1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Abarth 2015 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Abarth' started by nkrishnap, Oct 25, 2015.

1. kgramesh

kgramesh Amatore

Palakkad, KL
    Linea T-Jet
    I'm really going mad. Almost booked Abarth punto. As usual in any family, there comes dissents in abundant. They say evo 90hp is more than enough. After that, me too think so ( that's the power of majority). But my heart says its Abarth always. Is it really worth spending the extra three lakhs ( now with discounts on evo 90hp) ?
    Navneet likes this.
  2. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    If you can spend 3 lakhs, if it's not a burden for you.
    Go for it eyes closed, 90 HP is not the best when u can afford an abarth.
    90HP is a bit lazy and you can feel that it is adequate, but not enough.

even in the mid-range it's okay, nothing that would make you wow. you have to rev the car high to move past 120 kmph (we came from the fiesta 1.4D which can go to 140-150 not instantly , but much more effortlessly than our new linea 1.3 (but there is 150 kg heavier than the fiesta).

It is the chassis that has the wow factor, at 120 kmph, you dont have to brake for any broken parts of the road,it's irons out.

Such a chassis Must house an engine like the T-JET, where the weight doesn't bother you much, besides people are getting goo FE number also.

When you can afford it, Why miss it?
    varunrtr and kgramesh like this.
  3. Passione84

Passione84 Timido

Pune
    Punto Abarth
    Agreed, adisrini1103. kgramesh, do not miss this opportunity. We need more enthusiasts such as yourself to spend in cars of the heart.

However, if it cannot be helped, (after brutal fighting) and you absolutely must compromise (but you still want a FIAT), then why not go in (on the other side of the spectrum) for an Avventura?
    - The same diesel 90 HP motor, but slightly better gearing than the regular Punto (as the reviews say plus my TD experience)
    - Near flat ride on rough roads (Autocar review), good GC
    - Zafferano Orange
    - The tailgate mounted spare wheel, cover looks great
    - The family will be happy (SUV-sh, utilitive appeal, fuel economy)
    - Anti-roll bar, tilt-meter
    - Better off-road cred than an i20 active or a Cross-polo

You won't be stuck halfway. With a regular Punto, you will get neither the performance, nor satisfactory handling (the exacerbated body-roll on account of the stilt-like demeanour) you crave, nor the off-road cred. At least with an Avventura, you will make light work of monsoons and pot-holes, and while the rest of us hibernate and get our damsels out gingerly, you will be smiling away, going where you want, when you want, that too in a good-looking FIAT.
    KPR, Murphy_Fiat, kgramesh and 3 others like this.
  4. kgramesh

kgramesh Amatore

Palakkad, KL
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks adisrini, Pasionate. I'm pushing hard for the Abarth.
    @Passionate84-No doubt, Avvy is a good all-rounder. Actually today morning, my friend who is also my neighbour was sharing his driving experience to Tirupati in his i20 active. Prior to buying active, he had a TD on Avvy too but decided not to buy for obvious reasons ( horror stories!).
    The i20 active was very nervous in the curvy roads which he said would be nothing for Avvy. I realised he actually regrets his buying decision. He also added never to go for a Hyundai and take an Avvy for long drives.
    i_mysterious1, Raj_pol, KPR and 5 others like this.
  5. Navneet

Navneet Amatore

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    Cars like Abarth Punto dont come that often. FIAT offered 1.6GTX, S10 in early 2000, which didnt had any competition to them in the price range they were offered. They dont have any replacement in Indian Hatchback lineup, during there era, may later Chevrolet SRV or Fabia 1.6, but thats all. And with FIAT it was not just speed, the reliability and safety was its strength which hardly got published in right way. Most Indian , look for mileage, but are this mile munchers are really cars? They are light weight , with low width tyres (I guess Swift comes with default 165 and Honda City 175/165 width on most version) and low budget safety design (thin metal sheet all over the car). All this things make them light and cheap. And so called said Premium cars like I20 and Baleno, try to find out the difference in the feature list, it will be minimum. 145 Hp is not a joke to be pack in any piece of tint. But Punto deserved it all round.

FIATs are not just fast , they are the safest. They are not just safe , they are car with greatest driving pleasure. You need to be true car enthusiast to understand FIAT. I guess , that's what every Italian Car maker makes sure. Having own , two generations of FIAT, Palio 1.2ELX(1L km) and LineaTjet+(25K km), nothing gets better than this, and if anybody in my friend or relative circle needs a real car to enjoy drive, I will recommend Abarth Punto (even though its not available in Mumbai) ;) Abarth Punto surely go as Legend in next decade, same as S10 and 1.6GTX. Different kind of horse she is , but from same Breed.
  6. AVS10

AVS10 Timido

Delhi NCR
    Delhi NCR
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Absolutely Abarth. No brainer there.
    From a recent driving run across the country in a 1.6, these genre of engines rock. Stress free drivability and surprisingly frugal.
    No experience with petrol turbos yet but I am sure they are here to stay and we owe that to FIAT
    kgramesh, Murphy_Fiat and prabhjot like this.
  7. Subhendusc

Subhendusc Amatore

Kolkata
    Kolkata
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Go for Avvy . Driving Avvy on highway is absolutely mesmerizing.
    With 4 passengers on board , and 1800 + RPM, you will never feel when you have touched 110kmph . With my Swift it was really scary when i crossed 100 kmph.

Go for Avvy. The city ride of Avvy is also better than Punto. I TD both twice before going for Avvy
  8. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @kgramesh If you can fight the family (I understand how tough that can be) please go for the Abarth. Neither the Avvy nor the Evo comes close - I mean like anywhere close.
  9. RCP

RCP Amatore

Hyderabad
    I have booked a linea Tjet today. No 2015 stocks in emotion model, so ordered 2016 model @11.55 lac on road. My heart still says Abarth punto, but I may still change it by the end of this month as 2016 lineas are still in production phase. They will only hit showrooms by 2nd week of Feb.

May be, somebody can pour in your thoughts? Any idea on when the linea abarth will be launched? Is the launch at the auto expo in Feb? If that is the case, I can wait for one more month. Not sure.

For both Abarth punto or linea, I have decided on white color
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @RCP Sorry to disappoint you but as of now there is no official plans so far I can see for the launch of a Linea T-jet abarth version. Knowing Fiat waiting might not be an option.