1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Abarth 2015 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Abarth' started by nkrishnap, Oct 25, 2015.

1. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Turbothinghy. Mate I too drive 90 HP GP . Its has been blissful 20 months of ownership. Please read what I have mentioned in the earlier post. Its only when you find that gearbox in an Abarth which is supposed to be the performance brand under FIAT that you start feeling awful. Else for daily drive its perfectly fine.

And I owned a Swift for 1.2 L kms before I got my Punto. I have got used to FIATs gearbox now but the core values for which we love Fiat is somehow just not justified by the gearbox. A car which is supposed to be an out and out drivers car's should never have such a gearbox. Swift, Polo, i20 and almost all of the competition have better gearboxes.

Well I disagree on the top end. At least the 90 HP has very good top end. It just depends on how you drive. Revv the car frequently to 4 K and above and see the difference. When I bought my 90 HP it used to huff and puff beyond 130. But its a totally different car now. It easily does till beyond 150. It will take sometime beyond 130 to reach higher speeds but it still does pretty well. After the first 2 services the engine opened up well and doing high speeds isn't huffing and puffing anymore.

I have done very good speeds on the car. And it can reach a top speed of 190 if persevered with.

With wolfed MJDs the response is even better and the time taken to reach such speeds decreases as well.

P.S: Please note that I do not endorse high speed driving and always follow rules for safe driving. These speeds were achieved only for a few seconds to test the capability of the car and only after making sure that there is an empty enough stretch to attain the speeds.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    prabhjot, Raj_pol and Turbothinghy like this.
  2. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @nibedk Surprisingly for my 75 HP, I always found it willing to do high speeds (again I am not endorsing speeding) but it every quickly climb up beyond the ton and could comfortably reach high speeds.

My style is sedate though and I feel most comfortable at speeds of 100 in the highways. Sometimes I feel that the car is just walking by.
  3. Navneet

Navneet Amatore

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    I am not a race drive nor a amateur , but I dont agree on "Steering wheel" comment of above. Steering is what defines the driver. No matter how fast the car is , finally she need to be gently taken care. I doubt on the above comment on steering. FIAT has hydraulic steering, Ferrari does still. If you read reviews how Porsche and BMW had messed up them badly when they moved over to electric , you/we will understand the value of it. Every supercar or best driving has a steering which defines a driver, and every driver will never cross the revs which he(not the car, but the driver) cant handle. Fish tale not possible but front wheel drive cars, but feelings are same.

Every time , you come out of the corners and you can feel how much more she can take; and there you understand why you have a superior cars than other cars in India. She brings smile on face on every corner.

I have got 1.2 ELX Palio and Tjet+ , and both have are peace of art while cornering . This beautifull steering which do talk you back. You need to just listen to her to understand, nothing can be more perfect than holding and do the drawing. I still remember 5 years back (during my bachelor days) when my 1.2ELX has given a Skoda Superb run for his money on whole BombayGoa highways, you know why, cause there are no straights. ;) Not supporting Speeding nor RashDriving though, ( nowdays I hardly cross 80Kph. :)

And here we are with Polo GTI which (if I am not wrong) will be coming with 1.8 , 180 hp+, above 20L fees and still Autocar doesnt complain and keep comparing it with Abarth; and still on other forum people are ready to pay for it. Sometimes,I think, if FIAT could just have sold all their cars in India under the brand image of AlfaRomeo. May be that could have changed the peoples mindsets. (Many Indians dont know what to buy, but they know what not to buy , cause of Chinese whispers)
  4. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Navneet. Are you mentioning the comment that I have put. Mate its a comment which is the tag line for Abarth Punto and I didn't come up with it. This is what Fiat advertises. Its not a negative comment nor it is about the steering actually. Its the torque steer and massive front wheels spin which can catch you by surprise if you are not aware of it or used to it the car will veer off towards one side if one is not cautious. Even I was taken by surprise it happened for the first. Having been driven a FIAT for sometime now I didn't panic and could control the car. Its more to do with the tires where they loose grip especially in the first two gears.

