1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto Abarth 2015 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Abarth' started by nkrishnap, Oct 25, 2015.

1. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I got a chance to test drive the Punto Abarth today, at Mohandas Motors, Trivandrum.
    The car is HOOTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!
    Anybody looking for the hot one, this is it. Period.
    I felt it a lot hotter than the TJet as well.

I could achieve 110 km/h in 12 noon traffic on NH bypass road (between their showroom and Technopark), where in normal drives, half the speed is usually achieved. Later while driving towards Pothencode, it touched 150 (both speeds as per the SA). When it reached 110, I did not really feel that it had reached there. And it reaches there all too quickly!!!
    2nd gear maxes out at about 90 km/h. 3rd gear is where all the fun is. Though I could put it in 4th and 5th, the roads were not open enough to push to their limits.
    I did drive for about 23km in less than half an hour (including petrol filling break, traffic signals, tolls etc). Average mileage was about 5.5km/lit (I was ripping, as it was a test drive). Avg speed about 46 km/h (normally in this place, my average speed does not go beyond 30 km/h).

I could take out all that cars on the road, which was obvious. image.jpg image.jpg Black Abarth in the showroom. Red is the one for test drive.
    I forgot to add: Punto Abarth has a lot better suspension too. The same places where I feel undulations in my Linea, I was surprised that, were completely filtered in Punto Abarth. Another surprise that came was that despite having a low 155mm of GC, at the new potholed section near Kazhakkuttom police station, the bottom did not scrape. I could hear a Swift Dzire scrapping.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Guys,

Have a look at this video test drive on the Fiat Abarth from a guy who owns Mercs, Fortuners and what not.

3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Simply respect FIAT :)
  4. RCP

RCP Amatore

Hyderabad
    I spoke with a Fiat planning manager, and got to know that there are no new launches till mid/late 2017. That is awful. The 1.6 MJD has been given to suzuki as a complete project, and that it may face an emission issue in the future, and Fiat don't want that to be introduced in India. 1.5 MJD also is not really confirmed in the 2017 models. They may bring a small car like Novo Uno or X1H (being tested in Brazil), and will plonk the 1.3 multijet in that. That might boost their sales, as it is affordable and will be efficient due to lighter weight.

But for all of us, who are waiting for a powerful diesel engine, it can be a bit disappointing, if Fiat decided not to bring in a new diesel power train. The fact that India is their revenue generating BU through engine sales, and that they have already committed to suzuki for almost a lakh engines; if Fiat decides to renew their line-up and bring in new diesel engine, it will impact their current engine sales. Again - sales means additional investments in ads, resources, campaigns etc, and never know if it fares well vs. their current engine business which is going well.

He also mentioned a valid point: that if Fiat can import a Tjet, why can't they import a 1.6 multijet. On the contrary, suzuki have imported it and have localized 65% of it, in it's current 1.6 offering(just the engine).

It's clear that FCA is more focused on Chrysler at this time, and they are successfully keeping their Fiat fans silent by launching the powerful Abarths, using the same outer platforms; rather attempting to bring in the more volume oriented diesel line-up. They are playing safe, and 2017 won't be any ground breaking, if that is true.

Who knows: Fiat can launch any model, within a night, even without Marchionne knowing it. I still remember the launch of Linea and Punto, way back to 2009. Surprise!!!!!
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 11, 2015 ---
    Just got to know the below:

http://auto.economictimes.indiatime...ds-support-to-fiat-owners-in-chennai/50140838

MUMBAI: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles India said on Friday that approximately 300 Fiat cars have been affected in the Chennai floods and that it is taking aggressive efforts to reach out to Fiat owners affected due to the recent floods in Chennai.

"My prayers remain with those whose lives have been affected due to the tragic floods in Chennai. As our efforts to help the FIAT owners, we are extending our free road side assistance to ensure quicker repair," said Kevin Flynn, President and Managing Director, FCA India. We are committed to the provide world class services to our customers and we are ensuring that all the necessary steps are taken to help the Fiat owners in Chennai. "

FCA is also mobilising additional dealer manpower from nearby states to expedite the repairs. The company also said that it will share the costs on the genuine parts replaced in the flood affected cars post the insurance support.

The repair support will be provided at all the three Fiat workshops in Chennai.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @RCP

Yes i guess they'll be busy with JEEP: the brand and dealer launches and the high-tech WCM manufacturing lines and supply chains etc for the C-suv and allied Tata suv-s.

Also i guess the emissions uncertainty plus the very low (long term) petrol prices would perhaps militate against the bigger diesel? No 1.5 mjd means there's no plan to launch the renegade and/or a smaller Jeep suv and/or the 500X? Unless they plan to import the 1.6 mjd2 engines?

Sounds awful for dealers etc, did he say nothing about what models, if any, will come in late-2017 onwards? The x1H (a sort-of KWID car) approach is doomed, imo. At least straight off-the-bat. Any word on the Aegea sedan? 'New Avventura'? 500X?

They REALLY must decide fast and announce and commit to time lines, even if 'slow' i.e., only end-2017, for the FIAT and not just JEEP brand.

Let's see. Marchionne will be presenting an updated product plan and cadence for all global markets for all fca brands in January. Hope there are details there about the (new?) plan for FIAT in india. And hope they have some attractive and reasssuring things to reveal about FIAT's plans at the AutoExpo, though it is a Jeep-brand launch-centric occasion for them.

Could they have decided to 'pull the plug' on FIAT in india, let it fizzle out entirely while JEEP is built-up, to eventually say in 3 years' time draw the final curtain on the brand's tumultuous india life and story??
    gpunto75 likes this.
  6. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @ghodlur Brilliant review that of the Abarth - very fair and unbiased.
  7. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    So does this mean the End of fiat for India again??
    So thats it? If yes, then that's a very big bummer.
    Then that leaves us with VW, Ford and Mahindra with well built products...May be we should rename the Group
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    This guy has started a trend in T-BHP, where he does video reviews of the cars. He started with his new Ford Figo (Diesel) and in his video showed that it beats Polo GT TDI in 0-100 sprint :D. GT TDI should be better in the in-gear acceleration though.

Regarding the Abarth review, he just missed one big point when he was doing the SWOT analysis, where he didnt mention the disc brakes as Abarth's strengths. Apart from that, his review covered almost everything.
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Turbothinghy

He also, as is almost universal on team-bhp, failed to discuss DESIGN: form and detailing, meaning not subjective vague-but-yet-over-emphatic stuff like "it looks hot" or "it is overdone" or "i hate it" and such but the actual design language, its grammar and its composition, and why or why not certain aesthetic 'effects' are successfully achieved, only more so since it is an Abarth AND a Fiat AND an italian-sporty-design masterpiece (the Punto) from Giugiaro. Only more so since no other car, imo, in India this side of a Volvo S60 t6 or maybe a 35+lakh Mini Cooper S and of course the 595 Abarth comes as close as the Abarth Punto to marrying form to thorough, uncompromised substance.

@adisrini1103

Marchionne, Manley etc will be presenting a global new-model production plan for all brands and for all geographies in january. We'll know soon. As of now it is going to be a case of 'renewed Fiat and all-new Jeep in India', AFAweknow, but it could very well be the case that it will or will have to be 'Just JEEP', say by 2017/2018? Let's see. The feb 2016 autoexpo will hopefully bring some assurance as to their new model plans for Fiat, and of the rationality/plausibility-in-this-marketplace of those plans too!
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  10. adisrini1103

adisrini1103 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot I understand , but I no more hope , I PRAY....
    prabhjot and Turbothinghy like this.