1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 75 HP Vs. 90 HP (Or wait for Facelift?)

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Pratik Lunavia, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Pratik Lunavia

Pratik Lunavia Timido

Dear fellow TIFians,

I am Pratik from Ahmedabad (Gujarat) after taking test drives of almost all the hatchback, I feel Punto is the one which I m looking for.

I have 2 doubts or suggestions required from learned ppl and die hard fiat fans.

1) should i go for 75 HP of 90 HP? well I generally travel in city area and i read that 75 HP gives better average than 90 HP. but at the same time it lags for the initial pick up. (otherwise there are no any much difference in the feature of these both except the Engine)

2) The dealer at Ahmedabad is saying that the facelift is about to launch in July 2014. So i feel like waiting for that which he said 50000 INR more than current model. Despite the fact that he is offering me 1 Lac discount on Emotion as on today. should i wait for faclift ? or get this cool deal of Emotion at 6.90 Lacs on road price (plus 55K he is giving me for my old maruti Zen of 2003 make)

I will be very thankful to you all if you can provide me the technical insights on the same and other Pros and Cons. Please also provide your views on the points which I couldnt cover in the above 2 points due to lack of my knowledge and you feel like educating me (Correcting me) which can make my decision easy and concrete.

Thanks and Regards,

Pratik Lunavia
    1 person likes this.
  2. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Welcome onboard Pratik,
    I would say wait till July second week when New Punto will be launched & then make your decision whether to go for current one with heavy discounts or to buy new punto with new exterior looks & rich interiors which are borrowed from new Linea
    if you travel more in city then 75 hp is better than 90 hp because it has less lag 7 little bit better average than 90hp in city,yes 75 hp lags for the initial pick up but has better initial pickup than swift & ritz with same engine because of its gearbox which has better drivability for city use,yes both 75 hp & 90 hp dont have much difference in features except for chrome work & red stiching work which you get in 90hp only.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Hi, go for either the 75 or 90 hp, as per your choice. Both are good. Turbo lag is lesser in 90hp due to VGT but not completely gone. Fuel efficiency overall is better on 90hp (city+highway combined). But on long highway running conditions the 75hp could give slightly better FE. Basically 90hp is better suited for city and highway too with added power and acceleration. The FGT 75hp is good if running is particularly more on highways.

As regards facelift, expect a price hike also. Also diesel prices might be going up. So if your requirement is of immediate nature, better buy sooner and start saving earlier of fuel costs. There are only cosmetic changes expected, we are not sure if Cruise Control will be added, but again that is a feature for the Autobahns.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    I would say wait for facelift, yes price will be increased but you would get all new Punto.
    Get 75 HP, more than sufficient for city and occasional highway drives.

In case you don't like new Punto, I am sure existing Puntos will be available, even more cheaper than now. See old Linea is still available in market.
  5. Pratik Lunavia

Pratik Lunavia Timido

Thanks Nadeem and asimpleson,, for your prompt reply

I m little confused from your views that 90 HP is more suitable (high mileage) or 75 HP particularly in city area? (as i have pre conceived notions that 90 HP is having less Mileage than 75 HP) Further, after facelift will I get such huge discounts on Current punto?
  6. Himanshukumar

Himanshukumar Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3

I owned 75 Hp. With respect to mileage i would say their is not much difference between 75 Hp and 90 Hp. max difference would be 1 KM / L. With my 75Hp i normally got 21 KM/L on highways. in City depends on traffic it ranges between 13 KM/L to 16 KM/L.....

Highway drive is more fun with 90 Hp because it has more power and if you are power hungry than go for 90 Hp.

what Ravi is suggested is also right Wait till July.. Look both the models..... than decide.. if you do not like newer one than you may get good discount.

By the way i am also from Gujarat and settled in Bangalore..... :p
    1 person likes this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    I agree with Himanshukumar's views on power and FE. I think it summarises and leaves very less room for doubts. I am sure 90hp can cross and touch 23kmpl too if driven with good restraint between 90-110kmph on long runs. Overall 90hp offers better boost at lower rpms without pushing more fuel due to VGT esp. within city driving conditions.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

1) If you have money buy 75 HP
    2) If you have more money then buy 90HP
    3) If your suitcase is overflowing with cash, wait for facelift and then buy.

In all three scenarios, engine wil remain the same while money will buy you some extra bells & whistles. Regarding the performance whichever you get, you wont be disappointed and the smile will be always plastered on your face. All the best.
    3 people like this.
  9. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

IMHO... Turbo lag in 90HP is little more than 75HP. If I have experienced it correctly, in VGT turbo boosts at about 2000-2100 RPM while on 75HP with FGT - Turbo comes into action at about 1750 RPM...
    Other members can correct me if I'm wrong.

IMHO... If budget is not a problem(after deducting massive discount), you should go with 90HP... its a better overall package which includes all bells and whistles... and better overall performer...

Cheers.. :up

1 person likes this.
  10. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Contrary to few statements posted earlier, my observations are as follows

• 75HP is more peppier in city conditions than 90HP (What Naughty has explained about RPMs in his above post is true)
    • 90HP is more relaxed on Highways than 75HP. But 75HP is more than enough for any highway drive under 140 kmph. 90HP is BETTER.
    • Both the cars are equipped similarly except for the Turbos, power and few very minor cosmetic changes.
    • FE is and should never be a deal breaker given that the difference is quite insignificant. What matters most in Fiats is Drivability. Both shine more or less equally in this department.

If you are going to drive the majority of the kms to be clocked in City, then 75HP makes a sensible choice. If you want to spend more kms and time on highways then 90HP is the one to go. No matter what you choose, you will never be disappointed. A power hungry owner will never be satisfied with what ever power is thrown at him (using all the available power is a discussion for another thread).

Regarding the FL and existing Punto. Design wise the existing Punto is unbeatable no matter how many facelifts Fiat brings in. No one has seen the FL Punto with full specs in flesh (though there are many spottings in camouflage). But I still strongly believe it would not tug to your heart strings as the existing Punto would do. Interiors of New FL Linea looked great in pictures, but when I saw them in flesh, I wasn't too impressed.
    So, take a call after checking them out personally.

There is no harm in waiting for couple of months when a new model is at the verge of its launch. The discounts for the existing Punto will be more than what it is now since they would first want to dispose the old stock first. So donot worry about getting better offers later or assuming that the offer you have got is the best. Another point I would like to add here is that, I think your 2003 Zen would fetch a higher value in the outside market than the quoted 55k by the dealer.

Choose wisely based on your needs, be it a new FL Punto or the current model Punto.

I have to disagree Nadeem. Swift and Ritz have better gear boxes and have much better pickup than the 75HP.
    3 people like this.