1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.4 petrol engine - loud hissing noise

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by RaviHegde, Jan 13, 2015.

1. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    All of a sudden pretty loud hissing noise started from Punto engine area (petrol engine). Sounds as if air is leaking from somewhere. What can be the issue? Any guidance for diagnosing the issue is very much appreciated. I am 100 kms away from nearest service station. Is it ok to drive it to the service station or should I tow it. Please help!
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Oops needed a reply sooner. Looks like a pipe burst, is the coolant okay. Proceed with caution..!

Also, please check the issue first and then take a call if safe to drive.
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @asimpleson Yes, coolant level looks ok. Temp indicator is at the middle of the temperature gauge as usual.

I am totally clueless here! Car was serviced 2 weeks back. Timing belt was changed. Air filter was changed. Can a mistake in any of them cause this kind of issue? Car was okay for around 800 kms drive after service. I doubt air filter box because sound seems to be coming from somewhere below the box or the alternator/AC compressor area. Can the air filter be leaking somewhere causing this problem? Any clues please. What are all the things I can try to diagnose it? Please help.

If I cannot diagnose it then may have to tow it to Hubli, 100 kms away from my place :arghh:
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    So if the engine is OK, it could be AC pipe rupture. Can you not turn on the AC, just to be safe. Drive slowly for some more time till you meet a garage, workshop. See which one you find open at this hour. Will need a light to inspect the same. Cannot think of anything more right now. Check all hoses, although don't know which area is loosing vacuum if any. Check pipes that go to brake booster too. Shooting in the dark here.
  5. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Sorry, I forgot to mention it - sound is coming when the AC is off. Being winter have not used AC for whole day. Pressing the break pedal does not make any difference. Also, no change in break power. So I believe not the power brake vacuum. When I sit inside the car and close the doors I don't hear the sound. I reached my parents' place some time back. I observed the sound when I came out of the car to open the garage door. So, for now it is not a problem - I have parked the car in the garage now and closed it! Worried about the diagnostics tomorrow. I will have to try some local garage to assess whether I can drive it to the service station or tow it. Fingers crossed ... waiting for the morning.
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @prabhjot Please ... don't "like" my problems ;)

Kept the fingers crossed whole night and started the engine in the morning. The snake, err.. no, hissing is gone! Looks like it happens only when the engine is hot.

Called Urs Kar Service Center Mysore who serviced the car 3 weeks back. After I explained the symptoms they are saying it is some oil pipe leakage and I can drive the car to Hubli, 100 kms away! I doubt the diagnosis is right and if it is right probably driving the engine 100 kms (around 2+ hours) is probably death sentence for the engine. I doubt the diagnosis because absolutely no engine warnings on the dash. So probably not oil pipe issue. What do you guys suggest?
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes don't rely on Oil Indicator. The indicators (system) sometimes malfunction and could put you in a fix, why it did not show up (on time). Oil indicators have deceived many owners. Go by the old system of checking at regular intervals, esp. now. Keep spare oil (10w40 will do for emergency) in hand just in case. Maybe the leak is too small to detect, but suddenly if the oil starts emptying it could be too late before the engine or oil light flashes.

Also check the coolant circulation system and radiator once again. If air is not released somehow, that could block circulation and cause a block in the engine water jacket, which ruptures in worst cases. Check water pump too.
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @RaviHegde Apologies, i meant to show solidarity!:p So: it's definitely not a leak of the air filter housing/plumbing?
    asimpleson likes this.
  9. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Thank you all for the help and support.

The "DIY keeda" inside me told me to first try investigating it myself before calling a mechanic. Upon close observation I found few drops of reddish colored water dropping from the under body engine guard. That was a dead give away - it is coolant! Upon inspecting the engine when it is running helped pin point the problem further. I believe I have found the problem.

In the attached picture see the hose I have marked in red color. That hose runs from radiator to the engine block. I see some red color deposits near the place where the hose joins engine block. When I touched the under side of the joint it was wet with red color powdery thing (I believe the dried red color solids in the coolant) and liquid which feels like water, no smell, nothing like any kind of oil. I believe it is coolant and it is not a big leak, but a small leak, causing this symptom. Punto is going to celebrate its 5th birthday this month end. Therefore the hose is showing its age is what I believe. Tell me if I am right - does this kind of problem cause hissing? I don't see coolant spraying out though. But area where this hose joins engine block has red tinge. May be the coolant system is sucking air through the leakage there causing the hissing sound? I have no idea at this time. If this kind of problem does not cause hissing then I have one more problem to worry about!

leaking_hose.jpg

Called the SA in Manickbaug Automibiles, Hubli. He told me to drive with an eye on the temp gauge or stop every 20 kms for some time to cool down the engine and reach Hubli. I think that will make it a 7 hours ordeal (100/20 for one hour cooling for every 20 kms + 2 hours actual driving time!) Any way scheduled a service appointment for Friday, 16 Jan with Manichbaug. Will update on Friday about what happens next. Now not only fingers, toes also crossed, tomorrow is going to be difficult with all things crossed :D
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    asimpleson and prabhjot like this.
  10. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    In this scenario why you are taking a risk? Ask the service center to arrange a flat bed truck.