1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.4 petrol engine - loud hissing noise

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by RaviHegde, Jan 13, 2015.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I think you will have to replace the entire hose set, to be on the safer side. The entire hose with all the joints etc costs around 800, I think. I had done that once, around three years back.
    Observe it on a regular basis, coolant level as well as the temp needle.
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @fiatlover Can you please pm me the part number from your service records if you have it?
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    thermostat_stile_1.3_mjd.jpg

@RaviHegde, I could not find the 1.4 schematics/part nos. too. This is of MJD, but certain parts or similar ones could give you a cost estimation of things that could go wrong and what they could cost.
    http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/replaceme...oses-thermostat-water-pump-1-3-mjd-stile.html

Since there was an initial leak, I was thinking there could have been an issue with water-pump, or thermostat or temperature sensor or fan. The most small and/or cheap error prone thing could be temperature sensor or maybe a thermostat too. Although I am not sure how to diagnose these issues, esp. if there are intermittent issues with one or two of the components.

Also just for info Fiat did sell a sealant for Uno. I think they might be selling one now also. If you can find one for diesel, I bet it would work very good for petrol too since anyways coolant goes above boiling point in both, if cooling is not adequate.

What you can do is call-up Hubli guys and tell/demand them to give you part nos. and prices for the same. Did you pick-up the part or what remained of it from the workshop. Do attach pics in that case.
  4. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    As far as I have noticed no other part like water pump, temp sensor or thermostat seems to be a problem (at least so far) because except these visibly leaking hoses nothing else have behaved wrong. Coolant flow works properly after the engine heats up. I can see the coolant flowing into the coolant tank. Temp gauge behaves as usual. Thermostat - I don't know since I don't think we can get an idea about it from dash or visual inspection of engine bay. So, I hope nothing else has gone wrong, fingers crossed!

I searched all over the web but failed to find 1.4 parts. I don't have any hopes on Manickbag FASC at Hubli because they are totally unprofessional lethargic bunch of people interested only in jugaad work. I will try to get the part number(s) and the cost in a day or two from FASC at Mysore.

For now coolant leakage seems to have stopped. I will photograph and attach the replaced parts tomorrow. Sorry for postponing it to tomorrow; I am totally drained after the drive to Hubli and banging my head on the stone heads there to get things done. Whatever it is when this car runs it feels so good. By the way - today the car returned best mileage so far: 20 kmpl without AC with only the driver (me) @ 80 kmph speed most of the time on two way traffic state highway. That's a real good mileage from Fiat 1.4 petrol engine I believe.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    These are for punto 1.4:
    58fffbe7795175c0ad9dd1d094b5b5db.jpg 7074dd6b88f9f20fe7ad570c69d74495.jpg
  6. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    There is nothing Google does not know today. Jai ho Google guru :)

radiator-and-piping.jpeg

Hubli guys have messed up item No. 3 VENT PIPE part No. 59116003. I need item No. 13 COLLAR part No. 13125570 to use with the new vent pipe. These are as per Indian version of Grande Punto. Therefore I am pretty confident part numbers are correct. I will know when my co-brother goes to Mysore FASC to place the order. In Mysore Tuesday 4:00 pm is the cutoff time for placing orders. Parts will arrive in 1 week time. Let us see what we get from FASC.
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^part numbers you have mentioned are correct. Heres the complete list of the parts in picture: 7d8f42ea11c8b2230745ced0f440d3ef.jpg
    asimpleson likes this.
  8. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Thank you very much for the confirmation @shams. May I know where you got the list from .. please. These lists and the diagrams are life savers in such situations. That is why having them handy is important for us.
  9. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Service bill for radiator hose replacement. It is the entire hose having multiple joints and clamps. Please note that it is different for petrol and diesel.

radiator hose.JPG
  10. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Thank you @fiatlover. At least it gives an idea of how much the hose costs.