1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 2009 , broken gear box -- Need help ----

Discussion in 'Technical' started by arjunrathour, Sep 16, 2014.

1. arjunrathour

arjunrathour Timido

chandigarh
    Had some problem with 3rd gear, took it to fiat dealership. After opening the gear, they tell me 3 , 2 , 1 all need to be replaced bla bla bla ... Total estimate 40K ????

What should i do , get da new one which is approx 40 - 45 K , else i am getting a used one for 25k but don';t know how good it will be.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Hi, can you describe the issue in further detail. How many km's has the car covered?

Also what exactly are they asking to replace which makes the total bill 40Ko_O

I am not aware of the complete design but gears 1,2 and reverse run off a common hub in the Punto/Linea gearbox. One gear is roughly 3-4k in price so a total of 40k seems massive, if we assume they want to replace some gears and syncronisers.
    zenwalker, asimpleson and Ravi like this.
  3. arjunrathour

arjunrathour Timido

chandigarh
    Hi it has done around 1,60,000 Km's +. What needs to be changed

- 3rd gear , 2 gold rings and the whole thing ( excuse a layman's language)
    - 1st and 2nd , have developed same problem ---adjuster or the ring
    - gear shaft has also got some scratch
    - rod , bush etc etc -- which helps in changing the gear

I am confused as to should i go in for the repair or get a second hand one.??
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    That's a bummer really. Never heard of these issues on a relatively low mileage car. I did have the 1-2 gear hub changed on a Punto but it had done 2.5 lakh km.

Try searching for a gearbox from an accidental vehicle from the local "scrapyards". 40k on repair does not feel right.

Cheers.