1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.4 Emotion a good choice?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by sanjay, Dec 28, 2010.

1. sanjay

sanjay

Trivandrum
    :wow :clap
    I didn't expect something this long.Thanks a ton.It will be useful for a lot of people in the future.You are a true Fiat fan :car !I've decided to go for punto but I'm still to take a decision on the engine.Petrol or Diesel?Can you provide a brief comparo(just the major differences.I don't expect anything more than 5-6 sentences).
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Yashik one more Punto sold by you. Are you really a doctor?
    Fiat should appoint you for selling it's car. I suggest you to make clone of yourself and employ 1 at every dealership across India.
    Some more features
    1. Parking lights of only one side can be activated.
    2. Speed Sensitive Wipers
    3. Dashboard lighting intensity is adjustable
    + many small things like foam at several places to prevent rattles

Petrol vs Diesel
    Diesel gives more FE than Petrol. Diesel City FE 14-16 kmpl, Highway 20kmpl. Petrol City FE 11-13, 16kmpl
    Petrol is less noisy and have lesser vibrations.
    Petrol is really fun to drive above 3000 rpm. Diesel is fun to drive between 2000-3500 rpm.
  3. Vikrant Joshi

Vikrant Joshi Regolare

Pune
    Sanjay, great that you have decided on a punto(either petrol or diesel).!

Whats the monthly running for the car? guess this would help you decide on a petrol or diesel. ::O
  4. sanjay

sanjay

Trivandrum
    The alto will be used for daily commuting.Punto will be used mainly for highway rides.But it will be used within the city also.Maybe around 1000-1200 km/month.I think the running cost of the diesel is half that of petrol considering the price difference between fuels and the FE of the two engines.
  5. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    If you are running 1000km or more then you should be able to justify the purchase of diesel. I had a Santro before getting the Punto and it used to run about 800kms a month. My calculations with 1000km average run, the diesel was a borderline case, but after purchase I am very happy because even with around 1200km a month, the monthly expenditure is less than what I used to spend on Santro.
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I never want to sell a car. Its someone else who has to live with that car.
    I just highlight that Punto has 100s of hidden features because I used to see people say that Punto is overpriced as it does not have too many features at that price.
    By the way, I think I have "sold" at least 10 Fiat cars till date if we call it "selling a car". :lol:

Speed sensitive front wipers is my favourite feature. How did I miss it? I was sleepy yesterday night. ::pP
    Have sent PM to mods to add it in active variant's comfort features.

Today, I had a day long company of a Figo 1.2 Titanium. One thing I am sure about. Once you drive a diesel car, it is difficult to drive a petrol car because of different driving characteristics of both engines.

Diesel city FE is 13-15kmpl in heavy traffic, 16-18kmpl in normal city conditions.
    Best thing about a petrol car is that you can't make out whether the engine is running or not at idle.
  7. nav75

nav75 Amatore

Pune
    Owner of a 1.4. To answer about FE, I'm consistently getting ~14km/lt in city but then a lot depends on traffic condition and mine is in a traffic condition where covering 4.5km's take around 10-15min's, while the same distance on empty road is covered in just over 5min's.

On highway the worse I have got is ~13.5km/lt with a/c being on for 90% of times and car being pushed hard for good distance. Best I have got is 19+ including some ghat driving.

To me, I'm satisfied by those FE figures from a hatch that weights more than some sedans and runs wider tyres than many of sedans.

Performance again, as mentioned the first 2 gears are short but if you are willing to push in those gears, you can get decent gains but the fun gear is 3rd and to an extent 4th. To me the performance is more than enough. Yes, with 5 people in car and a/c being on, climbing uphill I do wish if there was a bit more of a poke or the 2nd gear a bit taller.