1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 2012

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Anish_A, Feb 7, 2012.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

120 kmph is enough of the speed. Some Tyre screech may happen depending on the qualities of road too. For me, Punto's biggest advantage for me is the strongest braking in the segment (but mine is with 15 inch wider tires). so strong that you always run the risk of getting your car reared in case you brake it little bit tight. I think it could be due to bad road actually. Try it on some another stretch.

The rear drifting under hard braking is something overtly surprising for me. May be some suspension issue with test drive car. Have no idea on this. If you liked Polo/Fabia braking, i am confused how they are not an option & swift desire is? obviously it's always your choice at the end of the day.
  2. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    Hi Anish,

Braking, handling, built are the strongest points for Punto. It cannot go wrong with these. I haven't seen anybody complaining about punto braking. May be you need to TD with another dealer.

Regarding fuel efficiency, I've got some of the really good numbers. Once I drove at an constant speed of 65 for 15 kms from my office to home, I got 24.5 km/l. This was probably the most boring ride on my punto. On regular driving of 80-100, I usually get 18-19 km/l (60% city highway - 40 % city traffic).
  3. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    I apologize for moving slightly off topic. While sudden braking it is good to avoid pressing the clutch alone. This will not help in braking. What you have to do is to downshift and brake (or just brake without pressing the cluth) hard. This applies the engine brakes as well. Correct me if I am worng. Pressing clutch alone will release the engine to free revvs and braking will not be effective.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Dear Anish,

I did some thinking whether or not to reply in this thread. The reason is simple, you have Punto and Dezire on the plate. I personally don't even think about comparing Punto with that piece of work from MSIL. I would suggest you that you can go ahead with Dezire if you like it. But, it is no way a comparison for Punto.
    2 people like this.
  5. I had experienced real panic Braking @ speed of 130 KMPH twice and 80 KMPH once. In all the three situations I heard screeching sounds but the car didnt move away from the track. The Stop was instant and no lose of control. But the screeching sound was not loud and long. I think the screeching sound in my situation would be from the disks and not from the tyre.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @Anish_A
    There would be screeching noises in ABS equipped vehicles and it's normal. Screeching doesn't represent locking of wheels, screeching represents that tyres are at it's limit and are going to lock and this is when ABS interrupts.
    Notice the braking marks of ABS equipped vehicles, the tire tread design would be engraved on the roads in black with some spaces in between (ABS activating) whereas in non ABS vehicles the marks would be completely black and without tire tread pattern. (Just plain smooth black lines)
    ABS keeps the braking at just below the threshold of locking of tires.

Maybe you didn't notice that on other vehicles due to their inefficiency in shedding speeds as fast as Punto or you didn't press brake pedal pedal as much as in case of Punto.

@Srini Clutch should be pressed in emergency braking in Turbo Equipped CRDi vehicles for shorter braking distances. With the turbo there's no vaccum in intake manifold anytime so there's no significant engine braking in case of modern diesel cars. With higher torque and ECU preventing car from stalling the engine would fight with brakes when the rpm drops below Idle level.
    4 people like this.
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

Drive drift,

I refer to your post where you advise to fully depress the clutch when braking. Pls do not do that at any time. Your car will simply drift further ahead as there is comlete loss of engine braking and drive traction and braking distance will only increase. clutch is only to change gears and to prevent engine stalling

Abdul
  8. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Anish, I have tried some insane braking on my Punto 90 HP. Once it was over loaded with 6 people including me @150 kmph. While i heard some screech obviously but no drifting of rear/loose of control/skidding. There was a pin drop silence for next 10 mins & no one spoke a word. None of us could digest (including me) that a car could stop like this.
    Imagine a sudden dog leaping in front of your car some 150 feet away & you can save it at 150 kmph!! That what i came across as an equilant situation. I don't even need to test other cars & confirm if it's exclusively Punto's case only.

It's OK whatever car you prefer based on priorities, but these aspects of Punto's are still to be heard/seen of in other Indian hatchbacks. You have to experience it to believe it.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

1 person likes this.
  9. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Yesterday I drove Punto 2012. Ground clearance was the first thing I noticed.

The plastic quality is not upto the 90HP Punto. The gear shifting was also rubbery.

One thing I noticed was car was pulling like anything. The reason is weight reduction. New Punto Emotion's weight is 1130kg previous it was 1180. So there is weight reduction of 50kg. This helps car for great pick up.

I liked the seat fabric. Its fantastic.

The AC was chiller.
  10. Anish_A

Anish_A

Bangalore
    Thank you all for your valued inputs on Punto.

I have called the Service Mnager for Concorde Bangalore today and addressed my concern.

He said that even he has not heard of it anytime but will personally test it and then check and update me by Saturday.

I shall post his observations on the car as soon as i hear from him.

@ kedarbendre: I didn't notice any plastic difference b/w the the 75HP and 90HP punto..........:(
    Can you please elaborate????

I actually have one more concern on Punto

If the vehicle is fully loaded for rx: 5 people will the car suspensions nail down???
    has anyone tested it.

The lower of the back is not seen on the "Volkswagen Polo" so wanted to know if it is the same in Punto???????
    Anish