1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.3 decided. But which version?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by basis, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore
    Re: Punto 1.2 Or Punto 1.4 or Figo 1.2?

Hello PaddleShifter,

Thanks for your kind words, time and effort to educate me! :)

Now my question is how to check the following? How can I do this while driving the car?

What is the real mileage for Punto 1.4 with full AC in City and in long drive?

Still I am looking for the answer of the above.

I will take the might be on 26th march...

1st > Figo 1.2 2nd> Punto 1.2 3rd> Punto 1.4

One more question.

Anybody has direct Fiat Management contact detail(latest : name, position, phone no. , email id) as I read tata guys doesnot treat Fiat in a good way but if you contact directly to the Fiat Management , they take the proper action.
  2. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam

Let me try an explain. RPM is directly related with the amount of accelerator you press. The more you press, the higher the RPM of the engine. Now look at the figures:

Figo 1.2 has:
    power- 71Bhp@6250rpm
    torque- 102NM@4000rpm.
    What does this mean. 6250 is fairly high RPM and means that you will get the peak power only at a very high RPM, almost close to the red line limit of RPM. You will have to press accelerator that much to get to 6250 RPM.

Torque on the other hand is peaking at 4000RPM. This means that the best power that is responsible for keeping the vehicle in motion is available at 4000 RPM. In a nutshell, only if your engine is being hard pressed, you are getting peak values. The journey from 4000RPM to 6250RPM will be very slow and will take ages.

In city driving, you will never be able to rev your engine up to 4000/6000 RPM. The max you can go is 2000-3000RPM that too if it is not a b2b traffic.

Now look at Punto figures.
    Punto 1.2 has:
    power- 68Bhp@6000rpm
    torque- 96NM@2500rpm

Max power is coming at very high RPM but the torque is peaking at very low RPM. This will translate into quick movement of vehicle and a speed of 60-70kmph without much strain on the engine. This should also translate into good FE if you maintain in that power band.

Punto 1.4 has:
    power- 90Bhp@6000Rpm
    torque- 115NM@4500Rpm
    Punto 1.4 is giving you 90bhp at 6000rpm. Although RPM is high, so is the power. Torque too is coming at higher RPM, These figures would mean that on a highway, once you cross about 2200RPM, you should get good acceleration up to 4500RPM after which the power will come slowly. 2500RPM would usually translate to 80-90kmph.

I drive 1.4 Linea and consistently the car is giving me between 12-13kmpl on city roads with 100% ACC and between 18-19kmpl with 100% ACC on highway. Since Punto is a lighter car than Linea, I can only imagine that one can extract better FE from the Punto mill.
  3. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore

Hello kaps,

Thanks a lot for your effort and time to clear the issue to me. Now I am really clear understanding the reference between rpm-ps-torque.

Thanks a TON again.

My original idea was to go for Punto 1.4 E.

Then I saw Figo 1.2 T .... and Punto 1.2 E.

With Punto 1.4 E my only concern is the Mileage. As some oner in other forum mentioned as 8-9 Kn/L. :(

Otherwise I am OK with the Punto 1.4 E (Black Color).
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

@Basis- Have a look at this thread. It is a thread just for discussions regarding Fuel economy. Linea 1.4 and Punto 1.4 have the same engine.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=214
  5. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

10minutes window expired so posting a back to back post.

Do you whether it was a new Punto or had completed at least around 2000Km. New Fiat car gives less FE for the initial few Kms. FE depends upon the driving pattern.

There is a diesel Punto 90Hp thread on team-bhp by starrysky. Have a look here. He was getting FE of 13kmpl from his 90Hp diesel. A few of us posted in his thread advising him to accelerate slowly. Result: He came back with FE of 18Kmpl the very next day.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-driv ... ost2100960

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-driv ... ost2117578
  6. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune

Quite interesting till now.... Surprise part is 1.2 FIRE compared with 1.4 FIRE....

They are completely different engines...

I drive a 1.2 FIRE for 16 months now and have completed 23000kms.... I love the car not because of its looks but because of the confidence it shows everytime i reach high speeds.... I have touched 180 once on ORR @ Hyderabad... I must admit that rpm was above 5500 then but still car was still sounding happy.... 1.2 can easily take up five people, full boot and can easily cruise on highway at 120..... The car is not at all underpowered... ya but it was when it was new and opened up after 8000 kms... Coming to the mileage front i get around 13 with AC in city (tank full to tank full) and 16 on highways when i drive it at 80kmph...

Coming to 1.4 it is more powerful engine and sounds completely different then 1.2.... On highways it gives you the feeling of sports car not just by the way it sounds but the way it cruises... It is equally fun to drive in city...

there is only a difference of 1kmpl in 1.2 and 1.4 engines... To be true for FIAT it all depends on your driving style...

Go for 1.4FIRE Emotion if you really plan to keep it for long....
  7. Re: Punto 1.2 Or Punto 1.4 or Figo 1.2?

@Shashank - Man, 180 on a 1.2 Punto. Dude I seriously need to go for a drive with you. The max I reached with my Palio 1.2 was 160, after that my friend on a Corsa stopped so even I had to pull over. Not sure how much it could do further but 180 is way to great speed for that car.

@Basis - Buddy I would like to warn you about something.

When you initailly plan to buy you think your running is 5k kms per year. Don't forget you are buying a bad bad nasty car. I can bet she won't let you to keep her in the parking space most of the time. Just be carefull with that. I remember once I went down to Mangalore(hometown) on a vacation of 7 days and guess what came back within 3 days. Reason - Couldn't stay without driving my Palio for long.

You might as well consider Diesl Punto, if not go for 1.4. 1.2 is underpowered. I am not saying 1.2 is underpowered but when you compare it with a 16valve 90hp 1.4 Punto, well it is.

Why I am saying this with so much confidence. - I have 1.2 Palio which is 72hp which I thought was a rocket all this while. Moment I bought a Palio 1.6(S10) I got to know what's the difference. So better go for 1.4 or diesel depending upon how many kms you are gonna do in your car.

Power+fantastic mileage = Punto Multijet. More power+ok mileage = Punto 1.4 Petrol. VFM+good mileage = Punto 1.2.
    Hope this clears your doubts.
  8. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore

@PaddleShifter,

I checked the link but still missing the answer for punto 1.4 mileage. :(

@shashanknathani,

Yes, true....I am also now only zooming on Punto 1.4 Emotion only. (left Figo 1.2 , Punto 1.2 E way back!!!!!!! :) )

@MelsonLewis,

You have a good test of Joke.

As you mentioned I am only going for More power+ok mileage = Punto 1.4 Petrol(E).

Can I expect at-least 11 Km with AC in City and 15Km with AC in long drive if I drive with all precautions?
  9. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

See the whole thread. There are quite a few Punto 1.4 owners over there. nav75, The Punter, Ancientmariner.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=214&start=70 (page 7 of the FE thread has 3 Punto 1.4 owners)

Try to read at least the first 14-15 pages here for some idea. The sample size of Punto 1.4 population is a bit low so the data for Linea 1.4 is more accurate. But the engine is same so you can expect similar FE figures from both of them.
  10. Vikrant Joshi

Vikrant Joshi Regolare

Pune

Hi,

I have a punto 1.4 emotion. my requirements were a bit similar as you(@basis), though a bit more on the annual running.
    Am getting an average of around 13.5 without ac and around 12.5 to 13 with ac. These are in b2b traffic and also am a new driver :steering
    And yes the car has enough power :boxer. I get an average of 18 on highways.

Have you taken back to back test drive of 1.2 along with 1.4 ? that would also help you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.