1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 90hp diesel or Linea 90hp diesel

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Vamshi, Dec 1, 2015.

1. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    linea mjd 90hp
    Vamshi likes this.
  2. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Well, Tipo is basically designed for left hand drive markets as of now. Its RHD version is yet to come. And looking at Fiat's pace for launching new models, March 2016 india Tipo launch looks pretty impossible IMO.
    GANESH H and Vamshi like this.
  3. nikhil0405

nikhil0405 Amatore

Pune
    Linea 1.3
    The Linea replacement is scheduled in 2017. There is no confirmation whether it will be the Tipo or Sienna. Personally I prefer the current Linea's styling to the Sienna. Also I had read that the Tipo looses the hydraulic steering that is in the Linea. If you can hold on until 2017, it might be worth taking a chance. If not the current Linea mjd is a good choice.
    GANESH H and Vamshi like this.
  4. jovi2403

jovi2403 Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    When I was having the same Dilemma, whether for a EVO90 or LINEA. I went with EVO. My constraint was not budget though, other than the Boot space, I didn't feel the other features that LINEA got was not worth for the extra money I would shell.
    No offense Linea guys, it is just my personal opinion.
    Vamshi likes this.
  5. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    The source of the above is here : http://autoportal.com/newcars/fiat/tipo/ . The news as such looks like a rumour to me.
    However, making an RHD variant in less than a year is highly unlikely. If it was to be released in 2016 March in India, we would have started seeing test mules already.
    Vamshi likes this.
  6. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Vamshi. I have driven Punto 90 HP, 75 HP, Linea 90 HP, Linea TJET and Avvy 90 HP. I own a GP 90 HP which is now close to 20 months young. Here are my recommendations.

Punto 90 HP does everything that Linea 90 HP does except for a few features that Linea has.
    Sedan versions usually handle better so Linea is the choice if you lust for that slight better speeds going into corners. I have friends who have owned both Punto and Linea and they have observed that on the same stretch of road Linea manages better speeds and lesser times when compared to Punto. Don't get me working Punto is brilliant round the corners as well and only auto enthusiast will be able to make the difference in handling. This should not be deal breaker if you choose either of them.
    Space is more in Linea and that boot helps if you prefer taking a lot of road trips. Few additional features like cruise control, rain sensing wipers, auto head lamps ,sun curtains , bigger alloys and leather seats in the higher version. If I had to choose I would love to have cruise control and sun curtains as I do a lot of highway travel with family. Cruise control would help relax your legs in long drives and sun curtains will be useful if you have kids. Others are good to have but not deal breakers.
    I have noticed that my 90 HP gives a slighty lesser FE than my friends who own Linea 90 HP. I am not a sedate driver by any means but since I do most travelling on highways or weekend family outing I expected to have better average than Lineas. Of course the new Lineas come with the updated ECU with better drive characteristics in lower gears and RPMS below 2K. I think that may be the reason for better FE. I am yet to take and check if my 90 HP can have the updated ECU settings.
    Punto would be easier to manage in city and crowded areas due to its smaller dimesions

It will make sense for you to go for Linea 90 HP if

-- You are planning to take a lot of road trips with family and luggage
    -- Lust for a sedan ( I lust for hot hatches)
    -- Slightly better ride and drive dynamics
    -- Need the additional features over Punto

In case you do not have any of these requirements better to save some money and get the Punto 90 HP. It will be easier on the pocket in long run.

If you are petrol head and are looking for automotive "Nirvana" look for nothing below Linea TJET. Its a different beast altogether. It is the best car I have driven till date. Period. Mind you I have driven a lot of cars ranging from Ford ,Toyota ,VWs ,Fiats, Dodges, Pontiacs, Nissans, Chevrolets and a lot more. No experience was close to TJET experience.

I have not driven the Abarth branded cars yet and I am sure they will be better than Linea TJET. There was news that Fiat India may come up with Abarth Linea as well. I do not think Fiat Tipo is coming any time before 2017 or may be 2018 looking at Fiats pace in India. We may have the Abarth Linea next year though. Call is yours and I hope you pick the best car suited to you.

P.S: Till date I regret not getting the Linea TJET. And FE was not even a consideration.
    Vamshi, Turbothinghy and GANESH H like this.
  7. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    +1 to this.
    And add C-class, Volvo, SEAT, Skoda, Honda, Mazda, Jeep to the list.
  8. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    @Vamshi: Considering your monthly running of 2000 kms per month, petrol option automatically gets ruled out.

Also, pls take a test drive of ECU updated Linea diesel. I have recently been to a road trip of Rajasthan in my Linea diesel and it was super fun (I agree that this "fun" factor was missing in pre-ECU updated Linea but no more now)
    Vamshi likes this.
  9. Vamshi

Vamshi Timido

Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I have taken TD, and I had that grin on my face immediately.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 2, 2015 ---
    Thanks for the detailed write-up nibedk, FE is one of the consideration for me and some how I am not much happy with petrol cars.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 2, 2015 ---
    Again, dont know if this right forum or post to ask these questions or should I be talking these things. I wanted to know what is the maximum discount I can get now. Aadya has offered a discount of 106000 on the OTR price of 1296427. Is this a good deal or should I be expecting some more.

Secondly: I have been seeing wolfmoto, ecu remapping and all other stuffs. what would be the approximate cost for getting it done and is it safe to get it done for a new car.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  10. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    December is the best month to negotiate and get maximum depreciation benefits. You can go for more.

For Wolf remapping, I think that can be done post-warranty period to be on a safer side.