1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 2012 dynamic-help required

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sidindica, Nov 26, 2012.

1. sidindica

sidindica

-
    Hi everyone,

The car has clocked 3132 kms as of today in a lil round of two months. The car was perfectly fine till yesterday, but today I was surprised by these 3 issues:

My car is running on Linea steel rims on 195/60 r15 tyres. Steering shows mild signs of vibration over 80. Wheel balancing to be done, as per oberoi sector 1.

Pick up on gear 1 and 2 has surprisingly dropped considerably. After that, the car behaves like normal and goes fast. Some air filter/ turbo issue? Oberoi says that turbo boost needs to be checked and air filter needs to be cleaned.

But the most annoying is that wind noise on the car has shockingly increased at 100. The car that was silent yesterday was noisy as hell...whats the issue? No door seal was tampered, its full factory. Only the speakers have been changed else, no panels were ever removed.

I am taking the car tomorrow again in morning, and they promised to get the issues resolved. but whats a peculiar root cause of problems 2 and 3?
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Can you tell about your driving habits? The accelerating, use of clutch and braking (especially hitting the humps and potholes)?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012
  3. sidindica

sidindica

-
    These days the car is used in typical delhi traffic. I upshift early to keep the engine at low rpm and do NOT press the throttle abruptly, but gradually as per thr torque spread. On the highways, its always on gear 5. Clutch used is less. Braking is normal, neutal and then normal braking.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Vibration issue should be fixed, hopefully, with balancing.
    2nd issue normally happens due to air filter clogged, but it should not happen suddenly, turbo needs proper check.

There is wind noise, but how it increased suddenly, no clue. May be related to any of above.

Keep us updated what your service center diagnoses.
  5. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Highways won't be a problem as there won't be much clutch and gear shifts but Punto is having the turbo lag. The turbo opens at 3rd gear (almost around 1700-2000 rpm) and if you keep the low rpm with earlier upshift may cause the issue. The potholes and the humps if hit regularly at a bit high speed, the suspension causes the issue and the vibration at your steering will be felt. Third issue, I too am not aware. Still I drive in 120 with no air noise in cabin.
  6. sidindica

sidindica

-
    I had enjoyed a well rounded torque spread till yesterday but today, in the same driving route, the pickup under similar conditions was less. I hate overrevving the engine, but today some bit more rev was need to get the car going. I suspect some dirt.

Earlier in the day, I also drove a micra for 60 kms (k9k has zero lag) so initially thought that its influence may have habituated on the multijet but the car did not drive as well today like it did yesterday.
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Some possible causes are
    1. Bad fuel
    2. Turbo problem
    3. Could be some sensor issue.

TASS will check for error codes and will be able to figure out from it.

Did you start observing wind noise after replacing the stereo? Windscreen area, mirrors and A pillar areas contribute more to wind noise. There might have some leaks developed recently.
  8. sidindica

sidindica

-
    stereo is factory stock, I only changed the speakers and that too in late september.
  9. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Primary suspect is Bad Fuel. Use it up fully n try some other fuel station for nxt refill .
    Cant get why wind noise is suddenly increasing..any crack or gaps in glass.. quarter glass or anywhere?
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I was recently browsing through a article on aerodynamic connection on wind noise. As I mentioned in the above post the main areas that are responsible for wind noise is A pillar area and the nearby area. There might have some spots developed that act like sound sources. Might have been there and become worst due to the change in climatic variations. These are the possibilities that may not be visible by direct inspection. It may go by its own way.
    1 person likes this.