1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto-90HP has arrived

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by clash81, Apr 23, 2011.

1. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    two not so long trips....

If you have a Punto, which is an acclaimed highway machine, you are bound to test it on the highways. When the weekend was approaching, i was itching to test my car on a long drive.

On friday evening, me and my wifey decided to hit the Mysore Road, as i was not very confident on negotiating a highway, i decided to start a bit late. We hit the highway and covered 60 kms to a Barrista. Went there had some coffee and returned back.

I have to say, the 90hp vehicle is a marvel in its own and it handles so well on good roads. The steering is class and very responsive and the engine is pleasure to deal with.
    As i am still getting accustomed to the car, i decided i am not going to hit very high speeds. The average speed on friday night was 60 to 70. Even though this wouldn't have tested the limits of the engine, it was pleasure to ride.

I had positioned my seats a bit upright to keep me alert, this created a little bit of discomfiture during the drive. Something, i felt i could deal with. :)

The main reason to hit the highway was to experience the driving pleasure and to notice the characteristics of the vehicle, which you are very unlikely to notice in the crowded streets of Bangalore.

While i did keep a keen ear on any rattles or other sounds, it is heartening to say that i did not hear any. Then again, i realized that my vehicle has an alignment problem. It drags left, even the steering stays in a little titled position. If there is any alignment problem does the steering maintains a tilted position? :(

While returning back, i heard very faint noise coming from steering. (it sounded like short circuit sound, some kind of kirrrrrr...kirrrrr). Talked to Prerana SA next morning and he told that the vehicle has an alignment problem and the position of the steering is also because of that. I also talked about the short-circuity sound, he told, the engine guard would have some damages. Due to my inexperience in driving, the vehicle had scraped a few times. Has any one experienced this kind of noise from the steering? and does the steering maintain a titled position if there is an alignment problem? :steering

I refilled air in my tires at 33psi which is a 1psi more than the recommended value in the manual. My sense was that, it might reduce the under body scraping.

I did another trip on sunday, i will get back with some more pics of the vehicle and a short note about the trip very soon.
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    i have discovered noise due to dry leaves stuck at bottom of windshield, things inside glovebox , new ICE cables under the dashboard and what not .one cannot blame fiat for all that . the fact is punto interiors are way too silent than most of the other cars and not a single note or pitch goes unheard.

steering tilt. drag to sides and alighnment issues i have came across so far due to :

1.tire pressure difference left 29psi and right 32 psi
    2. wheel alighnemt and balancing .
    3. road banking .
    i dont think punto 90hp would have any other flaw for tilt other than due to above reasons.
  3. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks Jayadev for you inputs.

About the sound from steering, i have not heard it after that trip. I have trying to catch it but never could hear it again.

About the left drag, even i do think it is a wheel alignment/balancing problem. The only thing i am confused about is, if there is an alignment problem would the steering also maintain a tilted position? Anyway, logically it should have a tilted position as the vehicle is dragging to left.

I have taken an appointment with TASS and will be taking the vehicle on saturday.
  4. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    If the Steering pulls to the Left when you leave the hand when the car is running on a straight road then better take it for wheel alignment, might be you hit some pothole hard.
  5. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Went to TASS to fix up the alignment problem. On the whole i am happy with they way they dealt with me.

To my bad luck, while approaching my home, there is this one killer of a hump and it scrathed my under body badly :( Back home, i peeped down, just too see if there is any visible damages. To wreck my mental piece, the sight awaited me is some fluid dripping down. I had my heart in my mouth. :(

I checked the liquid and it is not anywhere like an oil. It feels water. Called up some prerana help lines to gather some sense. While one fellow told, he can only answer if he sees the vehicle and speculated that it could be either the coolant or the viper water. I wonder.

Called again another number and that fellow asked if the fluid is dripping from behind the engine. It is dripping from behind the engine. He told it is the A/C water and to my dismay he told it happens in most vehicles.

I am inconclusive about the problem. If someone can throw some light, please do.

I was thinking i would get back to TASS and now it looks, that would not happen. I will have to wait till monday now :( Would it be a risk taking the vehicle outside, without understanding the issue completey?
  6. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    most probably it is ac water . and it happens in my 90hp most of the time.
    but do not take chances get a thorough check as mentioned for impact from hump.
  7. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Relief. Thanks Jayadev for your quick reply.

I will check it for sure. :)
  8. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    just checked the vehicle again. the dripping seems to be over now. relief!
  9. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    First Free Service @ 5650 Kms....

