1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.3 MJD 75BHP (WhiteRhino) - Now remapped Code 6 Tuned

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by whitepunto76, Jul 20, 2015.

1. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Friends,

Wow!! Its awesome to drive a remapped car. Oh yes!

Had lot of contemplation of remaps and various discussions with forum members. Took decent advises with lot of members and finally took a plunge.
    Its indeed worth the effort of thinking and experiencing the remap driveability.

On a lethargic Saturday, went to Bay 6 Motorworks. Had taken prior appointment on the remap schedule/duration and kept whole day for this.

The Bay 6 founders Anoop/Sajan were eager and wanted to know my requirements. Gave some good list for remap to be done as per my expectation including EGR Delete.
    Took around 2.5 hrs for remap and the remapped file flashed on to the ECU.

Anoop & myself took the car for a multiple test drives before and after the remap. The surge in 2nd/3rd/4th gears were mind blowing. My car from little cutie turned out to be the beast within. With the new heart, the car went ahead like a rocket in all these gears from 1500 – 4000 rpm of free revving.

Later in the day, I was told to drive 200kms to have ECU changes set in. Took the car for 300kms drive till Kollegal & NICE road. I was like grinning all the time when I overtook cars effortlessly. I had numerous overtaking and racing encounters during this run. The remapped version did not disappoint me anywhere.

Within city, its been a boon to drive with less gear changes and linear torque available all through the gear changes.

Below are few of the observations:

1) First Gear: Same as stock. No difference

2) Second Gear: (earlier issue) Felt the torque has been surged nicely. At least 50% of pain in 2nd gear are removed with good grunt available to move the car in bumper to bumper traffic and surge ahead with needed.

3) Third Gear: This is the best gear to be in Punto. All through from 40kmph to 100kmph. Can use the linear power band to our liking. Best in-gear accelaration experience till now

4) Fourth Gear: Truely beasty overtakes gets easier. Goes all the way till 120kmph in less time. Effortless overtakes and seriously fast.

5) Fifth Gear: Has good torque in this speed and can vary from 80kmph to 140kmph.

6) Overall torque is linear acceleration along the power band with good 2nd/3rd/4th gears for city & highway usage

7) At least 60-70% improvement in driveability & performance of the car

8) After remap it’s not Ferrari, and only so much can be done to achieve better driveability/performance keeping parameters within safe limits

9) Need to check the mileage and top speed

BAY 6 guys are good professionals and did every bit to achieve this tuning along with me to my satisfaction. They answered most of the questions and had good knowledge of puntos specifically
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Congratulations @whitepunto76
    You are the first to have code6 on 75hp.Few query's
    1). More peppier like swift ?
    2). How is the turbo lag ? have to wait for 1800Rpm. ?
    3).Speed Vs Rpm any changes ? for ex:- 5th gear 2000rpm speed record is 80 Kmph.
    4). In your 7th bullet point,what is the missing 30% ?
    5).NVH improvements ?

One can imagine how your car have been turned into beast by fourth gear opening up till 120Kmph,man this is tremendous.May be top speed can easily go till 170Kmph within lesser given time.Please post updates on mileage once settled down with the code6 tuned engine :) .How much did you paid ?
    PradeepM likes this.
  3. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Thank You for Sharing,

Code 6 is the latest thing i guess in the remapping scene. Please keep us updated with updates so that it might help many to decide on this option if they want to take the plunge too. Also please share the cost details for the remap and if this is available in other cities too. I would be watching this thread closely to see if code 6 would prove to be as reliable as the tried and tested wolf from many years.

Enjoy the blast :).

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
  4. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks Ganges.
    1) Yes. Its peppier like Swift. Gear changes are reduced and turbo comes at 1600 rpm onwards. I had Swift D earlier and its response is closer to Swift D with linear accelaration. Except the sweet gear box. Gear box alone makes the difference now
    2) Turbo lag is below 1600 rpm. After 1600 rpm, the car has enough low end grunt and smoother as well. Today driving to office was a breeze and less leg pain.
    3) 5th Gear@2000rpm is at 80kmph. No changes. Its still the same. Any reason for asking this query?
    4) 30% - I have not driven in ghat roads/extensive long drives. Need to check the mileage. Hence, will post after these drives.
    5) NVH is good till 120kmph. Post which I hear strong engine noise

