1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 90 HP - 16 K done - steering towards right

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by vernekap, May 1, 2015.

1. vernekap

vernekap Timido

Pune
    Hi
    My Punto has done 16K by now. I got it serviced at 14500 - which included wheel alignment and balancing.
    At about 15200 kms onwards I have noticed that its pulling towards right if hands are taken off. This right angle is about 3-4 degrees.
    Showed it for wheel balancing(at MRF shop in Bopodi Pune) - however that person thinks its a problem with steering wheel or right side shock absorber.
    Tyre pressure is same in all 4 wheels. Tyres are in good condition as of today

Has anyone experienced before ? Can experts comment please?

regards
    Pralhad
  2. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    try with tyre swap. Also get the standard WA/WB values from FASS.
  3. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Check for the wheel alignment values, the camber and castor angle. If these turn out OK, then check for the tire tread on both the front wheel tyres.

Had a problem with my Linea where the alignment was good but uneven tyre tread caused a slight shift towards left at high speed.
    Swapping tyre solved my problem.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. rider16

rider16 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

If memory serves right, even brand new fiat cars both punto and linea used to have a early wear out of front left tyre. This was back in 2012.

Fiat updated new caster and camber values to counter this issue. This update was sent to all Fiat dealers. Good reputed independent wheel alignment shops should have this too.

Check with either and get this done.

If you do happen to go the fiat service centre, as them to thoroughly check for the suspension, lower arm and steering wheel alignment as well. This should hardly take you an hour if its just and alignment problem.
  5. jackharrisw

jackharrisw Amatore

Chennai
    Friends, updating this thread since I could not find any relative thread for this. My car's steering is slightly aligned to the right
    ie., steering is not straight while travelling in straight line. I have done the WA/WB both at FASS and independent
    reputed tyre shop. There is no pull towards left or right if I leave the steering.It's just that the steering is not aligned properly.
    How to resolve this problem?
  6. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Remove the steering and align it properly, get it done from ASC or reputed mech and once again check for WA
    jackharrisw likes this.
  7. jackharrisw

jackharrisw Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks SanketGajane. But, is it a simple and easy procedure for a car with Airbags.
  8. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Go to ASC or a competent mechanic. Removing the airbags should be done after ofcourse disconnecting battery. It's not a difficult procedure, airbag can be removed by unbolting 2 screws and disconnecting the electricals.

Once the steering is re-aligned, you will have to get WA done once again for fine adjustments. Better go to a mech who can do WA and also steering wheel removal.
  9. jackharrisw

jackharrisw Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks SanketGajane for the suggestions. I will check with FASS on this.
  10. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @jackharrisw Don't disturb the steering wheel if you don't have problem with left-or-right pulling. I used to adjust steering wheel myself in my previous car without air bags. Whatever I did, steering wheel used to be slightly turned to left or right. That is because steering wheel fits into a slotted plug-and-socket arrangement. You have to turn the wheel by one slot left or right because of which it may not be possible to get exact straight steering wheel setup without touching alignment again. Why take the headache of removing the air bag and adjusting the steering wheel and then again doing alignment to find it slightly to left or right again! Just get used to the way steering wheel is if it is not major left or right turn you have to hold. In your next scheduled alignment make sure steering wheel is kept dead straight when adjusting toe. Hopefully it will fix the issue. Just my 2 cents.
    jackharrisw likes this.