Today my ride went for the 1st service @5650 Kms.

Some history : Took delivery on 27th of this April, it was an eventful 3 months with the vehicle. So far the vehicle hit the service station 3 times apart from this regulation service. First an alignment issue, the link rod and then the A/C bust. True that these issues waned my excitement a little but that would not make me say the vehicle is a bad one.

Experience so far : From the initial days of being a novice driver, things have move forward very much. I am very comfortable on the vehicle now, but i feel i can still improve my driving skills that would earn better mileage in terms of fuel and the longevity of the vehicle.

Apart from the driving, the vehicle has been superb even with issues i have faced with it. Few things l like about it really are being listed here:

• Steering - Simply superb. It went far too light after fixing the alignment issue, then during my second visit to TASS, they fixed it and it returned back to normal.I experience a wobble between 90 to 100 kms, i dont know if anyone has come across something like that.

Drive - This is my first car, so a comparative note is impossible but so far, i have found the vehicle easy to drive in traffic and open patches. I felt it performs very decently on both occasions. Then i dont have to say more on the highway characteristics and so on. So, on this front, i am very very happy.

Comfort: A very comfortable ride. Recently, i had a short 1050 Kms drive to Kerala and back with 5 people in the car. It was a short notice trip and we set out immediately in the night. Have to say, the car could carry 5 people with ease. The back seats becomes a bit cramped in terms of space to rest your backs but the leg space was of no problem for me, when i was sitting in the back seat for a duration when my cousin was driving. I did 70% of the onward driving, and i was fresh as a fresh cucumber the next morning when i reached the destination. The other people in the car too vouched for the comfortable drive that it was. Very Very happy.

Power : 90hp is more than adequate. The car can accelerate and set off like an arrow with ease. It has to be mentioned, the car stops like an arrow shot with precision which hits the bulls eye. It doesn't throw itself haywire when it stops. It maintains it line and position hook, line and sinker. Very happy in terms of power and handling.

Now i will list a few things i dont like :

• The turning radius : I know its a matter of that spatial awareness, still i wouldn't want to let this off. If you maintain a low position on your drivers seat, it almost feel like an aeroplane taking a turn. I haven't driven a aeroplane yet, but i feel this is the closest comparison i can draw. The famous snout of the car is almost in an indecipherable alignment while you are negotiating a turn. I have found this quite annoying so far. It should get better by time.

Gears : I have had issues with slotting gears right from the first day. They are quite hard to shift and engaging the reverse one is a pain. Sometimes i have to slot it a second time to get the reverse engaged. Anyway, after the 1st service today, it felt better. Have to check it again later.

Music System : I have learned to live with it. As someone mentioned here, rock renders very well and to an extent that serves my purpose. Nothing extra ordinary.

The pillars : The front pillar almost blocks your vision towards right while driving. You need to leap around it, doing some peeping game to have a better vision. The back ones are also quite big. This is something i can live with.

Now to.......

The overall impression : As i have mentioned above, my excitement got dampened at short intervals with small but irking issues. Then again, the vehicle performed its best when asked for. Like the short notice trip i had to make to kerala. To be truthful, i fell in love with the vehicle during that trip. its performance was just awesome. Its a killer on highway, it negotiates bad road with consummate ease and with five people on board, it ripped through the wayanad ghats. What more can you ask?

During the First service @ 5650 Kms i raised the following issues :

1. Steering column rattle : The plastic was loose and it is fixed now.

Height adjustment for front seat not working. - It was going down time and again, after i set it to the highest position. The SA told me he has tightened something and told me to be careful not to hit my thigh on the height adjusting lever. I have to see if this works or not.

Clutch noise : There was this distinctive 'tak tak" noise which disengage the clutch - Confirmed with SA that the slave cylinder is the latest metal one and he told he has adjusted the gear cables and checked the clutch. It was not making the noise while i returned back from TASS.

Wipers : The wipers were creating lines while cleaning the windshield. I had a tough time in Kerala, with visibility. The SA says he has adjusted the wipers and this should not come back. Will have to see.

Oils : An oil top up was done and they charged 100 rs for this. Apart from the engine oil, all other oils and the battery water was topped up.

Alignment : As part of the 1st free service, they claim they have checked the alignment of the wheels.

Post Script : Yet again a long post. Please bear with me. Mods, can the title be changed to First Free Service @ 5650 Kms....???
  10. battery water topped up?

think these new batteries dont need water topup. these are maintenance free batteries.

did they give you a paper with the alignment(the before and after paper)