1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.3 MJD 75BHP (WhiteRhino) - Now remapped Code 6 Tuned

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by whitepunto76, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Pradeepms

Pradeepms Amatore

Mysore, Karanataka
    Mysore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @whitepunto76 congrats... Good to know that u r enjoying ur remapped rhino... Drive safe and enjoy....

I want to know what code6 people have told u regarding post remap maintenance, especially engine.

And keep posting ur experience.... I think this thread will become hot thread as more fiatians will keep an eye on.

Cheers
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 21, 2015 ---
    Yeah also regarding deleting EGR, is that causing/emitting more smoke.
    Correct me if am wrong

And experts/gurus, is this wolf also deletes the EGR?
  2. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @whitepunto76
    You are pretty right about your assumption that 90 hp will benefit more with little effort but in long run you will find that
    75 hp will prove to be much more safe bet on remap. As you already mentioned in your post the remap is done not to make it Ferrari but much more pleasurable to drive so doing remap for 0-100 timing are useless on Indian roads.
    Moreover if you try to increase power of 1.3 beyond 90 Hp you are inviting a lot of trouble as the engine itself is running on 75% of its strength. The more you draw the more you loose on Life front.If you really want to increase the power then it is not only the coding but you have to replace many component.
    Ganges likes this.
  3. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @whitepunto76 : congrats man.
    What about the service interval post remap. How exactly they have deleted EGR. does it mean no need to clean EGR in periodic service interval? Is it possible to identify car has remapped during service at FASS ?
    Ganges likes this.
  4. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Deepak
    Most Probably the Code6 People would have edited the table of EGR valve opening wrt RPM and Air Flow sensor. They would have entered 0% opening at every marked RPM and flow sensor reading so that it stays shut but this will solve the purpose partially as some gas will definately creep in.
    One thing is sure his FE will increase.
    Regarding detecting the ecm flashing even you can detect by the date log on which it was created forget about FASS they might have hundreds of tool.
    Service interval: Now whitepunto will need to definately replace timing chain within 60K km. OIL will last more due to EGR deletion
    @whitepunto76

I would like to see the NOx readings in the PUC because they will be definitely increase and if they don't then we have a valid reason to delete EGR completely by seal plates.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    Deepak and Ganges like this.
  5. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Now the service interval to be done at every 10000kms. Once EGR is deleted, no need to clean that much. As of EGR delete, FE should increase. Keeping an eye on it as well to track the mileage.
    One advantage I have is I dont give periodic service to FASS. I always give it to Pride Cars BSK. I have stopped going to FASS anymore.
    Let me get the PUC done during the weekend and upload the numbers.
    Adding to this, EGR has no effect on full throttle applications anyway.
    EGR gets switched off by default at full throttle. This does not affect the EGT to increase above the threshold limits.
    There is no immediate gain from EGR delete. Its only for cooler air which is advantages which might increase mileage.
    The most important benefit is that the manifold and the cylinders will stay cleaner for longer.
    Better driveability at low RPM, picks up speed a bit quicker with EGR off than with EGR on. Not significantly.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  6. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @whitepunto76
    Do you remember the EGR closing upper range in the table was it around 3000 rpm
  7. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Yes. Its around that range on EGR.

Latest Update
    Did the mid-range and top end fine tuned more yesterday on NICE road. Now, the car just flies on tap of the accelarator.
    Its insane how much power 1.3 MJD can bring out after remap. Of course, we have to keep an eye on the clutch life and the turbo.
    Probably with boost controller at the end gate of turbo we can control as much RPM we need during in-gear changes.
    Mostly yesterday we played around Fueling tables and tweaking it with ideal & rich mixtures. We did all the rev ranges and goes till 4500 rpm effortless. Did max speed of 170 kmph. The response in 2nd/3rd/4th gears are fantastic. Only yesterday I could realize what is Puntos handling at high speeds. And brakes were on the spot even though mine is non-abs model.

I would use this map for another 1-2 months till i am satisfied. Post which I will make it more fine tuned.
    Right now, i would like to drive it responsibly with these power ranges.

The ECU software used on Oct 2011 Punto was very old. There was upgrades by Fiats. I hear that other manufactures upgrade the stock maps every 6months like Ford/Toyota/Honda. Fiat is way behind in these aspects to keep customers updated.
    Marelli ECUs are too good to tweak.

Probably, with additional stage 2 of Decat n downpipe combo makes the car into beasty race car.
    The same 1.3 MJD can be modified to pull as much as 120bhp at crank at the expense of clutch life/tubro/other components.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 22, 2015 ---
    My ride post remap near Kaveri Bridge.

IMG_20150719_114020.jpg
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So any improvements in engine noise post 120Kmph speed ?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 22, 2015, Original Post Date: Jul 22, 2015 ---
    How about the stock MAP does it still exists ?
  9. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Engine noise is smoother now post 120kmph with normal engine sound. BTW, how to upload videos in this forum.
    Or should I just place the link. There is no stock map anymore. Its backup in there database at Code 6. They will create a folder in your name and store all the variations of the map including stock map.
    Ganges likes this.
  10. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @whitepunto76
    Good that you are enjoying your remapped car

FEW facts You should know ( Don't think I am discouraging remap)

1) After You have driven Remapped car for more than 25 or 30 K km on 1 map. Even if you switch to the default map it won't be of much help as it will again need tweeking to restore it to factory setting otherwise it will give firing trouble.

2) if you are using boost controller to its limits which surely you are to achieve low end torque it will surely shorten its life if you are running the engine non stop on long journeys at high speeds.Another important factor would be the ladden load.

3) ECU updates: Japanese companies keep on updating there ECM program not because they are upgrading but they collect the Data from running vehicle and make them adapt to Indian condition because believe or not they still lag behind in technology in auto sector.

4) 120 hp: It is the peak design power of 1.3 where Factor of safety becomes 1 . Travelling with family and getting stalled somewhere just for the sake of fun is not justified.

5) Moreover it is very neccessary that you must calculate the power increase thoroughly because there are other factors also such as peak discharge of FUEL filter, Air Filter discharge capacity, Pump pressure for the tune of 2200 psi, Head bolts to handle that much of power, Coolant degradation, Engine Oil degradation.
    Just confirm whether Code 6 has taken all these factor in consideration.

1 Question for Code 6 and all the Remap fraternity:
    IF 90 hp can be produced by just ecm remapping then what was the need to invent VGT ?
    are the company engineers Dumb or we are extra smart.

Don't think at any point I am against this research.

Regards
    KK