1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 90 hp vs polo 1.6petrol

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sanjeev, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I do not believe Punto 90hp with 1.3litre engine can beat Polo 1.6 ..no way on road..other than in English or in papers.

polo:
    Maximum Power:105 @ 5,250 (PS@rpm)
    Maximum Torque:153 @ 3,750 (kgm@rpm)
    Acceleration (0-100 kmph) :11.1 seconds
    Kerb Weight 1020 kgs.
    bhp/tone : 102

punto90hp diesal,
    Maximum Power:90 Bhp @ 4000 rpm
    Maximum Torque:209 Nm @ 2000 rpm
    Acceleration (0-100 kmph): 14 -16 seconds
    Kerb Weight:1145.00 kgs
    bhp/tone : 78

Did you note the BHP/ton ratio ? well that will explain who will beat whom.let alone what we think and what we assume to be.

I bet drive ability of petrol mill can never be equal to diesal ones especially due to good torque (excluded t-jet petrol)
  2. from all the discussions i understand that 90 hp is the best :clap..
    i dont wanna try its limit by dragging it from one traffic light to another but one thing which i have experienced and can vouch on is that the mjd has still enough juice left even after reaching 160km/hr..

wonder what a 1.6 mjd in punto will do..
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Bring it on with your Polo 1.6 but the drag should reach it's fate & not some useless tire punishment in traffic:firey.
    I completely reject your paper horse!!

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

& Jayadev, forget 1.6, would you believe me if i say it can even take on Corolla Altis 1.8 Ltr Petrol with 134 Bhp when it goes over 120 (YES, I MEAN IT)!!
    The stats that you are referring to doesn't tell how VW has calibrated 1.6 to deliver it's torque/power. Is it 0-100 or 100-200? VW has tuned this engine very strong for 0-100 & i won't argue for 0-100 at all. But it has to be paid later on. Punto's high end tuning makes it insane & one little growling-puppy kind of engine for Indian conditions.

If some of your friend happens to own Polo 1.6, would rather advise you to check a Polo 1.6 & Punto 90 HP back to back. My friend does own Polo 1.6 & that's why i am so confident. He has driven mine 90 HP too & his views doesn't contradict with mine at all.
  4. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Specs says that Maximum Power:105 @ 5,250 ,Maximum Torque:153 @ 3,750 ,which very well indicates that tuned for high end response considering 5k-6k max rpm.

similarly Power:90 Bhp @ 4000 rpm,Maximum Torque:209 Nm @ 2000 rpm, identical power delivery means again for high end response.

for the mid end torque pushes the kerb and for higher revs and speed it has got the horse power to keep going.

I re-iterate in 5th gear punto 90hp rev needle wont move a millimeter forward after 172kmph. what will you do then ?

Imagine if this was VW forum,punto 90hp wouldnt even be a contender for a drag race with 1.6 polo sure.

I bet if punto had t-jet 1.4 engine it would have eaten up polo1.6 like yummy icecream..!!
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

I am serious about it, pls take your Punto 90 HP to TASS immediately as It does go past 172 easily. It goes beyond 180 even with 10000 Kms on ODO & oil filter, air filter & injector is clogged for 1st change.

Do you think any Polo/Minto thing can climb to 180 if FIAT Punto owners makes it appear usual::T?? It's very unusual & one needs 2 feet wide heart to do that in a car which is not Punto. Have a chill pill..!!

It no Ice-cream mate, it's one big nasty BUG who could get the stomach ached with eye-bolls of the eater on the floor. Try to know why i am so confident for a Punto. It's not always an engine.
    1 person likes this.
  6. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    It means manufacturers are wrong stating top speed of punto 90Hp as 165kmph. or they had the filters clogged.

Volkswagen Polo 1.6L, can touch 0-100 kmph sprint in just 11.1 seconds with a top-speed of 183.8 km/hr.

-both figures from a single source .
  7. i wont say they are wrong but i belive many other 90 hp owners including me have experienced speedo going more than 170 and the engine even grunting then to go ahead ..
    i have taken it to 175 with 4 people on board.
    Polo may be a fast car but the question is how does it behaves after 100
  8. sathya_sc

sathya_sc

Chennai
    PUNTO max speed would be 180. I am not sure whether it can go further unless there is an endless straight road with only the Punto. Needless to say 180 for a 90 hp diesel is simply superb. Hats off to the Mjd engine..

But lets be fair.. Are you saying a corolla altis cannot do 180 or 190.. And when i spoke about XUV sometime back you spoke about Bhp per tonne and all.. Now you are saying paper specs are confined to paper only. I know we are all Fiat fans.. But in a straight line higher the Bhp and bigger engine.. Higher the top speed. If we talk about high speed cornering.. I agree Punto may be better. But in straights, petrol siblings with higher horse power will rev into horizon.

May be in real world.. Things might be diff. With traffic and corners where still you can manage with the Punto leaving the Polo behind. On a straight tarmac with zero traffic, polo 1.6 if driven the way it is meant to be, will leave the Punto behind.

Ramesh.. When we came from Munnar.. Can you share how we drove and how the Tjet behaved viz a viz your 90hp..bhp per tonne figures are quite similar for polo 1.6 and Tjet.

I am not trying to offend you my friend.. But lets be fair. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    ENVI and sanjeev are right. GP 90HP is indeed a very capable machine. May not be quicker for 0-100 but after that its a different beast altogether. But, GP dusting the Polo 1.6 may be very difficult on a straight line. Here comes the capability of the driver :).

Yes Sathya. I know about it. But, eventhough Polo and T-Jet have similar power to weight ratio, T-Jet may have an upperhand because of the dynamics of sedan. I am sure that Polo 1.6 cannot match with the speed you did on the Munnar Ghats with your Jet.
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

The earth would appear round in a Polo@180 kmph. For Punto, if there is no traffic in vicinity, you would just like to have fun & do that much. That's the difference!! Since it's a mint with a big hole, Polo driver would never eeeevvvvveeeeerrrrr have the privilege to check if it can go beyond 180.

Well who knows that Punto@185 Kmhr is just 170 on GPS?? But the error margin would be less than a POLO because of 15 inch wheel against Polo's 14 inch. Moreover i overtook my friend's swift at just 120 in my speedo. He commented later that he was at 135 & i must be at 140+. I could not convince him that his speedo is wrong. Polo 1.6 can't keep up with Punto to accompany it to a final result because it would need an Auto-Bahn to do that. Don't take Punto's high speed capabilities for granted if you happen to own one. It by far most capable to carry the high speeds with authority & that's the main factor here. In a Polo, one may just piss & realize that "it's too late now".
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.