1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.3 decided. But which version?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by basis, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

I second Shashank. My 1.2 has completed 30K kms. Pickup\millage\top speed are really great. One of my friend followed me to Dehradun. He was driving ANHV 1.6 diesel. I was not able to catch me in ghat sections.

Also, I dont like braking system of new Varna. A BIG BIG NO. I found brakes very hard , no matter it has ABS. My 1.2 shows better braking capability.
  2. marvin patrick gray

marvin patrick gray Amatore

Lucknow
    This battle of Punto(1.2 Dynamic-2012) vs Jazz(Base Version) is having a lot of action and adventure it seems.

Jazz was a perfect choice for petrol heads till the Punto 2012 arrived i believe. With a lot many features in Dynamic 1.2 it is almost up with the Jazz(Base). Only difference is Jazz would have 2 airbags, ABS and EBD. Apart from this there would be a few extra bottleholders and thats it. Fit and finish is almost similar to Punto, with Fabia being the landmark in this segment.
    Now the aftersales part :- Fiat cars has poor after-sales is a well-known fact but look at the sales of Jazz since a few months. its been 500 odd since a long time. Even being a good car Jazz is not successful and labelled as a flop car yet a perfect hatch. So how will it fair in after-sales after a few years can be imagined which would not be great. And you plan to keep your car for 10 years so forget about selling it, you might want to gift it to one of your cousins who has just started a job or something.
    You will take your car on a highway once in 2 months as you said so you would expect it to behave in a matured way and Punto is known for its highway behaviour. You would feel as if you are in a sedan rather than a hatch when you drive a Punto on a highway.
    All your weekend shopping can easily be accomodated in either of the boots that you get with Punto or Jazz. Both cars give you 60:40 split option as well.
    On safety point, I would like to state that yes Jazz might feel a little safer with that airbag and ABD but its body IS not as strong as Punto. On the other hand Jazz has an immobilizer but Punto has immobilizer with rolling code, Punto's key is very hard to be forged, you have your doors automatically locked as soon as you reach 20kmph, the thing is Punto's security does not require any action but Jazz's security does. Immobilizer with rolling code, doors automatically locked, nice strong body etc do not require any action to provide you security but airbags/ABS do require action(accident) to provide you security.
    In terms of driving, let me be honest, you would not win any drags, red-light to red-light races etc. but you will feel the great feedback of the steering, how it weighs nicely when you speed up, no underbody scratching with that 195mm of GC(Jazz is with 160mm only).
    The torque thing is already explained by someone. So you see its all about torque when it comes to city driving.

Finally :-

In terms of
    Mileage :- Jazz/Punto
    Looks:- Punto
    Feel good factor:- Jazz/Punto
    Space:- Jazz
    Practicality :- Punto
    Features which are actually benefits :- Punto
    Safety :- Jazz/Punto
    Driving :- Jazz(faster than Punto anyday), Punto(mature than Jazz anyday)

See for yourself and then decide, personally speaking, I will go for

PUNTO 1.2 DYNAMIC 2012(OCEANIC BLUE).
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    2 people like this.
  3. Anish_A

Anish_A

Bangalore
    Honda Jazz is a beauty when it comes to Petrol.

Great Cabin Space great Interiors and a very "girlish car".

If it's petrol then Jazz sounds good to me although Punto will stand ahead in terms of long stretch on the highway and ghati terrains.

Anish
  4. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore
    Dear Friends,

First of all thanks a TON for all your valuable time and effort in guiding me to a right direction. Sorry for the delay in update. Very recently I have taken TD of Skoda 1.6,New MS Dzire CS, and Micra.
    Micra...a worthless car (IMO) to discussed. But the rest two impressed me and my family a lot. Also I have decided to go for Petrol only so no mote Punto 1.3 ...

Also Jazz is out as it is not good and safe for highway/ rough road driving.

Also a pic from team bhp changed my mind.

Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage - Team-BHP

As safety is the first point for me so my list of option also changed.

1> Skoda Fabia 1.2 (P)/1.6
    2> Punto 1.4
    3> MS New DZire CS

(Punto 1.2 also out as it doesnot have ABS+EBD)

The issue is Fabia 1.6 and Punto 1.4 both 7.5 L (Bangalore) which I cannot afford. Only if I get a 1 L discount then only I will consider.

Then what about the rest options? What is your view?

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Dear Friends,

First of all thanks a TON for all your valuable time and effort in guiding me to a right direction. Sorry for the delay in update. Very recently I have taken TD of Skoda 1.6,New MS Dzire CS, and Micra.
    Micra...a worthless car (IMO) to discussed. But the rest two impressed me and my family a lot. Also I have decided to go for Petrol only so no mote Punto 1.3 ...

Also Jazz is out as it is not good and safe for highway/ rough road driving.

Also a pic from team bhp changed my mind.

Fiat Punto Accident: B-pillar damage - Team-BHP

As safety is the first point for me so my list of option also changed.

1> Skoda Fabia 1.2 (P)/1.6
    2> Punto 1.4
    3> MS New DZire CS

(Punto 1.2 also out as it doesnot have ABS+EBD)

The issue is Fabia 1.6 and Punto 1.4 both 7.5 L (Bangalore) which I cannot afford. Only if I get a 1 L discount then only I will consider.

Then what about the rest options? What is your view?

