1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 90hp - 1.72 Lacs Kms

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by sk.kashyap.92, Sep 29, 2016.

1. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    hi all,

I own a Punto 90 hp and i have clocked the car to 1.72 lacs kms as on today. The car was purchased in year 2010 and lately car is eating too much of money in terms of maintenance.(maintenance is anyways high as there are greedy dealers jsut trying to sqeeze out maximum from our pockets) Every month there is some or other additional expenses which keeps coming.

Since the car has clocked 1.72 lacs i am in confused state whether i should retain the car or sell it out. I had tried clarifying the same with fiat service center guys but the suggestions varies from person to person. Where few claim that there are customers who have clocked Linea 2.75 Lacs kms and some claims that the life is more less to 1.7 - 2 lacs kms.

I had got my car evaluated at the maruti and fiat and the rates quoted are very low. To my surprise Fiat had quoted less than maruti "i guess they knew how good the resale is" lol. When confirmed with the mechanic who checked the car at true value maruti and fiat both said that the health of engine is good and is maintened well.

Need help of all experts here on the above. I am still in love with my car i still don't feel like selling. My only concern is the life span of engine and car. Whether i should invest few more thousands and retains the car or should i sell this and buy a new one. I have serviced my car at an interval of 10-12 k kms max after 1 lacs kms. Also all the preventive maintenance is carried out on time.

Also wanted to know how many proud owner of punto and linea diesel on forum who have clocked 1.70 lacs and their views.

Your help and suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    kirenh and KPR like this.
  2. V. K. Pasupathy

V. K. Pasupathy Amatore

Karur, Tamil Nadu, India
    Karur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi @sk.kashyap.92, my friend 's Linea has clocked 2.25 Lakh kms and still going strong. Have seen several cars with 1.3 Mjd engines (swift) with over 3.5 Lakh kms and a couple of them with over 5 Lakhs, without requiring an overhaul in the fleet of a large cab Service provider (a friend of me) to a large corporation. MJDs are quite reliable and outlive our expectations.
    sk.kashyap.92 and KPR like this.
  3. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    You know the answer! Keep it with you. Looks like you have maintained it well. Care to explain more on maintenance spend? Which all parts are replaced or need to be replaced?
    sk.kashyap.92 likes this.
  4. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Have recently replace head lights, front bearing and rear hub. Got the timing chain and clutch work done around 15k kms back.There is steering leak which needs to be repaired locally. Have my brake pads asking for replacement. Since my out market alloys have given up need to replace thise with steel rims, tyres too will need replacement in next 10k kms..So on...

Maintenance has been quite high apart from service i am spending around 5k on an average monthly.

What i am getting in exchange is 1.10 lacs + exchange bonus around 20-30 k which varies from brand to brand. One of my friend has suggested to invest around 30-40k and retain the same for 1.5 -2 yrs. I was wanting to know from my post on the life span of 1.3 mjd and i think it will be wise to retain if the figures mentioned by our friend vk pasupathy are with other owners too.

Looks like you own a new fiat. Whats ur odo?
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Seems like maintaining 90Hp is costly affair ? Mine is 75Hp,hassle free,ODO @ 2Lakh2K Kms.
    i maintain oil change @8K Kms and fuel filter change every 30K Kms ,following this religiously since 1Lakh+ Kms.
    vtlreja2, sk.kashyap.92 and KPR like this.
  6. V. K. Pasupathy

V. K. Pasupathy Amatore

Karur, Tamil Nadu, India
    Karur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @sk.kashyap.92

Yes. I own a Fiat punto 90hp (2010), and it is not a new one. My odo reads 90k on date. I bought it as pre-owned car only recently (2-1/2 months back) and has covered 3k+ kms so far.

The parts replacements you have mentioned are all wear and tear parts that need periodic replacement, may be except the job relating to leaky steering. But, once they are replaced, your car will be fit for another marathon run.

I would like you to read this in another forum before you deciding on selling the car.
    http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/want-sell-your-car-because-repairs-think-again
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  7. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hi Ganges,
    Firstly thanks for the update.

Yes even i too feel that the maintenance is higher in 90hp. Also FE is low in comparison to 75ps.

It gives me a kind if confident when i hear 2 lacs ODO.

Kindly address my queries below,

A) Are you using the Silena or mineral oil? As you have mentioned 8k interval for oil change.

B) Fuel Filter - One of the most expensive part at the time of service. You have mentioned an interval of 30k kms whereas FASS and manual says 15k. However i change it at 20k interval. My doubt here is whether is it safe to use the same for 30k kms. Kindly advice based on which i will also change in same interval in future. This will certainly bring down the cost if service especially for people like us who service at interval of 10k kms.

Also pls suggest if it is ok to use steel rims. Pros and cons.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    A) I'm using semi synthetic 10W 40. Shell and TOTAL brand,whichever is available with my seller.
    B)Regarding fuel filter, check here unless the low pickup is observed i'm happy with fuel filter.

when i got one alloy wheel damaged, i switched to all 4 steel rims.My car is most on highways once i came across a wheel bend due to an pothole which lead into air leak, with alloy this doesn't happens. Also the weight of steel rims is very lite compared to alloy wheels.i didn't felt confident with steel rims on bad roads.Alloys gives confidence. Also different kind of sound(just my feelings) is resonated inside the cabin when i used steel rims.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 30, 2016 ---
    Exactly, periodic replacement and i dont see anything to worry,unless there is an issue with engine.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  9. sk.kashyap.92

sk.kashyap.92 Amatore

Gurgaon
    Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Gsn
    Ganges- You have mentioned using 10W40 above. FASS and manual says we need to use the 5W 40. Any specfic reason for change of oil grade? How long are you using it??? I am using 5W40 and had never changed from Selina. Will chane in company have any effect if the grade is same?
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 30, 2016 ---
    Thanks for the link. Its an eye opener. I don't see any reason of investing money in new car. I guess its better to go for second hand 2 3 yrs old car. Saves lot of money.
    As far as my car is concerned will get it checked with FASS tom on the engine health and upcoming expenses.
    V. K. Pasupathy likes this.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    When TATA-FIAT JV broke up in 2012, there was no service centre near to my area,hence preferred to do the changes on my own,so never bothered about warranty and the selenia. 5W 40 is fully synthetic, 10W 40 is semi synthetic.

After reading online reviews on oil grades and also the price, lead me to change with the oil grade.i have kept drain interval at 8K(sometimes 6K Kms) Kms,however i'm ending up with same amount as of 5W 40, but the thing is that i'm getting fresh oil at every 8K Kms.

Above that i found TOTAL better than Shell. i have used Shell Helix Ultra 5w 40 too, but never found a difference in NVH levels when shifted to Shell HX7 10W 40.