1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.4 vs Punto 90HP:A comparison

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by sungoa2010, Jun 23, 2012.

1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

90HP hovers between 150 - 180 km/hr just like seconds needle on a wall mounted clock, so easy!
    You can feel the pick up at 150 km/hr:D
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Are you sure ENKI? It always took some time for me to get into 180ish from 160.
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

That's because of air drag.
    I was confused initially as it felt so easy at times & very hard other times. so easy that i was surprised. When it appeared tougher, That even made me clean filters etc. etc. Finally i got it! I can see the way trees are waving & determine if it would have issues at high speeds. My way:lol.
    It's absurd but a big - big factor as air drag increases exponentially at high speeds wrt. to increase in speed factor. Car may be fighting as much as 10 times more air than it was fighting at 80 km/hr. If the same air is blowing at twice the strength, it's effect could multiple by 2 i.e. 20 times. On the other hand, if it is pushing instead of pulling it, you may get the speeds much much earlier than you can ever imagine. I have noticed it many times in my case. Try it some day, you will be pretty astonished not only how good mileage it gets at very high speeds but also your car was carving through much better. It can be opposite on the same route some other day. But it's applicable for all the engines, whether petrol or diesel.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I have a 90 hp and have test driven 1.4 multiple times . I would like to differentiate them RPM wise :

900-2000 RPM: Punto 1.4
    2000-3000 RPM: 90 hp
    3000 plus : Tie

Punto 90 hp has a tremendous pull after 3000 RPM that doesn't go out of breath till 4500 RPM and is a dream to drive.

1.4 has 114 NM of torque at 4500 RPM and due to its free revving nature it doesn't take much time to reach this RPM and at around 4000 RPM onwards it's a true rockstar.

So I guess in more bumper to bumper traffic 1.4 makes more sense ( if you are okay with the FE differences), else it's 90 hp all the way :D

Totally my opinion.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Turbothinghy

That's a valuable post, not since it states reiterates the champion-nature of the mjd, but since it emphasizes how under-rated the 1.4 Fire is: truly excellent fast-cruise highway car in its own right, gives great highway mileage too. In either case the short initial gearing seems to put some/too many folks off though: a hasty and perhaps/likely wrong judgment, one can't help feeling.

Did you sample the 1.2 fire? If so: your sense, as an inexpensive city-traffic-biased car, that is?
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    1.2 isn't a bad proposition at all, in fact it's drivability is the best amongst fiat's other current offerings. It has a pretty decent mid-range( something Fiats have always had). Torque figures are also pretty misleading (only 98 NM for a car weighing close to 1.2 tonnes), as they come at such low RPM, 2500 RPM. It's a city car nonetheless as it reaches 100 km/hr at 3200 RPM, if I am not wrong. Still if one knows how to extract best out of this machine, he/she would sue the Fiats for 1.2's power output figures :smuggrin:
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @Turbothinghy The issue with the 1.4 which is not specific to FIAT is the higher tax bracket that it falls in. That leads to a big difference between the mid variant (1.2) car with the top variant 1.4 which is priced very close to the top variant diesel. That was the reason after looking at petrols all along I suddenly jumped and bought the diesel Punto.
  8. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ENKI

Get your facts correct

You think of overtaking a cruze (166 bhp) with a 90 Hp immpooooooosible. Have you driven it it is truely a diesel rocket. Just read the acceleration and deacceleration timing they are close to 1G. The only reason it won't overtake is due to the shear size and it will take more space which is less even on highways.When cruze accelerates you will get a sudden thrust on your back.
    If a car is not able to overtake it does not mean the car is not strong it is due to the driver and the cost involved in buying that car.Just Check out the power speed and RPM delivery graph of Cruze and you will see what I am talking
    kedarbendre likes this.
  9. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I agree..but 1.4 Punto is highly under rated. That's what I wanted to bring out . Also petrol heads would not be disappointed by that machine specially on the highway. The way it sounds at the higher RPMs is just pure bliss.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @KKAUL

Interestingly the Cruze diesel 2.2 litre i think (now 2.0 litre) IS nothing but the FiatPowerTrain 2.2/2.0l mjd of 10+ years ago, the latest mjd 2.0 l which will be made in India and used in the India-localized Jeep(s) and Tata(s) by 2017 has evolved far ahead of GM's version, which they acquired as part of their whole 2 billion dollar put option payout to Fiat soon after Marchionne took over and pretty much checkmated them....into saving Fiat. The new mjd 2.2 litre just launched on the Jeep Cherokee in Europe is pretty close to if it is not clearly the best diesel of that size, period, better it would appear from reports than anything Mercedes or VW/Audi or Ford have, and possibly better even than bmw's. It will be used on the new Alfa Romeo-s, no less.

PS: Hyundai's diesels are not in the same class of all-round quality or performance as the mjd-s. The 1.3 90 hp Avventura is as many as 4 seconds faster in gear from 20 to 60 and from 40 to 100 than the hyundai i20 Active 1.4 diesel (though 0.6 seconds slower from 0 to 60), as per the test stats from AutoBild India, with vastly better emissions, incredible aggressive mod/map-abilitity, relatively inexpensive, high-tolerance/redundancy components, too. And this is just mjd1, Europe has moved on to mjd2 fuel injection with much higher torque at much lower rpm-s,better fuel efficiency and emmissions too......it's the market's fault for not having room for Fiat to bring the mjd2 next-gen version of the 1.3 diesel mill.
    KKAUL and dadasaheb like this.