1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.3 MJD TD observations.

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by govindankvs, Apr 2, 2013.

1. govindankvs

govindankvs Novizio

US
    US
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Team,

My first post in TFI. Planning to book a Punto 1.3MJD. I Took a test drive of Punto 1.3 MJD and observed that there was considerable vibration in the gear stick/knob(when engaged). when I asked the sales person he mentioned that its normal. Otherwise the car was just awesome to drive.

I currently drive a Figo and have this habit of resting my palm on the gear knob(during long drives) and felt that Puto had considerable amount of vibration when I rest my plam on the gear knob/stick. Will someone be able to clarify if this is normal ?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Resting your palm is not adviced as per the user manual, and hey Punto has cable driven gear it shouldn't vibrate, mine doesn't.
    1 person likes this.
  3. govindankvs

govindankvs Novizio

US
    US
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Appreciate your response.. Even without my palm resting, for the short period of time when u try to shift up/down I felt the vibration to be abnormal hence wanted to clarify. So if the vibration is present in the vehicle I get it surely needs be fixed by Service folks correct ?

Thanks once again.
  4. Mohankv

Mohankv Amatore

bangalore
    Welcome to team fiat,

Even i have the same habit of resting my palm on the gear knob, n i can assure u.. it doesn vibrate at all, Maybe u were too slow for the particular gear u were in.. thts the only reason i can think of for it to vibrate leave alone abnormal vibration...
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Or not properly maintained TD vehicles also can lead to such small issues right?
  6. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    Correct. It is better to drive a nicely maintained car for little long drive to know punto's true potential.
  7. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    Similar to the amazing steering which gives you the feedback on what the tyres are upto, I think the gear lever gives you the feedback if you are lugging the engine :) Change the gear and then check if the vibration persists. Even i see this when the RPM is below 1600 in gears beyond 3rd. If the vibration persists when you are beyond 1900-2000 RPM, its better to get the same checked.
  8. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    you can feel vibrations in gear handle when you are releasing the clutch soon after changing gears which is momentary, but it is not advised to hold the gear handle continuously when driving.