1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.3 decided. But which version?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by basis, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto 1.2 Or Punto 1.4 or Figo 1.2?

Dear Friends and Car experts,

This is my first post here.

I am planning to buy a Hatchback (within 6.5 L (MAX.): On Road). It is my NEED not a luxury.

I stay in Bangalore with my 11 month baby and wife. My need is :
    1> On Emergency 2> Long drive during week ends. Use will be not much in city.

A> Should I but Diesel Car Or Petrol ? (Petrol price is getting too high day by day. )

Following are the important points for me.

a> Safety. Car should be robust, well build and roughed.
    b> Quality riding & driving comfort. Good sitting space in front and rear.
    c> Good Mileage.
    d> Low Maintain cost (Low TCO).
    e> I am not looking for resale point.

Basis on these points I selected

1> Fiat Grande Punto Emotion 1.2 /1.4 (this cost 5.5 to 6.5L in Bangalore, but without airbag etc...)
    2> Ford Figo Titanium 1.2 (I found some complain about headlight and ground clearance with 5 full size people.) (this cost 5.5 L in Bangalore)

Questions:

1> Can you please let me know which car should I buy and why?

2> What about the feedback on Punto and Figo?

3> Can I Fit a CNG or LPG kit to a Punto petrol in future ?

My drive will be maximum 5000 KM per year.

I personally like pertol engine but now as the fuel cost is going high and high so bit confused.

I found the following pros and cons for each engine.

Diesel :

Pros:

1> Lower Cost , 2> Higher Mileage 3>do not need cell charged to start the engine (if I donot use the car for long time)

Cons:

1> Should run everyday otherwise need to change many parts
    2> High maintain cost after 4-5 years. better to sale!
    3> Cannot convert to CNG./LPG easily.

Petrol:

Pros:

1> Easy to maintain
    2> Car cost 1 L less
    3> If I donot use for long term also just need to recharge the cell
    4> less noise & vibration, refined,
    5> Can be install CNG/LPG ( but not sure with Ford Figo)

Cons:

1> High fuel cost
    2> lower mileage

Dear Experts , Is this all correct? Plz. validate.

question :

With Car should I buy .

1> Petrol or Diesel?

2> If Petrol ...... then :

a>Ford Figo 1.2 Duratec Petrol Titanium

Or

b> Punto 1.2 FIRE Petrol Emotion?

c> Punto 1.4 FIRE Petrol Punto 1.4 Emotion ( and why should I spend 50K then 1.2 Emotion) ?

3> Is a 1.2 L Petrol Engine underpowered for Long drive with 4 person and other carry?

Today I again gone and checked Figo and Punto.

Now I and my wife more inclined towards, yes, PUNTO (P).

As the build quality, GC, engine, both front and rear sitting , thing support, much better then Figo.

I donot bother about music system, bluetooth, etc.

I want the CAR should be robust, good engine, breaking system, GC, suspension, boot space.

I really feel safe, felt good , while in Punto. Feel as if I am in a sedan class car.

I will only miss the Airbag, but that's ok.

In the month-end I will go for TD of Punto 1.2, Punto 1.4 , Figo 1.2.

Now my question/confussion is:

1> Should I go for Punto 1.2 or 1.4 (both Emotion version, as my fund will noway permit more then that.)

I donot like a under-powered car.

2> What is the real mileage of Punto 1.2 in City and Highway with Full A/C?

What is the real mileage of Punto 1.4 in City and Highway with Full A/C?

3> As for 1.2 version I have to pay less so should I go for 1.2 only? Mind it : I will use it mostly for week-end drive and if needed in emergency.

4> Or should I buy 1.4L version (6.5L) in Bangalore though the mileage will be lesser and price is higher.

5> Prerana Motors : Agara Jn., Sarjapur Ring Road : Is this dealer good (for A.S.S)?
    or KHT Motors : Kundanahalli main road, Whitefield ?

Sorry for the very long and detailed post.

(I am only interested either in Punto or Figo.)

Best regards and Thanks in Advance.
  2. arun687

arun687

Mumbai
    Re: Punto 1.2 Or Punto 1.4 or Figo 1.2?

Alright, I had the same dilemma 8 months ago and ended up buying the Punto 1.2 Emotion. I feel that Punto is the one to go for, Figo itself is a very good car, but I like Punto better, better looks + Better drive + it's a Fiat.

