1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Punto 1.2 vs Swift 1.3

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by HopeNGlory, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopeNGlory

Andheri E
    I have got a Tata NaNo second hand to learn to drive etc, it has been four months, it is a decent car but in the citi to drive and now I am ready for a proper car,
    I have read about the Punto in almost on every forum and also did a test drive here in Mumbai, a brand new Punto Sports 90 BHP will be a dream but for now there are my options

1. Fiat Punto Emotion 1.2 [2009-2011] / Nov 2010 / 18K KM done / 2.75 L (the very reason I am here)
    2. Maruti Suzuki Swift [2005-2010] VXi 1.3 / Nov 2009 / 22 K KM done / 3.05 L (too much pressure from my family to consider)
    Any help and advise is more than welcome, looking forward to learn and take a wise call
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    If you are restricted between these 2, I would suggest take Swift.

But I am sure you would get some good value second hand Punto 1.3, in this price range.
    1 person likes this.
  3. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    I would recommend Punto over Swift for the following logical reasons

- Service interval is longer.
    - Younger car & if extended warranty was taken then it will be in force roughly till this year end. Yes, warranty is transferable in case of Fiat.
    - 1.2 petrol felt like the most driveable from all engine options offered on Punto (1.2, 1.4, 1.3 75hp & 1.3 90hp). I have driven all four & am a happy owner of a 1.3 90hp.
    - Safety protocol (in case of an accident) of fuel cut off, cabin lights ON & doors UNLOCK is not available on any other hatch.
    - Maruti has discontinued the 1.3 petrol engine in 2010. Fiat still sells the 1.2 engine.

In simple words, Punto will provide better Value For Money than Swift.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. DCpunto

DCpunto Novizio

If you are going to keep the car for next 3+ years go with Punto, only point where swift scores is resale value and that would be negated if you keep it for another 3 years since difference would be too low.

More over don't forget you will get following things extra with punto ABS with EBD, Rear wiper defogger, Desmodronic Foldable key, Electrically Adjustable Outside Rear View Mirrors and long service interval.

However being said if you can extend your budget by another 50k-1 lac you can get Punto 1.3 MJD or Linea TJET.
  5. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

I would say none :)
    If you want to pickup fiat , i would say go for diesel option.
    For petrol , you can get better cars in that range.
    1 person likes this.
  6. HopeNGlory

Andheri E
    Thanks Ravi, technically not restricted but I would want to buy a premium hatch and there is a budget constraint, i-20 is for about 3.50 L, I am no keen on Wagon R, Brio , i10 etc. Having driven Swift a few times, it feels like a easy car to drive but lacks a premium feel, having said that it is still an option to consider, also there is already a Swift in the family.

I will try to look for a Punto 1.3 in the price range also don't mind stretching to 3 if the car is worth the extra 25k.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Punto looks better of the two offers price wise. Both are good cars generally speaking. Look at the actual condition, the way the cars are maintained.

Try to sqeeze the Punto at price for a better offer. The Punto is more rugged than the Swift. Being at Andheri-E, Fiat ASC is not a problem for you also. If you are a second owner of any vehicle, resale value as such diminishes. What you can benefit probably is quicker selling of the Swift in the next few years. Post another 5 years of usage and both the cars should have very similar or very low selling prices.
  8. HopeNGlory

Andheri E
    Thanks Amitp, Punto does offer move VFM over a Swift and I do think that I will keep the car at least for 2 years if not more. Having driven the Punto it feel a very heavy and strong car. Feel very safe and there is that "thud" when you shut the door. I am leaning a lot towards the Punto 1.2 but the only worry remains after sales and services and the spare part scene. my friend owns a Punto, infact he had a petrol second hand which he has sold and has got a brand new Punto Disel, he has been a very happy wonder of the car just like you :).

I also did a test drive on the new Punto but as I am not a confident driver yet I am opting for a second hand and yes I look to keep it for atleast 2 years if not more.

- - - Merged Post - - -

thanks DCpunto, the car stays with me for at least 2 years if it is more durable than might last longer, not sure if ABS is available in Punto 1.2 (2009-2011) model may be in the new Punto, will check on that. Budget can be extended for another 50K max, dont want to do Linea only hatch.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

its like comparing a horse with a donkey.
  10. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

I suppose you are quoting swift 1.3 P as a donkey?
    Really;have you driven one ever?
    It can run circles around the wheezy little 1.2 of the Punto.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.