1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 90 HP Sportz

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by car_champ, Apr 13, 2014.

1. car_champ

car_champ Timido

Pune
    Got the second service done for my Punto Sportz. Following is the summary:-
    Total bill: 7k
    Time taken: 4.5 hours
    Major activities done: Oil change, Oil-Air-Diesel-AC filters changed, coolant top up and regular maintenance.
    Any issues observed: EGR valve malfunctioning observed in 5th gear around 2000 RPM during random test ride. Change of EGR valve planned, to be covered under warranty.

Overall satisfied with prompt, good service from Pandit Auto. Since this was the first oil change so expecting some improvement in mileage of the car.
    joeswatmail likes this.
  2. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @car_champ : EGR valve change ? how did u come to know that its malfunctioning? what signs?
  3. car_champ

car_champ Timido

Pune
    Hi Deepak, when I had around 8 K on odo I started observing that sometime in 5th gear when I push the car to 2000 RPM it started losing power despite throttle being pressed. It used to vibrate a little. I used to downshift to 4th, pull up beyond 2000 RPM and then again shift to 5th...and it use to work. Note that this happen occasionally and manytimes car use to pull up to 2000 RPM and beyond easily in 5th gear.

I informed Pandit auto on 2-3 occasions and they use to test drive and it didn't use to happen at that point. They use to attach the car to vehicle monitoring software and no issues reported at all. However during service I again asked them to test drive....and it happened at that time. So there technical SME informed me its due to EGR malfunctioning and which will get replaced under warranty. For the cause he mentioned it could be bad quality diesel etc.
  4. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @car_champ : Ur explanation points to the known issue "Sudden power loss in Fiat". Google it. You will find many people reporting this.
    As said by you this is not seen all the time. Few people had seen it when engine is in run for some long time. I remember some one saying Turning engine OFF then ON would fix the issue temporarily. However it could pop up anytime later. the exact fix for this issue is still a mystery. As far as i can recollect below are some tried solutions.
    1. EGR valve cleaning/replace.
    2. ECU change under warranty.
    3. Turbo change.

but As said earlier no one knows the exact solution at Fiat. Just try mailing the FIAT if you see this issue in future.