For 5k kms a year, you won't recover the extra you're paying for diesel, so my suggestion would be to stick with petrol.

Now, if you go for Punto 1.4, you get ABS too which is very good. So if your budget permits, go ahead for the Punto 1.4, its totally worth it, else Punto 1.2 it is.

My Punto 1.2 gives me around 11-12 in City and 15+ in highway with full AC, overall around 13.5 is what I'm recording until now. No the car is not underpowered by any means, its really good and gets better as you clock more kms.

All the best and keep us posted on your decision. :)
  3. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India

Since you will be mostly driving it on the highways, either go for Punto 1.4 or 1.3mjd.
    Now, i know your running is not that much but if you are getting arguably the best diesel engine in the country, why not save some money every time you fill that fuel tank and even while driving on every kilometer!
    However, I think in you budget you will get the emotion 1.3mjd and emotion pack 1.4. So, if you want those extra features like alloys, blue&me (wonderful feature to have), usb port, stereo mounted controls etc. go for the 1.4 (its a great engine and opens up a lot after 3k kms).

Also, you must check out the discounts. You may end up getting the 1.3mjd epack if you are lucky. :)
  4. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai

For 5000 kms a year, Petrol it is. However higher Petrol prices are going to be, its difficult to recover additional diesel engine cost of Rs. 1 lac for this running. Plus you like refined Petrol engines.

For 1.2 or 1.4, suggest you take TD of both back to back on the same road / route & then decide whichever you like the best.
  5. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore

Dear Eperts,

Thanks a lot for the reply. But one question still open !

2> What is the real mileage of Punto 1.2 in City and Highway with Full A/C? : arun687 answered this. But is the 1.2 sluggish when the AC on and with 5 person + full boot?

What is the real mileage of Punto 1.4 in City and Highway with Full A/C? (Pl. some body here here).

I have some more question?

Is there any ground clearance problem (GC) in Punto?

What is the parts cost in compare to swift/Figo?
  6. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India

I have an adobe file with the parts price comparison between the c+ segment cars. Since Linea and punto share the same parts, prices would be similar(or lesser) for punto than linea.
    If you want I can mail it to you.

Another thing you must consider is that Punto has a service interval of 15k kms/1 year which is the highest in India in this segment. :clap

As far as the GC is concerned, though Punto has a gc of 170mm which sounds sufficient on paper, i have come across a few ownership threads where the owners have mentioned the front bumper scraping the road. However, you can be rest assured that the engine would be safe as there is a thick metal sheet covering the engine from underneath in the Punto. I am not sure how many other cars have this feature.

Also, the gap between the front bumper and radiator is very less in Figo which is a matter of concern IMHO.

I believe 1.2 with AC and 5 people+luggage would struggle on highways specially if you like driving fast but I would leave this to be clarified by the real owners and so is the issue on mileage.
  7. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore

Dear Ichimaru,

Thanks a lot.You enlighten me with some new points! Pl. mail me the comparison.

BR,
  8. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India

Have sent you a PM, please check.

Since you don't like underpowered cars, I strongly recommend either the 1.3MJD or the 1.4P (E+). Trust me you will enjoy (read be spoiled) by the features in the E+ :D
    The 1.4P is a very under rated engine and the car literally flies after 2k rpm. (I have test driven it so can comment on this).
  9. basis

basis Amatore

Bangalore

Dear,

Pl.check ur inbox.

Now I make my mind for Petrol verion. My max. fund with be 6.5L. So cannont go for 1.4 E+.

Now after ur TD feedback...I am interested in 1.4 E.
  10. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat

5k kms in a year justifies petrol only, not even lpg or cng. the kits will cost you some money, and recovering the kit's cost will also take a long period, forget about savings. whether figo or punto you have to decide. all we can can do is point you a car and that will be punto as we all love it. but eventually its you who will be driving it. i have driven the 1.2 punto and trust me it is a nice little engine. it revs without any problem and you will find it peppier in the city. since you have a fix budget 1.2 seems to be the ideal choice for you. for GC i have heard owners of both the cars complaining a bit. figo is a better VFM but punto is an upmarket car. all the best for the choice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.