1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 2012

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Anish_A, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Vijairaj

Vijairaj Amatore

Chennai
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    What was the odo reading of the car that you have test driven. Punto brakes are the best in the segment and The screeching sound is only heard if the brake pads are nearing life. Many of us have experienced this due to the little negligence in changing brake pads in time. On an average the life of brake pads in Punto is 20000kms ish.

Which car you drive presently, does it comes equipped with ABS, if no, then the reason u felt different is because of the ABS. Please take the test drive again and notice if you feel same level of screeching again or not?
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Do you mean how 5 people could make the the car go lower? right?
    I guess Punto has nice combination of stiff, sporty yet soft enough not to cause any discomfort in potholes. Obviously it will go down by inch or so when loaded with 5 people but shoudln't be more than any other car in the segment. I have seen quite a Punto being loaded fully but it never goes down extreme like Dezire.
  4. Anish_A

Anish_A

Bangalore
    Thank you Enki::

I was just talking to a Volkswagen Service Adviser and the concept in the car is that there are additional beams running along which forces the car not to slip down even when completely loaded.

as shown in the picture

So what i was wondering is if Punto is nearly as close as this or does it completely sit down when loaded with 5 people.

Anish
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I guess that is just some Salesman talk. ;) ;)
    1 person likes this.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    which picture are you talking about.
    looks like there are beams in VW cars which pass through the shock absorbers and do not let them compress fully!! :):)
    Nice explanation!!
    1 person likes this.
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

:lol That was really funny!! Man, say hi to him on behalf of TFI, we are so lucky to read his words..How such talented people ends up being sales man. He should be CEO of VW India at least if not Global:mrgreen:.
    Don't worry, no other car has got more beams than Punto. I mean underneath, on the top, sideways & mounts inside the engine bay are scary. Actually that is the reason why Punto is heaviest because you are surrounded by beams all over. Front & side Impact beams for safety (in face of collision with a bigger vehicle), torsion beams in the suspension n bla bla.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Anish_A

Anish_A

Bangalore
    Thank you Guyz for that valued explanation nad critics on Polo.

I'm not a novice when it comes to Cars and have done due research b4 i post my query.

I case of Polo it is true there are beams running to keep the car stable and so it is in Punto aswell.

I loaded 5 people in the showroom and checked the suspensions. "Amazing".
    I felt the car did not drop down too loo so i wanted to know if that's the case in Punto.

Although i will be visiting them tomorrow to check on this and the brakes.

The Fiat Technical Engineer has agreed to meet me for a test drive and convince that the car will not screech or skid on the highway at high speeds.

I shall update you guyz tmrow although most of you will know the results already.

Cheers Fiat
    Anish
  9. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I would be amazed if you say that new Punto will screech unless its more than 12 - 13K run,
    And would be surprised if you say that the Punto skids on high speed,
    Just take her on the Highway and take sharp turn it will be like cutting the butter with a Hot knife,,,,,,,,,
    But be cautious while doing all these tests......
    Waiting for your results sir....
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Anish, let me clarify something first. When you brake very hard at high speeds, ABS will intervene. How do you know it? Well a violent pulse would be felt across the whole chassis of the car. A few driver may get scared in case it's very intense & take foot off the pedal. It may send some momentary vibrations through the whole car. That's due to the ultra fast response of oil pump of ABS (many times a second). It needs to regulate the oil compression/decompression at very rapid rate for control & management of both locking & rolling wheels

Have no fear because ABS has taken over the job here. Keep the pedals pressed till the car comes to a halt. ABS also assist by allowing some steer as the tires are not locked so that driver can divert away from the impact line during braking. May be you held the steering a bit loose at that moment which resulted in steering that you are referring to. If you don't want to steer, car won't do. It's actually drivers choice if he is interested in steering.

I personally hate intense braking at high speeds in my Punto. The brakes are so macho that it feels like they are drilling inside ribcage of Punto. It gives the feeling like car is contracting & expanding like a ribbon. Many times i had to get out & check if everything is fine (i was confused though what to check:confused:). I opened the bonnet, check that Brake oil cap is still tightened & than have a brief look at under body & discs.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2012