1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.3 MJD 75BHP (WhiteRhino) - Now remapped Code 6 Tuned

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by whitepunto76, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @KKAUL
    No offence,are you involved in R&D kind of profession in auto sector ? Your replies are upto the core/root,very helpful.
    Pradeepms likes this.
  2. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    @KKAUL: You are definitely into auto sector which helps us understand better on these internals.
    I am definitely not going for Stage 2 route which can impact or shorter life of engine parts.
    I am pretty much fine with only remap.
    We general public are utmost want good driveability & performance of the car within the safety limits. Correct.
    Definitely dont want to to insane limits just for fun keeping family members at risk.

BTW, if we connect the OBDII can we see how much increase of these numbers in the ECU.
    Have downloaded Torque & DashCommander. Heard that FIAT ECU as android app. Not sure though.
    Pradeepms likes this.
  3. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @whitepunto76

Good that you respect the limits
    You can see all the details in a compatible software and I hope that would not be a free download. You can definitely try with the above said.Moreover the Code 6 people would not be that dumb that the progamme is not password protected
    You could have easily seen the no. in his laptop
    But if you are giving a try then do let us know we all will learn.

@Ganges
    The real game is not R&D but conceivable implementation of the design and believe me the people who do that are very rare in India and unfortunately they will never be recognised. Rare because you have to lift your spirits above the commercial sense and have to dedicate your life for the subject which is very painful in India. and don't worry there are many more mechanically complicated products than automobile. I think that much of intro is enough
    Ganges and Pradeepms like this.
  4. Pradeepms

Pradeepms Amatore

Mysore, Karanataka
    Mysore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @KKAUL good info... Thanks for that...
    If not remap then tunning box/chip can be used?
    My interest is to just overcome from that initial lag (not to go to race)
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 22, 2015 ---
    I don't know anything about technical am new to all these things... So pls bare with me... :)
  5. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    @Pradeepms:
    If on budget I suggest to please have Viezu remap flashed and do test drive. You can revert to stock map if not happy as there is 7days money back policy. Please do not attempt for Tuning Boxes. Its nowhere near the remap on refinement.
    Any tuning box now would cost not less than 12-15K. Instead try remap.
    Initial lag wont go by using tuning boxes from my experience. It only increases the top end response if its rail pressure based.
    Good tuning boxes with injector based would add benefit to low end lag.
    Pradeepms likes this.
  6. Pradeepms

Pradeepms Amatore

Mysore, Karanataka
    Mysore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Then my next question is :)
    what is the difference between viezu and code6 remaps? Only cost... ? :)
  7. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Pradeepms

Nobody is perfect, I am still a learner and will remain so throughout my life so please do not feel shy in asking even the most basic questions. We all evolve by time.

As whitepinto said Tuning box is just Fooling device for ECM. It would have couple of circuits which will give wrong signal to Pump and flow sensors so that they work harder to achieve factory set values.It will increase power but not the basic firing cycle of engine thus no imp in pick up.
    Remap Is a good option but you should opt only if your car is out of warranty and you are not worried about the extra wear and tear cost involved.
    Honestly speaking I do not feel the lag so much that I cannot live with it. You try to adapt to the driving style of the default programme and you will see that the lag does not bother.
  8. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Mainly as I have observed and discussions with tuners, they dont alter too many parameters.
    Normally, they touch the below ones:
    Torque Limiter Map
    Fuel to Air Calibration Map
    Ignition Timing Map
    Boost Pressure Map

Each of these have sub-maps which has kind of look-up tables related to each other.
    Viezu I observed that they were tuning mostly Torque limiter Maps. They did not touch the Fuel/Air Maps or Ignition timing maps.
    Just with Torque Limited Map make it flat along the power band increases the driveability of the car. Check for some free tools you can find it yourself. However, main improvement comes from altering Fuel/Air maps & Ignition Maps. With setting optimistic boost pressure for the atmospheric air to combustion will improve the overall performance of the car.
    For Punto 75, the Torque limiter was set to 50kmph and it drops from there pretty fast loosing the torque.
    So, every time the gear changes in 1st/2nd/3rd the rpm comes down faster than expected.

Probably, I am naive but this is what I understood little bit.
    Ganges likes this.
  9. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @whitepunto76 : one more Q. what made you choose code 6 over wolf. any particular reason?
    we get 4 switchable maps in wolf including stock one. Just curious to know the thought process went in choosing code 6.
    TIA.
  10. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Well!! Its personal choice. I had got used to switchable tunes in RD box. Most of the time I was on P2 mode. Had used P1 mode only once. I feel like whichever mode works best and optimal, that's the final choice. Probably, it would be beneficial for valet parking on if you are giving your car to friends to drive put them in stock mode. I am not fan of switchable maps.

For me, I just needed one good custom map which improves driveability & performance of the car as per my usage.
    Even if I had gone for WM, I would have stuck with MAP 3 which gives more refinement rather than MAP 4.

Code 6 & Bay 6 are one unit run by this team who themselves are enthusiasts. Each one of them have 4-5 cars (ranging from Palio to BMW) and have driven too many maps to bring that refinement & fine tuning as the final result. Of course Code 6 provides life time support for the remap. Once you move ahead from Stage 1 mod to Stage 2, it also requires tuning on the remap. Both of which Bay 6/Code 6 are capable off. They have full fledged garage for enthusiasts like us. Each of their mechanics assist in many ways of modifications of cars/jeeps etc. So, they know their stuff pretty well on what they are into.

Its upto to us how much we are willing to take that extra risk to make our rides more custom tuned. Its a never satisfying journey.
    They are always there in town and whenever we need to assistance or tuning/mod support.

Just visit their Bay 6 motorworks near Hosa road during weekends. Flash the map and take a test drive. You can see the difference yourself. Instead of too much wait n watch, its always better to flash the remap and test drive to see the change as per your needs.
    If not satisfied, revert to stock map.

Finally, its personal choice. Good tuners are hard to find. Lot of patience is needed to custom tune the maps as per individual needs.
    Deepak likes this.