Need to perform few more drives and usage of the overall setting. Its just been 48hrs post remap.
    4th Gear - Man I love it for highways. Overtaking Innovas/Scorps/Eco/Dust was a breeze. It took good amount of time to control my adrenaline rush while maneuvering all within the dynamics of the Punto handling.
    Cost: 25K (including EGR delete with CEL)

How are you saying mine is first 75HP to be remapped? Just surprised as I have driven 75HP remapped puntos before plunging into it.
    Ganges and PradeepM like this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thank you for the responses.the resoon asking for the Speed vs RPM was to check what exactly these tuners do.
    Atleast in Tfi you the first, i meant :)
    i'm glued to this thread.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @whitepunto76

This comes with one map right? What all parameters go into designing or coding that map?

I guess @harryaviator was the first to remap using Code6, but his was 90Hp I guess.
    harryaviator likes this.
  7. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Yes, harry's Linea was the first to remap in cochin by Code6. Yes, this comes with one custom remap.
    At high level I understood below parameters were changed. I am not technical. Hence difficult to explain in-depth.

1) Torque rev limiter
    2) Rail Pressure
    3) Turbo Boost
    4) Ignition timing
    5) AFR

The changes are normally done in a lookup table which is relative to the in-gear throttle responses. Just with Rev limiter alteration, there will be drastic change in torque available in 2nd & 3rd gears. EGT values are not touched as this is within the safe limits.
    There is 220 odd maps in stock ECU. Each of these maps are related to each other like a tree structure.
    Max Torque/Power to be measured using Dynoruns or Vbox with launch drives. I dont want to spoil my clutch for this.
    No two cars (same model) are the same because components working together inside will have slight differences/changes.
    And ECU learns by the driving mode of its driver. So, it evolves as we drive the car within its boundaries.
    There were more than 30-40 maps which has evolved overtime and final custom map was ready to be flashed based on our liking and response. Getting remapped is one part. Post which, we need to go back to tuners to adjust the throttle response at different speeds/rpm to reach that sweet spot.

To be frank, I kind of liking the tall 2nd gear due to good linear torque.

NOTE: Generally people think after remap my car becomes a ferrari. Its not.
    Remap is only to improve cars driveability/performance within the safety limits as per the individual taste.
    If you want to experiment with the car, there is no limit either in Diesel or Petrol engines. There could be n number of modifications to satisfy your hunger to improve performance of the car.
  8. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @whitepunto76 .Congrats on your remapped Punto. I am one of those sitting on the fence and still deciding whether to remap or not.

Wolf was the only option which caught my imagination. Code 6 gets added to the list now. I am completely satisfied with the mid/top range of my GP 90 HP and have no issues what so ever. Since most of my travel is on highways I have really not a felt the need to remap yet. And I am a completely different driver when driving in city. I am very restrained and patient within city limits. But really love to push the car to limits on freeway. Besides I am still gauging the effects of remaps on the car. Since I do a lot of road trips with family I still need to see figure out remap works for me. Pushing the car to limits due to remap and then additional maintenance costs is what is keeping me on the fence.

But it was nice to hear your experience. Keep updating the thread with any other experience that you have after the remap as well as FE and maintenance costs.

Cheers to your new ride.
  9. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    What I think Few changes a tuner might do
    advance or prolong the Firing timing of injectors wrt to camshaft angle.
    increase the Fuel content wrt pedal position
    make the Turbo kick at lower rpms
    regulating the waste gate and making more air enter the chamber thus developing more thrust.
    removing factory set rev limiters
    Its purely my understanding may be I am wrong

Its is all between 3 elements Air Fuel and Timing of cam Shaft.

Go reverse by thinking How would you generate power in an Engine and you will get to know what they do.
    As far as I can understand it should not be that difficult if ECM gets into Read and Write mode.

@whitepunto76
    Did you take a PUC test after Remap and what were the result change since you deleted EGR.
    if possible can you just upload a sound track with bonnet openso that we can hear the sound of the engine post remap
    Sangheilli and Ganges like this.
  10. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks KKaul & nibedk. Yet to do PUC test post remap. Will keep posting the observations and updates.
    Will upload the engine sound sometime today or tomorrow.

Infact, Punto 90HP is more customizable and will have better low grunt & top end compared to 75HP.
    They had a 90HP remap which does 0-100kmph in 12.23s. Benefits of remap is more in 90HP than 75HP due to VGT add on.
    Turbothinghy and testdrive like this.