1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Abarth 2015 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Abarth' started by nkrishnap, Oct 25, 2015.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

Abarth=VIV RICHARDS. or Michael Holding.

Linea t-jet= Sachin Tendulkar. or Kapil Dev.

i.e., Abarth Punto, surely? :)
  2. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Linea T-Jet
    Tjet is for Extra boot Space and Abarth for Everything Else
  3. Whencut86

Whencut86 Amatore

Fiat Enthusiast
    TJet has a couple more stuff in favour. Rear leg room is better than Punto/Abarth/Avventura. Also the space between clutch and dead pedal is slightly more in Linea than in other cars which was actually one of the main factors in me deciding in favour of the Linea
  4. RCP

RCP Amatore

@prabhjot That's a nice comparision:happy:

Also, like @Whencut86 said, Tjet is more on space. Surely, Abarth gives more smile or may be madness.

This puts me into more confusion. The sales guy brought a tuscan wine tjet to my home, to collect the cheque. My watchaman started to say that tuscan wine looks good than the white, although he has never seen a white linea:banghead:

However, this confusion may continue for few days until the 2016 production models pops up in the system, to selct a clor and a model though;)
    PradeepM likes this.
  5. KPR

KPR Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hi all Today I saw twice punto abarth TV commercial in Times now. Way to go FIAT!!! Crafted for car lovers !!! Am I the only one or many others saw that too? Come on Fiat bring those on sunday T20, asia cup, World T20.
    Murphy_Fiat and PradeepM like this.
  6. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I am sick of the words 'rubbery shift', what is so bad about it? And does it deserve to be mentioned under 'dislike or loathe or cons' heading?
  7. nikhil0405

nikhil0405 Amatore

Linea 1.3
    There is nothing rubbery about the gear shifts. The throws are bit longer but surely workable and not a deal breaker. Coming from a Santro, I find the gear shifts in the Linea as smooth if not smoother. I think the rubbery gear shifts discussion has been started by the so called experts reviewing fiat cars on auto shows. They harp on that so much that people really begin to believe them.
  8. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    @Tornado Unfortunately it is a problem on the MJD's. I have been driving the EVO for nearly 17 K km's now and I can state that the shifting could be a lot better. You can even do a small experiment - get a friend who has a Swift diesel and then drive both in peak traffic the MJD and the Swift. You will realize the difference. This has been a persistent problem with this particular gearbox and FIAT is unwilling to make the move to the more advanced gearbox available internationally.

Also try driving the Polo automatic's. You will realize how smooth the auto shifts are.

From the little I drove of the Linea it seemed to be better than the MJD.

p.s. Of course the reason for low sales may not have anything to do with the gearbox but still is an improvement that Fiat can do.
    RCP likes this.
  9. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yesterday took a test drive Abarth Punto and came back with mixed feelings.

The positives have already been mentioned by a lot of esteemed TFIANs so will not bother highlighting those. Will shed light on some stuff which has not been highlighted much.

+ves : -

-- Breeze to drive in the city. Best car to be driven in the city from the Fiat stable. Very effortless unlike the famed MJDs.
    -- Blast of an engine. Will make you grin ear to ear.
    -- Brilliant braking. Could easily touch 110 km on odo in a narrow two way lane within the city. Brakes are so assuring one would not hesitate to put pedal to metal even within city limits if one finds a stretch which is empty enough.

Rest all + ves mentioned in reviews online holds good too.

-ves :-

-- Gearbox. No doubt better than Punto and slightly better than TJET. But this car screams for a slick 6 speeder. For sedate driving the gear box is all fine. But when you are in mood for a spirited drive can rob some excitement. Absolute downer when you associate it with the Abarth tag. As a stand alone gearbox fine enough for sedate driving with some spirited driving thrown in.
    -- Torque Steer - No doubt its addictive and in hands of a good drive can provide a lot of fun. But can be devastating in hands of an amateur. The tag line that "the steering wheel is not just for steering but for holding on" is just spot on. The pull is so vigorous in the first two gears that with an amateur behind the wheels it can be very dangerous. I was taken aback by the pull the first time I tried to do a U turn at some speeds. It felt like the car would jump over the median and go to the road in the opposite direction so strong was the pull. This happened to some one who has been driving a FIAT for close to 20 months now and knew about the (in) - famous torque steer. I had to hold the steering tight to maneuver it till it was back on track. I did it again though it was for fun as I was prepared the next time.
    -- Tires - This car needs a stickier and broader tires. Not just for improved dynamics but to control the torque steer. The ALNAC tyres lose grip immediately in the first two gears if one tries be a little spirited.

Rest all concerns in various reviews are just that "CONERNS" . Anybody buying a Abarth should be least worried interiors , features and stuff. There is so much more this car offers that any enthusiast can choose to ignore the other short comings.

Will I buy one? Yes if I was in the market for a new car. With one FIAT already in my garage I will surely put my money on the next Abarth hopefully a Linea. Only when I can afford to have two cars. One a practical one and the other to satiate the enthusiast in me during the weekends.
    Turbothinghy and Raj_pol like this.
  10. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Very well summed up @nibedk . I guess thicker tyres would decrease the torque steer as well. And as far as gearbox is concerned, I agree that its not as slick as Maruti/Hyundai/VW, but I havent had such a bad time with it to call it a deterrent in my Evo 90 HP.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 1, 2016 ---
    Well I am driving Evo 90 HP for almost an year and can vouch for its mid-range. Its definitely a lot better than a 'okay'. In fact I find it quite punchy. I agree that you need to revv her more, but what is the problem in that, given that its such a revv friendly engine? Arent petrol cars high revving? And the way 90 HP sounds in higher RPMs also feels sporty.

Driving my 90 HP at >3000 RPMs on highways is a pure bliss. It doesnt have much of a top-end, for which one needs to labour a lot, but the mid-range is great and quite satisfying IMO.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 1, 2016 ---
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    nibedk likes this.