1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion Tire size ?

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by knightrider, Jan 1, 2011.

1. knightrider

knightrider

Pune
    I just recently bought a Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion from Pandit Auto. Got delivery on 31st Dec 2010. I was surprised to see the tire size to be 165/80 R14 instead of 175/70 R14. When I asked about this, I was told that now only Emotion Pack variant comes with 195/60 R15 and all other variants come with 165/80 R14. I checked the owner's manual and it mentions the tire size for Emotion variant to be 175/70 R14. The car was rolled out from the factory in Oct 2010. Am I missing something here or being taken for a ride by the dealer ?

I would like to know if others who have purchased the Emotion variant around this time also have the same tire size. I don't trust the dealership and would rather prefer to get a clear communication from FIAT itself. I saw the list of FIAT contact persons and email ids in one of the forum directories. Could someone suggest which contact should I get in touch with to get this clarified ?
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
  3. knightrider

knightrider

Pune
    I think this has changed sometime in the recent past. I've been wanting to buy a GP for more than a year now and have been researching it for almost a year. Almost booked it 4 months back but had to cancel due to money crunch. I clearly recall that it used to be 175/70 R14 for the Emotion variant. Looks like they changed it somewhere along the way. The interesting thing is that the owner's manual still mentions the size to be 175/70 for Emotion ! It doesn't take much to just stick a label correcting the specs in the manual or letting the customer know about these changes at the dealership. Anyways, thanks for the clarification.
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Had they been so pro-active, at least the latest brochure would have have mentioned at least 70-80% of the features present in their cars. People do not know they have provided so many features.

Congrats on getting the Punto. Enjoy your beauty.
  5. amolmane

amolmane Guest

175/70 R14 tyres were not suitabe for GP because of its soft suspension & Ground clearance.

By using 165 80R 14 ground clerance of GP upto Emotion varient is same as Emotion Pack model.

I had checked height of all three tyres. 175 70R 14 is short tyre.

Height of 165 80R 14 & 195 60R 15 is same. So no problem of getting impact from lowerside on bad road now :wow
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes this change has been made sometime back, and as amolmane told, they corrected the mistake.
    175/70 R14 was not correct size.
    165/80 R14 and 195/60 R15 has same GC, whereas 175/70 had less GC.
    The manual might not have been updated but the website was updated sometime back.

Check below post, where we discussed this earlier -
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=248&start=30#p8268
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
  8. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am planning to remove Worn out Jk's 165 / 80 and put 185/70 R14... Question is does ground clearance impact comparing to 165/80 ???
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    185/70 will be best fit, with no to negligible GC difference.
  10. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Ravi..