1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.3 decided. But which version?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by basis, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Re: Punto 1.2 Or Punto 1.4 or Figo 1.2?

Hi Basis, just saw your thread. I'm in a hurry so I'll add more details at night but here are 1-2 points from my side.

Regarding GC, Punto has an engine guard below the engine compartment. Very few cars often this feature and AFAIK Fiat is the only company providing this feature below 12 lacs. Not sure above that.

Here is a photo of Figo's engine compartment. You can see my shoe from above (highlighted by arrow).
    [attachment=0:wtpafqcl]Photo-0514.jpg[/attachment:wtpafqcl]

I've driven this Figo for quite a few KMs (40-50Km) and can comment regarding power.

Figo 1.2 has:
    power- 71Bhp@6250rpm
    torque- 102NM@4000rpm.
    Our city drive is usually limited to between 2000-2500rpm, otherwise the FE goes for a toss. You can see yourself how much power and torque you'll be getting around those rpm ranges.

Punto 1.2 has:
    power- 68Bhp@6000rpm
    torque- 96NM@2500rpm

Punto 1.4 has:
    power- 90Bhp@6000Rpm
    torque- 115NM@4500Rpm

Punto 1.4 has absolutely no power issues. People usually get doubtful when it comes to 1.2 with 68Bhp on paper. BUT, see that torque peaks at just 2500rpm in Punto 1.2 which makes it so easier to drive at city roads.
    I've driven Figo 1.2 and can say with confidence that power delivery is not upto the expectation.

Figo 1.4 diesel on the other hand has adequate power but with 5000Km/year, I'm not sure if its a good option.

Also, Punto Emotion offers more features as compared to even Honda City.
    Have a look:
    viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1404&start=10#p24582
    viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1404&start=10#p24592

Regarding spares, the price of spare parts for FIAT cars is lower than industry average.

Photo-0514.jpg
  2. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore

Dear PaddleShifter,

Thanks for your valued advise. I have also gone through your reviews. full of inside detail info. Thanks again.

I donot really understand the words like : " power- 90Bhp@6000Rpm / torque- 115NM@4500Rpm, " "see that torque peaks at just 2500rpm in "...etc... can you pl. enlighten me? How these are related to the car performance?

So wht is the real mileage for Punto 1.2 and Punto 1.4 with full AC in City and in long drive?

For a long term owership, good speed..... should I go for Punto 1.4 E only?
  3. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

@Basis- I am an owner of 1.2 and completed 21500 kms so far. I can say that I get 11 kpl in city and 16 kpl on highway with 100% AC on. These figs go up like 14 kpl and 21 on highway with AC off. Highway driving is just depends on the speed you maintain. I get 21 while drive my car around 80 kph.

Also, I've clocked 165 kph 2-3 times. Initial pickup is not a problem with 1.2 as peak torque come @ 2500 rpm which pulls such a heavy car decently.

1.2 is not at all underpowered, I can say this because of my two trips to Massoorie with full load. I drove my car in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear most of the time and public on rear seat were rolling like anything.

All in all 1.2 is perfect engine but no doubt 1.4 carries more capabilities on highways.
  4. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore

Dear nitinkumardba,

Thanks a lot for your honest reply. This one from Lion's mouth! :)

Now one more answer I need from any owner of Punto 1.4 E who drove his/her car for long.

"What is the real mileage for Punto 1.4 with full AC in City and in long drive?"

BR,
  5. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore

Can somebody confirm me if the ABS+EBD, DRIVER SEAT HEIGHT ADJUST, not there in the Punto 1.2 E model?
  6. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore

Can you also pl. let me know which Fiat dealer is best in Bangalore?

Prerana Motors : Agara Jn., Sarjapur Ring Road : Is this dealer good (for A.S.S)? This is the nearest (2.5 KM) from my house.
  7. arun687

arun687

Mumbai

@basis

Nope mate, it's there in 1.4 Emotion, not in 1.2 Emotion. ABS itself is a big enough reason for you to go for 1.4, if you can afford it. :) I would say if it's within your budget, go for 1.4 E.

Otherwise, 1.2 is a very good car, not underpowered by any means, even with 5 adults and AC. "The torque peaks at 2500rpm" statement means that for most petrol cars, the max torque is achieved at 4000+ rpm and normally in daily driving, we do not go above 3500 rpm frequently. 2500-3000 rpm is an ideal range where most of us drive most of the time. Hence, Punto 1.2 makes best use of the available torque by giving the max of it to the driver under daily driving conditions.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Torque means pulling power, just in case you didn't know. :redcar
  8. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

Hey basis, Punto 1.2 Emotion does not have ABS+EBD and driver seat height adjustment. Punto 1.4 have these 2 features.

You are most welcome basis. Thanks for the nice words for my posts.

Well, I see that your major concerns are power and mileage. Besides longterm ownership costs.

Buddy, I'll recommend that you test drive all 3 cars back to back and have a comparison. Preferably drive Figo first followed by Punto 1.2 and then 1.4.

In simpler terms-
    BHP= Pushing power= top speed
    Torque= Pulling power= acceleration

Acceleration of a car depends upon a mix of the above 2 factors but the more important component is torque.

If you observe a typical driver (car owner), he'll drive the car below 3000rpm most of the times and to get good mileage, one should drive between 1800-2500rpm.

In Figo 1.2, you will get the peak torque (102NM) at 4000rpm. When you are driving at 2000rpm, you'll have lower torque available say 50-60NM only. But in Punto 1.2, the car has its maximum pulling power of 97NM working at 2500rpm, and most of the torque would be available at 2000rpm as well say close to 75-80NM. You can thus say that Punto with 1.2 engine has more ease in driving in city with fewer chances of engine getting stall due to lower speed.
    This is purely my opinion based on TD.

Mileage has been discussed by 1.2 and 1.4 owners already. I'm not the right person to comment on it.

Regarding TATA-FIAT dealership and A.S.S. delivery at Bangalore, I think you'll have no issues with A.S.S. at Bangalore at all. Bangalore guys can comment better but Bangalore is known for one of the best A.S.S. locations apart from Mumbai.
  9. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore

@arun687,

For me safely First. That's why I am inclined towards Punto and not Figo.

If Punto 1.2 E doesnot have ABS+EBD then I will never opt for this.

Better I will spend 1 L extra and will go for Punto 1.4 E.

Tha nks for education me on tech issues.

Can you please also let me me how to check torque/rpm in the car ...( if it is possiable anyway??)?
  10. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3

Refer to the tech specs in the brochure of each car.

Download the Fiat Grande Punto brochure from here:
    http://www.fiat-india.com/brochure-punto.aspx?ModelId=6

Here is the FIGO brochure:
    [attachment=0:2cfm07yz]FIGO Brochure.pdf[/attachment:2cfm07yz]

Be advised- All the "features" explained in the Figo mnual re present in Punto. While Punto has some additional 30-40 features in the Eomtion variant. e.g. Speed sensitive front wipers, rear AC vents, Auto check control, My car settings, programmable speed limit warning system etc etc etc etc...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.