1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.3 decided. But which version?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by basis, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    October 2012 is still a while away and we never know if FIAT undertakes any mid-year changes which can change the entire equation. So we can re-start the discussion at the appropriate time.

This thread is being locked.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  2. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore
    Final Confusion : Punto 1.2 Dynamic or Punto 1.3 Active

Dear Punto 1.2 / Punto 1.3 75 PS Owners,

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I have decided to go for Punto Finally. But still I have some confusion in mind. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Doubts:

[/FONT]1.2 :

1> What is a real mileage?
    2> In the TD I and my both friends (who also took TD) felt Punto has very slow pick-up (lower then Alto also!)
    But the TD car was also very new. Only crossed 550 KM.

So will the pick-up will get faster after crossing 5000 KM or 1.2 is really very slow car? Then overtaking / driving on Highway will have an serious issue?

1.3 75 PS :

1> As my usage will be low (<6000 KM/year> as of now but may increase in future!) so,
    a) will it be an issue if the car not used for 5 days to 1 months?
    b) will the engine get jam in that case?
    2> What is the maintaince cost and spare-parts cost in compare to 1.2?
    3> can I keep this for long term (10 years +)?

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Here is my short TD review for punto 1.3 and 1.2. [/FONT]

Punto 1.3:
    ========

Pros:

1> Interior is nice and smooth on eyes.
    2> GC is very good.
    3> road handling, driving behavior Best.
    4> Easyly eatup all big potholes also.
    5> very less cabin noise.
    6>Ingress-Outgress very good.
    7> Boot space enough.
    8> Build quality will last loooong. (not like maruti,jazz, i20, Figo, micra)
    9> Many hidden features which not there in other cars in this segment.
    10> seating is very comfy.
    11> No need to change gear frequently. In 4th Gear also the car smoothly glide @ 15KM speed! without any knocking! (Just like Live)
    12> AC damm cool!

Cons:
    =====

1> Price is on the higher side.
    2> Back seat leg space bit crampy.

Punto 1.2 :
    ========

There the only difference with the 1.3 is the engine and GC.
    I am not repeating them all.

Pros :
    =====

1> VERY low cabin noise.
    2> very smooth to drive.
    3> Great GC (195mm)
    4> <abbr title="Value for money" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 255); ">VFM</abbr>

Cons:
    =====

1> Pickup in 1st,2nd,3rd is really very poor. this will be an major will in Highways to overtake others.

2> Due to high GC the car ride quality a bit lees then 1.3.
    3> No <abbr title="Anti-Lock Braking System" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(245, 245, 255); ">ABS</abbr> even in 1.2 Dy version.
    4> Price is still on higher side in compare to Figo.

So. in my view except the pick issue then is no much cons in Punto 1.2. So the people
    who donot want a racing but want a safe car to transport from point A to point B for long team can opt for this.

Though I will TD new i20 and will decide there after.

Thanks for reading and your advice.

Mods Note - Threads Merged.
    Please refrain from opening new thread for similar topic.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2012
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    basis, my comments inline.

4. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks , any comment on 1.2?

@ Mods,

Can you pl. keep this as new otherwise readers might confused.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I want to let the 1.2 owners speak about it. Anyway to clear your doubts, 1.2 is not slow at all. It is well adequately powered and will be breeze to drive both in City as well in highway. If you have made your mind for the Petrol then consider the 1.2. But, the practical choice has to be 1.3 MJD.
  6. Initially i too had felt the same as underpowered. My main concern was climbing slope.

But 1.2 is not slow. Need to learn the art to get the best out of it. Overtaking highway was never an issue. Can do 150kmph very easily. Yes, sometime low pick up may be felt at traffic signals but its all about getting used to it.

Mileage - if i drive consistently @ 70-80kmph (more realistic for most of the ppl to get consistent) on highway then i can get ~17kmpl. Key is to keep consistent speed and use light foot. 70-80 is too slow for me in punto so i try to keep it 100-120 and can still manage 15-16kmpl. In city normal traffic, 12-14kmpl.
  7. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Never feel the low punch in my 1.2, ofcourse when you have to shoot you need to press it hard and watch the others in the rear view mirror
    even while overtaking on the highways just shift down to lower gear and raise it hard, and watch the Punto glides with a smile. ofcourse one has to forget the FE while doing these things.
  8. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto 1.2 Dynamic vs. 1.3 Active

today I got the following (attached PDF).

I have two questions.

1> Is this list latest as per 2012 April?
    2> How often "spark plug/Injector set" has to be changed?

I see the matainance/spare-parts cost not a big difference in 1.2 and 1.3!

So, I an tilded towards 1.3 active.

-------------------------------------------

sorry ..not able to attach the PDf as it is 1.3 MB.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  9. marvin patrick gray

marvin patrick gray Amatore

Lucknow
    Being an owner of 1.2 I can say that :
    -Close to no engine-noise with windows rolled up.
    -Adequate power to tackle routine driving in city as well as highways.
    -Great AC
    -You feel that the car is in total control at any given speed.
    -Mileage is around 12-14 in city and 15-17 on highway.
    -With all new features in 2012 dynamic 1.2, I believe its a great car to own and be proud about.
    As you say that your running would be less, it is the best option. May be look for discounts in Dec 2012 when the dealers would try to clear up their stocks of Jan-Mar 2012 make.
    Anybody who says that 1.2 gives 16kmpl in city is fooling himself. NOT POSSIBLE. Had I been aware that there would be a Punto 2012 version coming up, I would not have taken Punto Jan-2011 and waited for the 2012 version.

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  10. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore
    Urgent help needed on Punto 1.3 Active.

Dear all,

Due to urgent need I decided to go for Punto 1.3 Active through Lease Plan (through my company).

Pros:

1> No money need to pay now.
    2> Roadtax+registration+ insurance for 3 years paid by company (If I stay for 3 years more)
    3> Tax saving

Cons:

If I left the company with in 3 years , I have to a good bulk amount

Question:

In one side my company will pay the 1st year ( and next 2 years) insurance and in other hand Fiat offering 1st year insurance free.

Now can I ask the Fiat dealers to give me the 1st year insurance (20K approx.) + 7K corp. discount and reduce the Onroad price? and charge the 1st year insurance from my company?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.