1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 90 Hp Love Affair begines

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by raghav, Oct 21, 2010.

1. raghav

raghav

Bangalore
    Hello All,

Nice to see all us Fiat lovers at one place. I saw a TFI sticker yesterday (on my way back from Hyderabad) and checked out the site and here I am posting my first thread.

Car: Punto 90 HP
    Bought: 8th Oct, 10
    Clocked : 2300 KMs
    First Impressions: Comfort, Stable and Control.

I recently relocated to Bangalore from Australia and had been driving a Hyundai Sonata V6 2.7. When I moved back one of the first items on my shopping list was a decent car which will help me commute as well as satisfy my passion for long drives. I debated a lot between same segment cars and finally decided on Punto 90 Hp. Was a bit apprehensive about the pick up and power, of the car because of the 1.3 Ltr engine and was not expecting much out of it (in comparison to my previous 2.7 Ltr V6). Bought the car on 8th Oct and the next day decide to the test it out on the highway.

Destination: Hogenikkal Distance 170 KMs.

Started early morning to clear the city with out traffic. I hit the highway decided to test the engine and was really not expecting much (I had not really forced it to till then). Initial impressions completely blown away by the pick up and the ease with which the car hit 100 KMPH ( we were 4 adults in the car). Even at 100KMPH the engine felt like it could take more, tested it further and clocked 140 KMPH without missing a beat. However, at 140 KMPH the power seemed to taper down a bit and decided not to push it further (this was the first time noticed the lack of a V6). The trip to Hogennikal was a breeze with the ICE playing some popular beats.

Thrilled by the initial experience, I wanted more and I decided to test the performance on a proper long drive ( Long drive > 500 KMs).
    When: The next weekend.
    Destination : Hyderabad
    Distance: 600 Kms
    Time to Destination: 7 hours !!!

As usual started early (4:00 AM) and was able to clear Karnataka border before sunrise. The drive in the Bangalore City and NH 7 was covered in night. Few things worth noting,
    1) The dials and the dash board styling is quite good. Doesn't hurt the eyes, controls are ergonomically placed.
    2) The car was able to navigate and clear all speed breakers and pot holes in the city effortlessly. The trick was the guess the right speed for each monster speed breaker and pot hole. On the downside, I felt the low beam could have been designed to reach out further on the road, as an alternative I ended up using high beam a lot (which I hate to use). But again on the upside the break system responded really well and the steering too responded well to evade the holes.

Continuing on the journey, the highway was really amazing and I was soon clocking 120 KMPH with out an effort. I did try to push it beyond 120 but I noticed a mild shudder in the car. Had noticed this in my previous trip too (don't know whether this is normal, will have it checked), furthermore, I noticed the fuel consumption was optimum at 120 (Love the Instant consumption indicator). I decided to take a break after every 200 Kms, not that the car needed it but the driver did :). After the second break I was soon reaching outer fringes of Hyderabad. The drive quality was excellent and have almost forgotten my old car. During the whole journey I never felt the car was out of control or had a near miss,(expect for one instance where an idiot suddenly thought of crossing the highway, the breaks responded so well that the car came down to a 30 KMPH from 110 in 20 mts with out skidding), the car was clearing turns at 100 KMPH and never felt unstable. The ride was very comfortable, I and my wife didn't feel tired at all once we reached Hyderabad. Three days later I repeated the journey backwards. It was absolute pleasure is what I will describe the car as.

Few words to sum it all up: Punto: Responsive,Stable, always in control and Very comfortable...

More escapades later...

Cheers,
    Rags (Raghav)
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Raghav, Welcome to TFI. Nice write up and coming from a luxury car user in australia, your words of appreciation are valuable :clapping

You are crunching kilometres faster than our member Epicenter !!. Enjoy the Punto. It is sheer bliss to a car lover.Maybe you can go a bit easy before pushing her at the top end as you are still in the running in . A little care in the baby stage would reflect well in the future.

abdul
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Welcome raghav. Enjoy your stay here, nice to see one more 90 hp. Its crafted for true fan like you.
    Did you see the sticker on outer ring road, after Marthahhalli in afternoon??
  4. raghav

raghav

Bangalore
    Hey Abdul,

Thanks for the welcome words. I will take your advice, but its hard not to push it when the engine is begging you to :)

Cheers,
    Raghav
  5. raghav

raghav

Bangalore
    Yes infact I did see the sticker at the very precise location you mentioned. Punto was an exotica red and I am guessing it was you :)

Cheers,
    R
  6. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes indeed it was me. I also saw your car ::D so i guessed.

FTA color on Punto looks excellent.
  7. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Welcome to TFI.. Am sure u'd enjoy the 90hp every bit... Drive safe....
  8. racingkid

racingkid

New Delhi
    Congrats on the Italian Powerful Beauty :up

I too have purchased 90hp Punto if it was launched a year earlier.
    Plz post some pics ..
  9. ram

ram

Bangalore
    hey Ragav
    Congrats on the new car, you have expressed each word i have to say on a punto..
    Hey can you do me a favour can you please write down your vin no(if you do not feel comfortable please post last three letter like GNZ.).
    I have booked 90 hp and expecting the delevery next week and i have been given a july model
    Which showroom did you get the car from?
    What accesories did you get as freebies any discounts?

Cheers:car
    Drive safe
    Ram
  10. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3