1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Abarth 2015 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Abarth' started by nkrishnap, Oct 25, 2015.

1. maheshvpy

maheshvpy Amatore

Linea T-Jet
    @nkrishnap, @CrAzY dRiVeR Thanks for bringing out the Punto Abarth review.

The car looks smashing even with the stickers / decals all around.

2 cons noted here in reviews everywhere:
    - Rubbery gear-shift: I think FIATs gears become smooth over a period a of time usage. In my T-JET it has become butter smooth now
    - Seating position: It will not be as comfort in other mainstream cars when one first steps in but I think it is a matter of time to find a comfortable position

A big Kudos to FIAT for its efforts. FIAT has primarily focused on mechanical changes to the engine, suspension, brakes in bringing out the car at affordable price making it reachable to lot of people who want a true performance hatchback. Lot of other changes like sports seats, performance exhaust, sports steering wheel, 6 speed gearbox and other gizmos would have pushed the price much higher would have kept the car only to a showroom model car.

The T-JET with 113 BHP Hydraulic steering with all round disc brakes is very addictive to drive on highways despite its large size, soft suspension (pre-2012 set-up). I can only imagine how fantastic it would be to drive the Punto Abarth with 140BHP with stiffer suspension set-up. I'm sure this will set the benchmark for affordable petrol hatchbacks just like T-JET for petrol sedans.

Can you please response on the below 2:
    - Has FIAT included all round anti roll bar to improve the stability and cornering?
    - Has FIAT worked on the suppressing the wind noise which is found otherwise in current Puntos and Lineas?

Thanks once again for bringing out the great review

To add to the above:
    - Any idea if Punto Abarth's suspension can be ported to T-Jet?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  2. Bharath Balasubramanian

Bharath Balasubramanian Timido

Fiat Enthusiast
    Thanks for the write up and it was a good reading!!!

Also i agree this could be the R15 moment for the industry. Also i hope they can do something like this to the Linea!!!
    prabhjot and Naveen.k like this.
  3. Naveen.k

Naveen.k Timido

Definitely Abarth the scorpion is going to rule the Indian Road...:)
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Awesome review, fantastic pictures, great details :D.
    Just reading about Turbo Petrol engine, with 145HP power, brings big smile. Kudos to Fiat, not bothering with falling sales and giving one after another brilliant car for us.
    We all drive Fiat cars and we know with built quality it has, with powerful engine, it is dream to drive these cars.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Yes, you can. Adding an aftermarket silencer will do the job.

Thanks Ravi. This car does bring a smile when driven. Quite a few test drives are turning into bookings. If Fiat can sustain this kind of conversion, it will surely bring about a change in perception about the performance.
    zenwalker and Ravi like this.
  6. cassini

cassini Novizio

Grande Punto 1.3
    Great write up. Thank you guys for investing so much time and effort for this review. That white one looks smashing IMO. Unlike many, I quite liked the red border around fog lamps. Yet to see the car up close to figure out the sticker quality though. But the car looks intense, no doubt about that. And in a market where manufacturers bring RS versions with blue painted plastic wheel covers (I'm looking at you Maruti), Abarth Punto is in a different league altogether.

About the rubbery gearshifts and ergonomics thing. I'm never able get my head around this criticism. As someone who drove around in Swifts, Ritz and SX4s all my life, I quite liked the soft-sprung clutch and smooth-gearshifts of Punto. Same with ergonomics. I'm 6.1" tall and I absolutely hate the more upright seating in many other cars now. May be I got used to Punto ergonomics a little too fast lol. The only drawback I felt while driving my Punto 1.3 is the perceived lack of power. The chassis and build-quality always makes you feel like this car could handle so much more power without breaking a sweat. Abarth Punto is the right car with the right engine. Now I can only envy. :arghh:
    limraj, zenwalker, Revv and 2 others like this.
  7. driveit

driveit Amatore

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I got a info that chennai fiat dealer got 15 bookings without even test drive. I think it's the first time happening for fiat. Hoping to see decent sales for abarth punto.
  8. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Forget this, the First Abarth Punto keys were delivered yesterday evening at Aadya Motors, the gentleman had made payement in almost a month before launch.

Wish I can get this home soon solely for the fun factor.
  9. mayurworld84

mayurworld84 Timido

Excellent review guys

Yesterday, I had got the chance to Test drive this beast unexpectedly (I visited the dealer for payment of the evo which I booked)

so mesmerized with theexperience and car definitely make people turn their heads again and again. By its looks and the mighty sound it makes upon acceleration

In terms of looks I agree with crazy_driver for that red fog lamps bezel. They should have been kept in chrome.

And abarth pedals also which I was expecting are missing and offered as option.

Regarding the matte grey color, the dealer told me it was cancelled as of now. But that was super sexy color for abarth styling

But overall, I enjoyed this sudden and unplanned TD:happy:

Mod Note: Kindly do not type like this..... Makes reading the post a lot more difficult. Please refer to the rules here -https://www.teamfiat.com/threads/tfi-rules.9288/
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  10. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Linea T-Jet
    Fiat Caffe Banglore Got 17 Bookings So Far.

Krishna, As Usual thank you for giving Us another well written Much awaited Review of the Super Car.