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore

If you can stretch a bit you can consider punto mjd (diesel) dynamic which has ABS/EBD and its OTR is around 7.3 in bangalore. Though you said petrol only but it makes sense if you spend the same amount on a diesel rather than petrol. Theres no harm in saving some money in running costs :).
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Mate, Skoda Fabia could be a body builder among Chinese stuff but no comparison to FIAT at all. Linea, Punto's passenger cabin/roof has never been seen collapsed so far. Both these cars have gone through some of the toughest impacts but still the cabin intact. So if you imagine that it could be on par with Punto/Linea in case of a comparatively massive vehicle hit, Forget it. They are unbelievable stuff. For Polo/Vento/Fabia, there are many cases where occupants lost their lives due cabin collapse. I have heard that even Fabia/Polo have impact beams, but the question then rises, are they equal in rigidity to FIAT's beams.

ABS/Buzzers/Airbags here & there are just to confuse people. That hardly saves if the opposite vehicle happens to be a truck/bus. Every manufacturer provides that & get their cars ranked secured. It's a different story altogether in real world situation. I though this point to bring to your notice by the way.

Sure, Fabia/Polo is far securer & better built than other cars but let Punto/Linea or even Palio be alone here. They are a different breed altogether & have displayed insane solidity to view for all in protecting their occupants:mrgreen:.
    1 person likes this.
  7. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    If you have ruled out Jazz due to safety reason, I can't understand a tin can like dzire in the list. I went through the link posted by you, if anyone has any doubts about efficacy of A.S.S and capability of Punto as a potent savior, link posted by you should put those doubts to rest. Between Skoda and Punto, I guess there are enough stories about Skoda A.S.S.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Fabia 1.6 is One Thousand times better car than Dezire. I still don't understand why you shortlisted Dezire even though your priority is safety. This is huge contradiction here. Comparing with Dezire, Honda Jazz is much safer and better option. It is world car and sold in many markets other than India as well. Do you know why this Dezire was Invented by Maruti and where it is sold?

Ironically hatchback Jazz has more boot space than the one, so called sedan by Maruti.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  9. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore
    *please donot get disturbed if my words are strong on your opinion. All my personal opinion only.

Dear Friends,

When I see a lot of response on my question I feel proud to be a part of this forum.

Well, coming to the point;

What I need :

A hatchback car for my family of 3 (for 2 weeks of a year it may go upto 6)
    which is;

1> Safe ( fundamentally very well build and not only based on some airbags),
    2> Price : 6.5 L onroad (Bangalore) max.
    3> Low TCO on long run (low maintenance cost)
    4> mileage : more is better
    5> Good engine , GC should not be an issue
    6> Boot space : 270L +
    7> As I will drive only on the week-ends and once in a month long-drive (incl. Ghat area) so most of the time car will be idel. So do not want to buy a Diesel Car. (Though I LOVE Punto 1.3 2012 Dynamic)
    8> Smooth Riding, enough space. spl. on back seat.

I will never go for a Race so normal pick-up,rev etc. is acceptable for me.

About myself : I am not a car expert, even I am a very novice driver. But took a lot TD and research (as I do before investing on any product...as it is my hard owned money after all.)

* I never got a chanch for Jazz , skoda 1.2 and Punto petrol TD.

My findings:

1> The best build cars are, Punto, Polo, Skoda. (all same level)
    2> Best interior : Honda Jazz
    3> Best Looks : Punto
    4> Best Petrol Motor : Jazz 1.2
    5> Best Diesel Motor : Fiat 1.3 MJD
    6> Best In-Out : Punto
    7> Best Space : Jazz, Skoda, Punto

My TD feeling on some cars :
    I purposefully take the cars on bad to very bad roads.

Brio : Very bad riding, no Boot space, In-out...shit...only good thing is interior..great.

Punto 1.3 : I feel in Love with it. ( But again I need a petrol car only)

Skoda 1.6: I Love it again. but donot want to buy as come to know the very high TCO and very poor ASS.

I10: Good but low boot space and tall boy look ...I donot like.

i20 : Am I riding in a BOAT???????

Micra : No time to spent on it....

Figo: Not taken a TD but got very poor feedback. It is a car for Poor Indians from Ford. How we suddendy forgot the Ford cars TCO always high??????

Swift : Ugliest car in world?

New Dzire : Like the interior and riding. but no ABS in the mid petrol version.

* Donot know why many Indians thing "HONDA" makes the Best ever cars..Jazzzzzz ? any logic plz.

I donot have any attachment with any brand but with my hard earned money, off-course.

* Donot want Punto 1.2 Dynamic as It does not have ABS , and Punto 1.4 is out of my reach.

So hope, all you got my view. What is your view here?

Thanks for your time and effort.
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Basis, your calculations are very spot on & unbiased. But for diesel/petrol, i would like to post my last thought.

Pls don't consider it like your daily run as 10-15 kms so it should be a petrol only.
    Generally people who keep the cars for 5-6 yrs & with even limited travel, do manage in the range of 50000-100000 kms. Diesel here means absolutely half running cost to the petrol. Fuel price + Extra FE. You will save around Rs. 160000 to Rs. 300000 depending on how much you cover during your vehicle lifespan. Moreover, expect some Rs 4-5 hike in coming days on petrol. With no disadvantage on for driving pleasure of diesel, hummm... pls think once more. I am sure you have decided it smartly but still look at a bigger picture once more. With 45 ltr of tankful petrol you have to shed Rs. 3200 at fuel pump. For diesel, it's Rs. 1800. You won't cover more than 500-600 kms in petrol@best whereas in diesel at worst you will always be 700-800 kms per tankful.

Think again! Good luck!
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.