1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 90 Sports or Ford Classic

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by nmurthyks, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nmurthyks

nmurthyks

Hyderabad
    Hi,

I am currently looking to buy Punto 90 Sports. But the general opinion from friends and family suggests that Ford Classi (D) top end is available for 50K more to this and it is a Sedan.

So the dilemma between best Hatchback Vs Good Sedan (C-class).

I need suggestions from the experts.

BTW - adding my requirements here:

1. Monthly running around 800km (will increase more once I get it).
    2. Previously owning Indica V2 -D
    3. 4-6 Long trips (1000-1500 km round trips) in year.
    4. Safety is important so ABS is important in the car for me.
    5. Mine is a small family so there is no strict space requirements. But a good back seat is always good for occasional additions.

Thanks,
    Murthy.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Murthy, what are your requirements?
    Do you need boot?

How much difference is with Ford Classic and Linea MJD?
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Murthy,
    warm welcome to TFI. :)

i would like to ask you to do the test drives aand get a feel of the car rather just a car :D .
    When it comes to 1-box 2-box 3-box design then the names comes on paper like Hatchback,Sedane etc etc
    Above all you will never get a feel that Punto is hatchback,it have all the features of Sedan.
    TATA Indigo is also a Sedan ;)
    1 person likes this.
  4. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    This one is a tough choice...

You will not go wrong with either...

Fiesta (pro)
    1.bigger back seat space
    2.Slightly bigger boot
    3.Status of a "sedan"
    4.With sedate driving u should get more mileage than Punto (again slightly moreonly)

Fiesta (con)
    I think it has less space on inside edge to edge..looks small inside
    When loaded drive pleasure goes down rapidly
    High speed mieleage is around 16 (same as Punto)
    Relatoively higher maintainence(genrally speaking)

Punto sports 90 HP (pro)
    Easily the best looking...u'll get more praises & u stand out in crowd
    Bigger inside space..
    Better highway driving pleasure

As always..you will have a smile on ur face everyday u look at car...
    EMotional connect to ur Punto...this will not happen with Fiesta

Cons:
    Not a sedan
    Slightly smaller back leg room space

Finally I would say go with your heart....!!!
    1 person likes this.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Hi Murthy,

If you're willing to stretch the budget by 50K and are okay with a Sedan, the Linea Active will fall right into that price bracket. Take a good hard look at it. Though it may be the base variant, but it's feature set is by no means ordinary - Auto headlamps+Rain sensing wipers standard among other thing. The only thing it lacks is ABS and Airbags. The Multijet engine is in a class of it's own and the outdated Fiesta diesel engine is really one generation older.

Otherwise, the Punto Sport is all the car you will ever need.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  6. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    The fact that you are looking at Punto 90 HP Sports means you are also looking at style. And there is no better style statement in that range than Punto 90 HP Sports.

Fiesta Classic is also good and you will get similar driving dynamics (Ride & Handling). It's a sedan with a boot thats the positive. On the cons side its an old generation engine as gurjinder said. And the car is at the end of it's life cycle. It's continued only as All New Fiesta is priced very high and Ford did not want to exit from this price range. Otherwise, you'll enjoy driving Fiesta Classic also.
  7. nmurthyks

nmurthyks

Hyderabad
    @Ganges: Thanks. I test drove Punto and felt very good inside. That's the reason I am ready to buy it. In fact I would have booked this yesterday itself but stopped because of the Fiat dealer's responses (they themselves suggested me to wait for next month and not interested to take the booking now). I have requested Test Drive of Ford classic tomorrow.

@Ravi: I have updated my requirements above.
    Ford classic is 940000 & Linea MJD 1120000.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Which city are you from Murthy? Members might suggest you some better dealers in your city.

I think Linea's price is for top end, please check Active and Dynamic model as well.
  9. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ Murthy, I have driven my colleague's Fiesta Classic. No doubt its a good car, but the feel of Punto is quite different. Especially on highways. Compare this - 60 odd BHP of Classic v/s VGT 90 HP of Punto !!!! Even I had this dilemma when I bought Punto. But somehow, when I drove Classic, it failed to give me the big car feel and lack of features was a turn off. Added to this fact, these days Classic is slowly getting the 'taxi' badging to it.

One more thing to note - Classic has service intervals of 6 months and their service bills are definitely not cheap. So factor in this as well in your decision making

At the end of the day everything depends on needs and requirements, so go as per your needs.

Btw, welcome to TFI :up
  10. nmurthyks

nmurthyks

Hyderabad
    Thanks all for the replies.

@puntosat: Here are the comments from your response I would like to know and get confirmed.
    Fiesta (cons)
    When loaded drive pleasure goes down rapidly
    Relatoively higher maintainence(genrally speaking)

Other than the safety features, Drive pleasure & maintenance are the ones I am looking in a Car.
    Anybody shed more light on this front.

@gurjinder: ABS is a must for me as a safety feature. SO cannot take active variant

- - - Merged Post - - -

Ravi,

I am from Hyderabad.
    Here all the dealers are closing with Fiat it seems except Tejaswini motors. Tejaswini are new Exclusive dealers for Fiat.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.