1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.3 decided. But which version?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by basis, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

WOO... Hold on Guys, don't get sold for some nice sounding V-tecs & A-techs. This is all pirated stuff & Japanese are good at it (same as Chinese with some reliability added). How Honda's engines are refined? Because it get's variable valve timing, VTEC they call it, right.

Let's get the facts straight first . Fiat was the only manufacturer to introduce variable valve timings in 1962 (US Patent 3,641,988 with hydraulic lifting to vary the fulcrum of the cam followers). Alfa romeo put it first in their cars (US Patent 4,231,330).
    Doesn't the fact make the mockery of Honda's V-Tec of 1990s and other manufacturer's TTTV, VFZK, ABED sound hilarious:mrgreen:?? These are just gimmicks to confuse the an average buyer. Japanese strength is "less powerful with very basics but comparatively cheaper & reliable." They are not innovators/pioneers/groundbreaking. The day they fancy themselves as pioneers, they lose the point, there they get's kicked.

@Thomman85: Dear, 1.2 Fire is very aged engine (debuted in 1984 as small FIRE, i think) but pretty robust & fine engine as per today's standard. It's put here in Punto to fix it for small budget, that's it. But it does it's duty perfectly i guess.
    Whereas Honda's 1.2 VTEC is their best effort till date in small VTECs engine category & has better NVH, power etc than FIRE 1.2. But hey, let me clarify, whatever vehicle you choose, Honda is yet to qualify as a student in FIAT's institution. If you speak in terms modern technology, FIAT latest 1.4 Multiair FIRE can beat the crap out of latest Accord 2.4 VTEC.

It's your choice whatever you want to buy but one shouldn't be confused about an automotive Father & the illegitimate son. Just trying to clear some shadows/perceptions if there are. Now you can buy a car pls. congrats on your decision!!

MODS NOTE - Please avoid the use of abusive words in posts so as to maintain the decorum of the forum. Thanks,
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. I would prefer the Jazz because of the following points-
    1) 1.2 Vtec engine is more refined , more powerful & rev happy than Punto's 1.2. Since you will be using the car on weekends you can actually enjoy the drive. Gear box on the Jazz is better than the Punto.
    2) Punto suspension set-up is better whether its in ride or handling department than the Jazz.
    3) Space utilization is better in the Jazz than Punto & according space inside the Jazz is better than most hatches.
    4) Interior quality is much better in Jazz than the Punto whereas Punto's body is stronger than Jazz.

According to me the advantages for Jazz out weight the disadvantages when compared to Punto 1.2 L.
    But at the end of the day its your money so check both the cars and see what works for you.
  3. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I found this an interesting thread with many of our members advocating the Jazz. So, I just thought that I will give a bit of background on this matter.

I was in Thailand from 1996 to 99. Since I had diplomatic status, I had imported a fully loaded Toyota Corolla with a 1.6 lit engine. It was a very fine car which I drove all over Thailand's excellent roads. However, the reason for my choice was that the Corolla was the most popular car in Thailand with excellent ASS. Toyota's higher models - Corona, Camry, & Crown were also reasonably popular. The Corolla was their entry level offering.

Honda's entry level offering was the Civic. I do believe that it was a better car than the Corolla; but its market share was very low. The reasons were: higher initial cost & more expensive spares. So, Honda got the idea to introduce a cheaper car. It looked the same from the outside as the Civic, but Honda had resorted to massive cost cutting at the cost of features/handling etc. Toyota had also resorted to such a measure anticipating this move from Honda, and they too introduced a similar 'no frills' car. What the two companies did not cater for was the fact that the Thai auto market was quite 'mature' even then. The end result that both cars failed to make a dent in the Thai market. The Toyota offering was called "Soluna" - the Etios could be the same car. I have saved the best for last. Honda's offering was called "CITY". This is the car that the Indian auto buyer is very impressed with. The Jazz also falls in this category.

It is my opinion that Honda makes great cars. But, that is applicable for the Civic & higher models. I do not think that putting the Honda badge on the City & the Jazz will make them cars that have the "Honda quality" that is present in the Civic & higher models.

Hopefully, our auto market will mature in the years to come.

5 people like this.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Great piece of information Johnny. I agree that City and Jazz are not in the league of Civic. What I am pointing here is that Jazz's interior is way ahead than Punto and even Honda City that makes it a good buy than the 1.2 Punto.

If India is matured enough, there won't be huge demand for the Maruti Cars.
  5. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

Honda Jazz has a premium feel and is more spacious also you will get the much famed Honda reliability. But once you are there to replace any damaged part it is gonna drill a deep hole in your pocket. Check the 2012 Punto and do a test drive of both and pick the one with your heart.
  6. basis

basis Amatore

Dear Friends,

First of all A BIG THANKS to ALL of you who spend their time and effort to guied me to the right choice.

Based on all your input I deselect Punto 1.2. (Though I like Punto a LOT , but 1.4 is out of my range and 1.3 Ithat I donot want to buy as my use will be low.)

My Max. range is 7 L. That's all!

One of my colleague is using Manza petrol for last 2 years and seems quiet happy with it. space, pickup,mileage (12..city..15 highway with full AC).

I see I can get Tata Manza New Aura ABS Safire BS-IV in 7 L after discounts in Bangalore.

Tata Manza is a car which has Fiat 1.4 L engine and smooth gear box.

So what is your opinion if I go for Manza (no more Jazz also)?
  7. sungoa2010

Does 1.4 emotion punto is costlier than Manza. If Manza why not consider Punto 1.4.
  8. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

You can see if the 2011 Linea Fire is available at a discount. Else you can go for the Fiesta 1.6 Classic model which should be at most 7 lacs - again 2011 model should fetch you discounts.

Driving pleasure is something that would be missing in the Manza
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    No opinion from me for any Tata vehicle :). Why not consider Verito too if you are not worried about branding?

Wish you the best for your selection process.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

I second Sungoa. How much is the Punto Emotion 1.4?

If your personal needs demand a huuge boot, then go for the Manja. Else, Punto Emotion all the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.