1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.3 MJD 75BHP (WhiteRhino) - Now remapped Code 6 Tuned

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by whitepunto76, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Good point @whitepunto76 . This means that even a 90 hp Punto has actually ~70 HP at wheels. No wonder these tuning companies have got such a good business.
    @kishorekrs : Even I am an amateur in these topics. I feel that Re-mapping a Punto 75 bhp is a little safer bet, as it has more scope. Having said that a lot of people have remapped their Punto 90 HP/Linea to 105-110 HP and still its going fine, maybe thats where the VGT comes into play.

Nonetheless, a re-mapped car requires more care like getting the engine oil changed at an earlier interval, getting service done at lesser intervals etc. After all, its like jailbreaking/rooting, apple/andriod smartphones, where at times the smartphone gets bricked in the process i.e not usable at all. But in majority of the cases, people do use their jailbroken phone (even I am :)) to extract more value from the phone and make it more complete, even if at times it comes at a cost of a lower battery backup ;)
    kishorekrs likes this.
  2. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Its pretty interesting & definitely makes some sense. Now that if this the case with the bhp & whp; what about the power utilized by the Power Steering, Alternator, Water pump & AC. Will they contribute to the loss of the hp's with what the manufacturer actually claims?
  3. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Few differences of VGT vs FGT. Others can also add for our learning.

FGT:
    Requires WasteGate to regular the boost pressure in turbocharged engines
    Divert the exhaust gases which regulates the turbine speeds
    Exhaust Side Bypass
    Adding a wastegate to the turbocharger with the smaller turbine can significantly improve boost at lower engine speeds
    amount of improvement depends on how well the wastegate is controlled

VGT:
    No wastegate required.
    No bypass so the turbine must be capable of handling all of the exhaust flow from the engine while avoiding overboost and overspeeding the turbocharger
    The peak efficiency of a variable geometry turbine occurs at about 60% nozzle opening
    Adjustable vanes around a central turbine.
    As the angle of the vanes change, the angle of air flow onto the turbine blades changes, which changes the effective area of the turbine, and thus the aspect ratio (A/R) changes
    These aspects improves efficiency and low end torque

Kind of interesting on the design of turbines of these VGTs & FGTs.
    kishorekrs and Turbothinghy like this.
  4. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good short explanation by white punto but did'nt add the pros and cons section to both.
    Since you know the things now can you enlighten what will happen to a VGT in following conditios
    1) Your Radiator grill is clogged
    2) your service interval is 15k
    3) driving on yamuna express way like road formore than 300 km with outside temp around 50 and 6 adult on board at a speed of say 120
    kishorekrs likes this.
  5. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @whitepunto76 post remapping where does the specs stand now? Any changes in the bhp's and the torque?
  6. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    forgot to add 1 point
    4) a remapped 90 hp to 105 hp with above parameters
  7. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Well well!!
    If I have to get the correct specs on wheels and bumps post remap, I need to perform Dynoruns or VBox tests.
    DynoRuns cost Rs5000 per hr. Now its in CBE and not in BLR anymore.
    VBox is also costly to get these accurate figures.

@KKAUL - I am not an expert like you. Just have been reading a lot of tech articles post remap. Going bonkers over these technical terms/flow diagrams and engine designs. Its too big a topic.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 24, 2015 ---
    Something little more interesting on VGT thingy. See below pics.

Pic1 - Vanes Opened - VGT
    Pic2 - Vanes Closed - VGT
    Pic3 - FGT - Waste Gate

vtg_diagram_open.jpg

vtg_diagram_closed.jpg

WasteGate_BoostControl.jpg
    Turbothinghy and kishorekrs like this.
  8. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I did'nt mean any offense Even I am not and Expert and shall never will be. I just created the conditions for a VGT faliure.
    That waste gate is the trump Card of FGT. Since you have seen the graph of Boostt controller the parameter would be rpm, boost pressure and I suppose fuel qty. Now what is silently or behind the scene is air temp and humidiity. 1.3 mjd is 1248 cc
    that means 312 cc per cylinder. Suppose you are driving in south india where temp mostly hovers around 20 to 35 degree the density of air will be some what 1.25 and if the boost pressure is say 1.5 you can calculate the volume to be taken. Now comes a hotter climate say delhi the tempp goes upto 52 degree the density will reduce down to say 1.05 with same boost pressure and no waste gate you are straining your engine heavily. This is where FGT trumps. Thee waste gate will open frequentlly there by not straining your engine.In the latter condition worst come worst the mechanical seal of the impeller will give in and the engine oil will start leaking there by we all know what will happen
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 24, 2015 ---
    While making a ECM programme they have to consider everything that was my point that is the resason we have stock map
    kishorekrs likes this.
  9. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    If so what does compressor do then? Its there to increase the mass of air intake entering the chamber thereby diverting the pressure caused on the engine right?
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @KKAUL
    The scenario you have generated will be the same for an engine running continously,say 12hours.The remap done by whitepunto is only for driveability and i dont think for increase in power.So there should not be any harm to the engine ancillaries.
    Normally our tendency to go fast in fiat car with sluggish behaviour,means more stress on engine,Isnt it ?,now with the remapped car the initial stress on the engine is less,depending how mapping is done.if i want to drive at 110Kmph with stock map the stress is more as compared to the remaped car.if you are getting better driveability by 40% then its worth spending in maintanance/early changes of parts,considering the profit gained in better fuel efficiency due to remap.The other stress concerns like different shoes say 205/65/R15 , the other heavy punto itselves. 5W 40 has a drain interval of 20,000Kms and we do it at 15,000 Kms ;)