1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto-90HP has arrived

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by clash81, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Clash, congrats once again and good that you are gaining confidence in your driving skills. I am sure you will start manoveuring the car very easily soon.

Regarding the brakes, i think you will adjust to it soon once you are comfortable & gain confidence. I think the sound is due to nervous braking as you are still learning.
    Horn pad is little hard & it is normal. You will get used to it.
    When you play from your USB, the controls can be made only using the keypads on the steering as it is controlled by Windows B&M.
    Radio disturbance could be issue with the reception or wrong band selection. You may check with your tass next time you visit them. Else, attend one of the next TFI meet and fellow TFI'ians will be happy to help you.
  2. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks for the reply :)

The problems that i am facing with car is only up to my inexperience. :(

Hopefully i am not going to do much damage to the car because i am fine tuning my driving skills with it. Thats the one and only concern!
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    @clash 81

Make sure you do not stress the brakes too much during the first 500 kms ( excluding emergency braking) . Keep braking light and gradual. That'll make sure the brakes bed in well.

Try and feel your way how the engine responds to the accelerator input and keep it in its powerband. Avoid keeping the new engine at constant rpm's . Keep varying.

Its a wonderful engine and car , and once you master it , would enjoy it thoroughly.

I'd suggest a read of the this thread

Gurjinder.
  4. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks Gurjinder.

I was about to ask questions regarding idling. When my friend queried the sales fellow, while taking delivery, he told, there is no need for any kind of Idling. My friend asked me to cross check with the manual. I did not quite find anything in there too, regarding this or did i miss out. :eek:

But that thread was massively helpful. I will definitely get accustomed to these best practices like idling.

thanks again.
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  5. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    idling is beneficial or else when you are about to destination, slow down and drive at low rpms preferably less than 1500 .
    so that engine cools down naturally .obviously this practice is good to avoid thermal shocks to engine and turbocharger .

take care of your punto 90hp like a baby no rough handeling and no harsh feelings,
    she needs time to mature and that is minimum of 3000km.
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Since you got so many valued answers it would be fine with you now, Dude just tame it well,
    Know the road before you shoot.
    Take extreme caution on overspeeding for the first 3000 kms.
    Last:- enjoy the 90 horses under the hood.
  7. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and answers.

Took the vehicle again out, mild traffic was there but that was not of much botheration. My driving has improved. The pointers about keeping rpm under check was very helpful. I tried to maintain a good range and was careful about not overshooting. I could manage it. :)

Have not yet managed to hit any decent speed so far. The speed limit is set at 60, and the alarm popped only once so far, after i got the car.

So far so good. Now wifey is planning to get her driving correct. She is not awful at it, but definitely not good. What do you people suggest? Should i wait for a run in period before getting her aboard or is it ok to go ahead?
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    why she need to wait? because she is a female?
    come on man don't be rational towards fellow human biengs.
  9. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    ha ha Jayadev, its a pleasure to let you know that me and my wife has a equal footing when it comes to decisions at home. :p

she is a registered member in TFI who is not very active, she herself was a bit apprehensive about shaping up her driving skills on the new car. so we were thinking, if we need to wait for some more time for the car to settle down, thats all.

Anyway she has already tried driving the vehicle couple of times.
  10. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    clash81, nice to note that....happy wishes for three of you.

i wish my better half was as much courageous . she thinks that punto90hp is a very big car and very powerful. much much more than she can handle.
    so she do not bother even to sit in pilot seat. all she enjoys is ride quality and music.