a brand new one as soon as possible to avoid any metal parts to cause wear. Though I'm sure most manufacturers do change the oil once after the test drive, hence recommend changing only at set intervals.
  10. ops

ops Amatore

Kathmandu
    Nepal
    Punto Abarth
    My linea 1.3 mjd emotion under the shadow of Scorpion.

IMG_20160909_070106.jpg