1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 90 hp vs polo 1.6petrol

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sanjeev, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sathya_sc

sathya_sc

Chennai
    We are true Fiat fans indeed:thumbup:

Where did you get this info from.. I dont like my Ritz but never thought It has 15% speedo error..to hard to believe:D

But I will convince myself that Ritz is not faster than the Fiats with your statement..even i dont like to say my Ritz almost does speeds close to Punto..:banghead: not even in my dreams.

But what to do when my speedo creeps beyond 170 in my Ritz while my Gps showing 160..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

on the last weekend I was heading for Belgaum from Satara on NH4 in my dad's i20 D (six speed). It was quite routine to pass the Swift Ds, Polos, Figos and maintain a speed of 120-130 km/h more often than not. Then came a Punto (MH09 BM is all I could see) from behind and within no time he was much much ahead of all the other cars, eventually vanished ahead. Overtaking the trucks & cars braking confidently, taking turns at higher speeds, the Punto looked so confident. From whatever I saw, I could make out the way that Punto handled was in a league altogether different from the Swifts, Polos, Figos and ofcourse the i20 I drove.
    3 people like this.
  3. sathya_sc

sathya_sc

Chennai
    Absolutely a true and fair statement. This is FIAT'S core strength area..and where it really shines and even puts other segment cars to shame. And this is how Punto's and Lineas overtake much high powered cars.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  4. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Multi----jet effect !

the real problem lies with manufacturer when they stated Punto90hp to be "sporty" "mighty" "most powerful diesal" but they are all history for contemporary world.

I never felt my Punto90hp to be sporty . it is sluggish and continues to be so.

but where it excels and I keep congratulating myself is its exceptional characteristics when it comes to ride,handeling,NVH,comfort,drive ability and power not for drag race but for safe ride especially while overtaking. and need to mention its looks ,everyday it looks like a brand new model to me.

I haven't felt all such goodies in any other car, neither in Polo 1.6 nor in my close friends Honda city which he too confirms.

@Sathya,
    sorry buddy not to offend you, I came across the speedo error in suzuki from lot of forums ,but I have no hands on experience with them.

same with Punto90hp manufaturer states 165kmph and speedo shows 172max which is nearly 5-6 percent.
    that is my own maths
  5. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    punto i guess is in no way a slouch when compared to other mjds . Its just loud when revved hard which makes people feel its slow. Today i revved the engine till 4.5k rpms from 3rd gear onwards and i must say its a very fast car and on top of that changed lanes many times at speeds of 140+ . Damn what a feeling it gave . This car is really worth the money guys .
    I previously had Honda City . No comparison even with respect to driving feel . I had also driven brand new polo for around 200 kms . Nowhere u get the same feeling in polo as u get in punto but ya i would rate polo over Honda City any day in driving pleasure.
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Polo doesn't have dynamics in 1.6, that's the reason. They sell this 1.6 & GTs in Europe but that's a total different story. I never tried to know the up-gradation given to Polo GT/High lines in Europe but i am sure these packages should be with bigger wheels, 4 disc brakes with bigger brake pistons/calipers, stiffer suspension & air ducts to suit that to high speed. Polo 1.6 is simply one irresponsible effort by VW to fix it for the budget & ignore safety. In Polo's stock form, Punto is too much for it.

One can't predetermine & high speeds like 170+ & just achieve it on Indian roads even if it is Punto. Even in Punto, you accidentally happen to achieve it because conditions force you to (some hot blooded drag or an empty road luckily). Polo has to quit after 160-170 until it has a professional (who has driven Polo before) or some fool driving it as it will get really scary/suicidal in Polo then. Polo with some modifications done like lowered/stiffer suspension, wider/bigger tires & a good driver at steering is required to get into Punto's territory. I think this is where Punto snatches away. A crocodile can tear an elephant in no time if it manages to just drag it somehow into water, best eg. i can think of.

I have seen Polo's elder sister skidding like a bally dancer@150 with me in Punto at same speed, 1 mtr away from it's trunk waiting to stabilize it so that i can overtake. It gets really horrible for cars other than Punto. I myself is not going to race a Punto FGT since i know that i have to climb 180 to get out of it's reach.
  7. sathya_sc

sathya_sc

Chennai
    Guys,

We all understand that Punto and Linea and for that matter any FIAT by far is superior in driving dynamics and is unmatched or unchallenged by other cars (may be even couple of segments above) from a handling and "vault like feel" perspective. All that I was trying to say is lets not overdo that to say that Punto 90 or T-Jet is the fastest car when compared to bigger cars (I am talking about displacement and BHP) in a straight. Pls be noted that I am not trying to belittle FIATs or its superior cars. For instance, what do you guys say with regards to these two videos where a Vento/Polo 1.6 is at 190 and in another one at 180! (videos from India)

vento top speed 190km/hr - YouTube
    VW Polo top speed in India - YouTube

LINEA and PUNTO are benchmarks in handling, but need not be in top speed and there is nothing wrong in it.. since handling compensates the slightly lower top speed when other cars struggle to keep pace in corners. But to say that other cars with substantially higher power/BHP cannot come near a Punto or a Linea in "top speed" (that too in straights) doesn't sound sensible.. I have had insane drivers overtake me in a Fortuner (not only myself - including Ramesh and Linea Lover) which I could never believe. And in one instance a Manza closely following me at 180 is something that I cannot believe till now.

For those who do not know how Linea Lover drives - He is insanely fast and have seen him risking his life during those high speed runs. We keep telling him to slow down. Cars overtaking him need some grunt and its unbelievable to know TFORT did that.. (and for the fact T-Fort rated top speed is also 180 which is close to Linea)

-Sathya
    2 people like this.
  8. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Sathya - I had a Dejire tail me at wrong side of triple digit speeds :p

Guys - I think we're beating around the bush like every other thread. No offense guys, But I seriously don't understand this your car is better than my car. Both the Punto & Linea aren't built for Drag, take her around for a highway trip or a trip to ghats and they shall reward you.

Let's enjoy the machines responsibly for what they are built for!
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Mods, My bad. It's 5 series & not M5.
    There are tens of video's for retuning 5 series diesel & going well over 300 kmph. One is pasted below:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meMsemxQZlE

"http://www.germancarforum.com" is there with lot of 5 series diesel owners who are simply doing by just retuning with no modifications.

One more thing to add. There is one M5 diesel rumored slated to launch (?) with 3Ltr V6 tri-turbo (380 HP). I am not a big follower when it comes to BMW so just excuse for being bit illiterate for BMW's.
  10. sathya_sc

sathya_sc

Chennai
    Mr Teky.. Now I understand the reason why you were at the wrong side of the Djire during the recent Chennai meet. And finally you have woken up from the slumber to post in TFI. Atleast I woke up!

Enki.. Are we saying Linea and Punto will beat the BMW MXX in straight line (90 vs 300 horses).. Just kidding buddy... :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.