I am completely aware of the brilliant HPS set up of Fiats. Nothing comes close except the Fords.
  5. RCP

RCP Amatore

Hyderabad
    Guys, any idea on which color to go for. I opted for 2016 white Tjet, however, a tuscan wine is just made out of the production today and sales guy have called me regarding that. I still asked for white, and said I would wait for it. Yesterday, I have seen a tuscan wine linea in the workshop and it's good. But, am afraid it will kill my youth;)

Can anyone suggest, or throw in some opinions/choices
  6. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    I will not Suggest you to take Tuscan wine since it is real pain to keep her Clean all the time. and not that youthful too as you said. but you can impress your elder family members or relatives with tuscan wine color. i will suggest you to go for Magnesio Gray or White. Btw Congrats for the Tjet
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    An excellent summation of car buying consumer behaviour and decision-making.

Except J D Power finds that 70%+ of buyers do not even keep an open mind for EVEN one other option to the car they actually end up buying. That percentage has mercifully declined somewhat recently, until as recently as 2013 it apparently was well-above 85% !

Needless to say: there is NO other country afa my research and J D Power's that has anywhere near as high a %.

The 'gravitational pull' or sheer friction or inertia is so high in the Indian car market that NO brand other than Suzuki and Hyundai + Mahindra has managed to 'takeoff' other than short-term with one-off very-minor-hits (Chevy Beat) or only because of unique, first-mover body-styles (Renault Duster, Ford Ecosport, Kwid).

That is why IMO Fiat should not offer cars like the new Grand Sienna, new Punto+new Avventura but instead go with cars like the Abarth-s, like the 500L and 500X+Renegade etc that have an utter USP and distinctiveness that can stand a chance of escaping the fateful 'gravity' that afflicts all non-M/HY+Toyota (maybe, remains to be seen in the truly mass market) brands, none more than Fiat, Tata, Nissan, Chevy, VW+Skoda, and Ford too.
    gpunto75 likes this.
  8. Passione84

Passione84 Timido

Pune
    Punto Abarth
    Can anyone recommend tyres for the abarth punto? 205/55 r16 is what im looking for.
    Potenza g3
    Yoko advan sport
    Conti premiumcontact2

Or something else?
  9. RCP

RCP Amatore

Hyderabad
    @Passione84 Why are you not considering Michelin? They should have R16 205/55 tyres. Continental would be good, if you r not looking for Michelin. I didn't like potenza, but gripping is defnitely good in Yokohama until the initial 20k(After that it becomes one kind of a hard metal). Have u already got the punto abarth? Just trying to know ur initial experiences.

@Murphy_Fiat Thanks. You are correct, also colour matching would be a problem for tuscan wine. I will go for white

Today, i drove a Tjet for almost 120kms on the ORR, and 170 is just a cake walk. Post that it is taking a lot of time to go till 190. Any idea on the top speed in tjet. I guess, abarth punto also has the same top speed, and it is also taking some time - post 170, but definitely quicker on 0 to 100 kmph.

Anyone checked the auto-expo? New linea 125s has been showcased, will be launched later this year. I really don't understand the logic in bringing 125bhp, why not 145bhp? There won't be any difference in terms of power except for a second quicker to 100, in comparision to tjet. It will only be available in saffire blue, when it is launched. They also showcased, Avventura urban cross.

I can't wait anymore, I think I made a right decision in moving ahead to buy a tjet; and not wasting anytime. I will change the stock tyres to michelin, once it reaches the warehouse.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @RCP

Cheers to the good decision. Cannot go wrong with any sort of Fiat, t-jet esp, whether Abarthified or not!

The AutoExpo 125S Linea looks gorgeous, though, and has a few extra gizmos, not least being (for some) the touchscreen. It does not say 'powered by abarth', so probably does not have the abarth-punto engine, but a retuned current t-jet Linea one?

If so: Why? to keep costs competitive. Why? Because even 90% of those who profess deep and abiding love and admiration for this or that Fiat or Abarth (and the t-jet of course has many lovers) never buy it, finding it poor vfm while happily 2 lakhs extra for cars like the Honda City which is a travesty of a sedan relative to the Linea, in nearly every way.

Anyway, i'd urge you to wait and go for the 125S, out apparently by middle-2016, instead?

cheers