1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.4 vs Punto 90HP:A comparison

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by sungoa2010, Jun 23, 2012.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I am using punto 1.4 since 2010. Have done considerable amount of highway and city drive. My experience with 90 Hp is very less. have done some test drives but lack a detailed understanding of the machine compared to the 1.4 Punto. I just checked in the forum where there is not much a comparison between the two. Both are having same BHP but 90 HP has better torque. I just want to know a close comparison between both in terms of ride and performance.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

Well, my dad has driven both in the city, and felt the overall performance to be a little similar, albeit the 1.4 being a a bit more responsive, and very silent, being a petrol. But yes, that "pull" was missing. This was what my dad told me....

IIRC the 1.4 takes 13.5 sec and 90hp takes 1around 15.5 sec to reach 100.
    1 person likes this.
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    True Power of 90 HP is 92.7 PS means rounded off 93 BHP
    True power of 1.4 is 90 PS means rounded off 87 bhp.

Torque of 1.4 is 114 NM @ 4000 RPM
    Torque of 90 HP 209 NM @ 2000RPM. Wow ! such at low rpm
    As max. torque of 90 HP can be achieved such at min
    RPM you can comfortably cruise without changing more gear change.

As multijet has turbo-charged engine,in hilly area you don't have to press more throttle to climb hilly area. In ghat section turbo engine is always winner

Petrol engine is only rev friendly,it is peppy & faster acceleration.
    But it is unable to give strong torque. due to less torque it can,t pull the weight of car as easily as diesel engine.
    2 people like this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks bhai. But I have tested my machine with DDIS. I didn't find any lack of performance with my 1.4. I had tested it with many that come with my punto in highway. But I never get a chance to compare with a 90 HP. Infact one of my relative asked me about the performance of 1.4 and 90Hp. I could only give the facts on the paper that you mentioned, but no real life comparison. That is why I thought I will start this thread.

---------- Post added at 05:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Can any one provide the torque/power vs rpm curve of Punto 1.4 FIRE(stock)? I could find only the 1.4 8V but not 16 v from net. curve of 90 HP is available on net
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Yet to drive a Fire 1.4 but it won't disappoint, i am sure. I have my set of observations.

One can talk about NM@rpm or BHPs to sound technical but FIAT engines are special their own way. Total endurance & out of skin performance! If there is lesser air drag (lesser wind blowing in opposite to the motion of the car), 90HP is good enough to be an impossible sight on Indian roads. I have seen Cruze/Altis/Civics/Accords following up & then letting it go. Not because they can't climb those speeds but the fact what speeds they have to be at to overtake this thing. That does scare! Even more astonishing is that these engines are no where close to latest efforts by FIAT (diesel in 2004, Petrol in 1985). It give goose bumps thinking what MJD-2 & Multiair can do.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Why don't you have a test drive of 1.4 and give some feed back.:smile: I want to know the experience of a 90HP owner. I hate to look in to the test drives at auto forums and auto magazines because their understandings about the car is much much less compared to a passionate owner.
  7. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Bangalore
    Hi Sungoa, thx for starting this thread. Even I wanted to check these two side by side. Sometime back I posted about my experience with Linea MJD (i hope it has same characters as 90 HP and gear ratios) here. http://www.teamfiat.co.in/i-am-off-...scussions-comments-chat-etc-43.html#post98432
    I think it might be difficult to overtake 90 HP if it is started in front, but we can always tail it :D (probably I can cope with it till 175+ which is the max I touched) . 90 HP has to sweat more to overtake us for sure. As I mentioned in my above post, it is difficult with 14" rubber. Its bit scary. [I will be putting 15" soon :) ]
    May be during next fiat meet, we can check this. What say?
    1 person likes this.
  8. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

I can't imagine a ANHC 1.5 V-TEC in Linea. It will scream to move this monster of a car.
    Even worst imagine is Jazz's 1.2 ltr 90 HP petrol with the same output as that of 1.4 fire.
    That may turn even uglier sight:mrgreen:
    Hope it gives you some insight that Power/Torque figures at least for B/C segment cars can be quite misleading.
    2 people like this.
  9. +++ for starting the Thread :)
    I too have never rode a 90 HP, and definitely will love to get a good hand on it in the next opportunity.
    For sure, I have enjoyed the initial pull, while I driving the 75 hp MJD GP. So guess it would do the same with even more vigor on the 90HP and will do more as the power requirement increases with more in the speedo.
    So here, what I will be more interested to know is how it does that once you are in 120/140 kmph+ zone. I can say with enough confidence that my 1.4 GP EP has never (well, almost) dissapointed me when I asked for more while in that speed zone.
    1 person likes this.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Just look at of 1.2 FIRE. On paper it sound like a toy engine for punto's weight but in reality it is a monster if driven by a person who understand it. the 1.4 and 1.3 MJDs do much more than what we anticipate from the figures on paper.

On NH4 I have seen quite number of DDIS that cannot be able to even tail the 1.4. One has to decide in advance how one is going to drive. If one start in a lethargic mood and suddenly jump to spirited mood 1.4 will take some time to adapt to the situation and by this it will loose some crucial moment, after this lag it climbs with a never ending enthusiasm.

I agree with you 100 percent.