1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 90 hp headlight query

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by sanjeev, Jan 9, 2012.

1. hi guys..
    i went to change the two bulbs of the headlight to have a better visibility in night. I went for philips h4 bulbs. however after getting them fitted the fuses(for upper) got blowed off so i had to take them out and again refit the factory fitted bulbs only..

pls help me out with which bulb (power) i should go for and if i need a relay kit ??(the guys in the shop were asking me to go for it but i was not convinced)
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. shams

shams Esperto

I have changed my car's bulbs to Osram Night Breaker Plus. These are the most recommended plug and play ones which dont require a relay.

But to be frank I haven't noticed much of significant difference in the lights (high beams) after the change.However I find Low beam to be slightly better than the stock bulbs. Others who have Osram NB+ can confirm this..
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    True. I have put H1 and H7 Osram NB+ in my Linea. Though the low beam (30-40% improvement) is good, I am not satisfied with the highbeam. And the most important drawback of NB+ is the visibility is very poor in rainy conditions. Worse than stock.
  4. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

I have OSRAM NB+ in my Punto. I feel a lot better now in comparison to the older stock bulbs. Im not abel to get NB+ series for my foglamp. I think that model is not yet available on the NB+ series.
  5. I upgarded my Punto's headlights; Thanks to Vignesh Ram, I went for the 100/90 instead of NB+ which I was planning to buy. The installation is pretty straight forward - Of course, I had a guy who made it appear simple :)
    You need to buy the Roots Relay & wiring kit alongwith Philips 100/90 bulbs.
    I must admit these are really good & worth the money, as I have made lorry drivers dim their lights :) :grin:
    No wire cutting is necessary & so all this can be reversed any time (if required)

Hope this helps...

6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Bear in mind that the extra heat generated by the 90/100 W bulbs can lead to a gradual darkening of the headlight assemblies, which are plastic.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Osram NB+. They are of the same power rating as the factory ones, yet provide more light. So no need for any relays etc also.

7. +1 .

I too have changed mine to Osram NB+ . I can say that it is much much better than the factory fitted one in normal scenario (non rainy days). But in rain it works in the same way as the stock bulbs > pathetic .

If you want more light then 90/100 W is the option and can try as rs3sekar said .But the negatives are what Gurjinder mentioned.

8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Gurujinder is right . Chances of headlight beam to become darker is more in FIAT Cars. I used 90/100 watt bulb for my M Alto for 4 years without darkening of reflector. But I had to changed reflectors of my UNO many times for this reason.That's why I am not going for 90/100 bulbs for my 90 HP
    1 person likes this.
  9. +1 to both of them. I have put Philips Xtreme Powers (they are similar to Osram NB) its great on any non rainy night.

Another options is HID. Grandeur and Andy have put those in there Punto. I have not heard any issues from them till now. You can PM them for reviews
  10. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Have been using Philips Rally 100/90 H4 in my Punto for last two years. No darkening and super good light :D
    1 person likes this.